Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

Legursky may be right man for the job

August 29th, 2011

Have the Steelers made a lineup change as quietly as they did in promoting Kevin Colbert from director of football operations to general manager?

On the team’s updated depth chart, Doug Legursky, not Tony Hills, is the first-team right guard.

Hills had been listed as No. 1 there, and he started at right guard in the Steelers’ 34-16 win against the Atlanta Falcons last Saturday.

He was cryptic when asked if anything had been resolved vis a vis the competition at right guard.

“The coaches, I believe, they made their decision and we’ll find out the season opener and see what happens,” Hills said before practice on Monday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said last week that Hills was getting the starting nod against the Falcons because of merit and one another reason: the coaches hadn’t seen enough of him at right guard the previous week due to injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

The Steelers may have ultimately decided that Legursky, a favorite of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, is their most reliable option at right guard.

Not that Hills, one of the bright spots of preseason practice, is conceding anything at the one unsettled position along the offensive line.

“I definitely want to be that guy, there’s no ifs ands or buts about it,” Hills said. “The opener of the year, you guys will know what’s going on.”

Maybe we already do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... r-the-job/

Re: Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Two sources confirm that Doug Legursky will start the season as the #Steelers starting right guard.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXKb6Lus

Legend

I like it. I'm a big Legursky fan and think he'll be great.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Two sources confirm that Doug Legursky will start the season as the #Steelers starting right guard.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXKb6Lus
    Legursky is a great kid and he plays hard, but I'm a little disappointed that no one else stepped up.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

If Scott-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon is your starting 5, which other two OL get helmets on gameday? Hills and Essex (since they both have G/T flexibility)? I'd imagine that Gilbert gets the rookie redshirt. Perhaps Foster goes from being a starter to a gameday inactive more often than not?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    If Scott-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon is your starting 5, which other two OL get helmets on gameday? Hills and Essex (since they both have G/T flexibility)? I'd imagine that Gilbert gets the rookie redshirt. Perhaps Foster goes from being a starter to a gameday inactive more often than not?
    The Steelers have a bunch of options, but they're all kind of mediocre. I think that Gilbert is probably the best backup tackle option, but Essex and Hills offer more flexibility. Foster is less bad than Essex at OG, but Essex is probably the lesser of two evils at OT.

It will be interesting to see what they do at the goalline. Would they bring in Essex, Foster or whoever at RG and continue to use Legursky as a FB? Or will they abandon using a big goalline FB?

Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Doug Legursky

The Steelers may have quietly settled on a starter at right guard.

Doug Legursky is listed as No. 1 at right guard on the Steelers' updated depth chart, a week after Tony Hills held the spot.

A change to the depth chart is not uncommon, but the one at right guard came after Hills had said he thought the coaches have already decided on a starter at the position.

"You'll have to wait and see," he said before practice yesterday.

Hills has started the past two games at right guard. Coach Mike Tomlin said he started against the Falcons last Saturday so coaches could get more of a look at him at the position. Hills played sparingly at right guard in an Aug. 18 game against Philadelphia because of injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

Legursky had been listed as second-team center. Trai Essex, who re-signed with the Steelers listed week, is now listed as second-team, behind Maurkice Pouncey.

BACKUP QB BATTLE

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger mostly watched practice Monday, and for good reason.

Tomlin has to decide who is Roethlisberger's primary backup, with Byron Leftwich sidelined indefinitely after breaking his upper left arm Saturday night. Batch and Dixon split snaps yesterday, but Tomlin said nothing should be read into the fact that Batch ran the first-team offense.

Tomlin said the two will battle for the No. 2 job this week. A "final determination," he said, will be made after the Steelers play their final preseason game Thursday night against the host Carolina Panthers.

Leftwich underwent surgery yesterday, and Tomlin said the Steelers are going to "let it calm down for a couple of days before we get to a determination" on the veteran's status.

If the Steelers place Leftwich on injured reserve, his season is over.

The Steelers could "waive/injure" Leftwich, and if he clears waivers his rights would still belong to them. Doing this would allow Leftwich to return at some point this season if he is healthy enough to do so.

POUNCEY'S ANKLE WOES

Pouncey didn't practice yesterday after hurting his left ankle in the Steelers' 34-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons. The Pro Bowl center said the injury isn't serious, though he conceded that it is a lingering one.

Pouncey has been hindered by the same ankle he sprained last January, an injury that caused him to miss the Super Bowl. Pouncey said he has been dealing with calcium build-up in his ankle.

"Once it breaks down, it gets sore," he said, "but it's all right, not that bad. I keep going through the same process, but hopefully I'll get through it soon."

Tomlin said a decision on whether Pouncey will play Thursday has not been made. In addition to Pouncey, wide receivers Hines Ward (quad) and Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), strong safety Troy Polamalu (quad) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (elbow) didn't practice yesterday.

MCFADDEN EAGER TO RETURN

Cornerback Bryant McFadden, sidelined for most of the preseason with what he said is a torn hamstring, practiced yesterday. The key as to whether McFadden plays against the Panthers is how he feels today.

"And also Wednesday," McFadden said. "I've got to be smart."

It has been a preseason of stops and starts for McFadden. with more of the latter for the eighth-year veteran. He is trying to work his way back from the first serious hamstring injury of his career, and the 6-foot, 190-pounder is trying to balance pushing himself without overdoing it.

McFadden said he wants to play Thursday so he can work on his game conditioning.

COLBERT'S NEW TITLE

The Steelers promoted Kevin Colbert to general manager, making the Pittsburgh native the first to hold that title in Steelers history.

Colbert, a North Catholic graduate, has held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000.

There was no announcement made by the team. The change in titles was listed in the media guide, which is only available digitally until the start of the season because of the NFL lockout.

Colbert first joined the Steelers in 2000 after spending 10 years as the Detroit Lions' pro scouting director.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXXyQn1X

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Hills and Essex make the most sense.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I don't believe this has been resolved and that Legursky has been awarded the starting role at RG. I think Hills did a pretty decent job there and that he has overall had a good preseason. Tomlin is being fair and open-minded to the end and I think that is part of what makes him a good coach.

I think the media and observers tend to make too much of these type of events. Legursky has been playing, and I wouldn't say he has stood out more so than Hills. I think his smallish size and the fact that he is the main backup at center, are marks against him starting at guard. If Legursky really plays outstandingly,this Thursday, and I think the odds are against that, he could get the job. But I just think Tomlin wants to keep Hills and everyone edgy and not complacent.

Hall of Famer

You know what, I tend to agree. Not unless its announced by the Steelers will i believe that all is said and done at RG. This article is a reporters interpretation of the depth chart.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.