Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

Re: Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

not a fan of this move. Legursky couldn't hold the job last year.

just put hills in there and see how he performs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    not a fan of this move. Legursky couldn't hold the job last year.

just put hills in there and see how he performs.
    Obviously others have failed to hold this job even through training camp.

I think Legursky is just next in line, but I think on Sept 11th it will be Hills.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    No offense to Hills... and I hope he proves me wrong obviously... But I think this is more an indictment of our current prospects (at Guard) than it is Hills seizing the job or anything. Consider that they are sticking a guy who's never played Guard, who has done nothing in his career and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe the light went on. Sorry I don't buy it.
    +1 same issue with Legursky
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature
    By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54290.html

Doug Legursky started 36 games at Marshall, where he registered 235 knockdowns and 23 touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only four sacks. That placed him at the top of the list for both the Rimington Award and Outland Trophy.

Legursky was sure to be selected somewhere during the 2008 NFL Draft ó until his Pro Day rolled around.

Legursky was listed at 6-foot-3 in college. When he was measured at his Pro Day, he came in two inches shorter.

Legursky went from a sure-fire draft choice to an undrafted rookie free-agent selection of the Steelers, with little chance of making the 53-man roster and an even harder time making an impression on his coach.

"A couple years ago, I admit that he wasn't much to look at," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Now, Legursky is Tomlin's starting right guard.

"Even out of high school and going into college and into the league, (my height) has been a part of my career," Legursky said. "It is going to continue my entire life, so I am not going to worry about it now."

With the offensive lines around the league getting bigger ó especially in the interior ó the Steelers are comfortable with employing the shortest starting guard in the NFL.

Legursky was moved to the top of the depth chart Monday and will start tomorrow in the Steelers' final preseason game against Carolina.

Barring injury or unforeseen misfortune, Legrusky will start the season opener at Baltimore.

"Anytime you get the opportunity to play in this league, you have to take advantage of it," Legursky said. "I am going to go out there and show what I can do and hopefully help this team get some wins."

Even though Tomlin has yet to make it official, players in the locker room are comfortable with Legursky, who won the four-way competition by beating out incumbent Ramon Foster, Tony Hills and Chris Scott.

"I trust (Legursky) more than anybody else on the field," veteran right tackle Willie Colon said. "I know he is going to be out there and do a good job."

Foster started 11 games last year including the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but is sure Legursky will be the starter when the season opens.

"He is definitely an NFL-caliber starter," Foster said. "It is one of those things that you have to go out and continue to work every day to get that back."

The Steelers have been believers in Legursky since he filled in at numerous positions a year ago and actually started four games for the injured Trai Essex at right guard early in the season.

But what really opened the Steelers' eyes was the performance he had in Super Bowl XLV, when he was forced to fill in for the injured Maurkice Pouncey at center and played well enough to neutralize mammoth Green Bay nose tackle B.J. Raji.

"Going into the offseason I know I was going to fight for a starting position," Legursky said. "It is kind of nice of having everybody thinking you are not going to make it. I am not going to go around and try to convince people. I am just going to play the way I play and let my play speak for itself."

Tomlin isn't concerned with Legursky's small frame.

"I don't get into the cookie-cutter mentality as regards to players," Tomlin said "He is consistently competitive. He has good technique and built in leverage."

Read more: Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WZqkOTBG

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

I LOVE the NFL, but one evolution that I hate is the fact that O-lineman has gone almost exclusively to a 'who's the biggest' contest. Compared to 30 years ago, when many teams (like the Steelers) went with smaller, athletic linemen. It just made things more interesting, allowed for diverse talents to compete (smaller, faster guy vs. big mauler). Now, sadly--it's all about being a big mauler it seems.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Legursky to start Steelers' preseason finale, season opener at right guard

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers guard Doug Legursky spikes the ball after a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown last season against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

In what has a become revolving door at the position for the second year in a row, Doug Legursky will start at right guard in Thursday night's preseason finale in Carolina and, barring injury, will also open the regular season as the starter against the Baltimore Ravens.

Converted tackle Tony Hills started the previous two preseason games at right guard and looked as though he was in line to be the starter. But, after last week's game against the Atlanta Falcons, it was determined he lacked the experience and total understanding of the position.

Legursky, who is also the backup center, started four games at right guard last season after Trai Essex began the season as the starter. Essex returned from injury and started three more games, but he was eventually replaced by Ramon Foster for the rest of the season.

Curiously, Foster has not started any of the preseason games at right guard and is not really considered in the mix.

Legursky (6-1, 315) is the team's smallest offensive lineman, but the coaches think he understands the offense and reads defenses better than any of his linemates, even Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/11 ... z1We5l4uU9

Legend

We've got an undersized, undrafted LB that doesn't fit the mold of his position and does just fine for himself.

I see Legursky as a similar story. And his size, leverage might just be a huge asset against some of the big interior linemen in the league. Out of all the guys that have had a shot at the position, I don't think any have the power/quickness that Bronko brings to the table.

If we just give this guy a fair shot and a chance, I think he's gonna turn out real good in time.

He handled Raji pretty well in the SuperBowl and that's the kind of power we need that the other candidates just didn't offer.

Don't get me wrong, Legursky has some things he needs to work on, but he showed flashes of really good play next to Adams last year and I think he and Colon could really solidify the right side of the line once they have a chance to work together for an extended period.

Rudy...Rudy....Rudy.....

How this organization can continue to pay a QB $100 million while putting him behind a $10 OL is beyond me. Ben has survived a number of hits because of his age, but I can promise that this won't continue as he gets older. The hits (and concussions) will mount.

This OL will get mauled by the Ravens just like last year. The Steelers better hope that Flacco will continue to cough up games, because they won't be able to count on the offense being consistent.
    The Steelersí went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Congrats to #64 for getting the nod at RG. It's been long overdue.

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I think this OL is coming along just fine and has been for some time. It looks like they drafted their heir apparent LT in Gilbert this year too. Time will tell, but I really like the flexibility the team has put together along the OL.

#7 is always gonna be in situations where he will take more sacks than your avg. NFL QB. That's just the way he plays, and it is reality. That's fine w/ me. #7 has more SB rings than your avg. QB has too...

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Legursky to start Steelers' preseason finale, season opener at right guard

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers guard Doug Legursky spikes the ball after a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown last season against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

In what has a become revolving door at the position for the second year in a row, Doug Legursky will start at right guard in Thursday night's preseason finale in Carolina and, barring injury, will also open the regular season as the starter against the Baltimore Ravens.

Converted tackle Tony Hills started the previous two preseason games at right guard and looked as though he was in line to be the starter. But, after last week's game against the Atlanta Falcons, it was determined he lacked the experience and total understanding of the position.

Legursky, who is also the backup center, started four games at right guard last season after Trai Essex began the season as the starter. Essex returned from injury and started three more games, but he was eventually replaced by Ramon Foster for the rest of the season.

Curiously, Foster has not started any of the preseason games at right guard and is not really considered in the mix.

Legursky (6-1, 315) is the team's smallest offensive lineman, but the coaches think he understands the offense and reads defenses better than any of his linemates, even Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/11 ... z1We5l4uU9

I like how Tomlin and Kug, have every man compete. But I kind of feel bad for Hills, after all we all thought, including himself, that he finally "got it".

I kind of wonder, how Gilbert did get a shot at RG.