Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redskins 16, Steelers 7: The Antonio Brown Show!

Legend

User Info Menu

Redskins 16, Steelers 7: The Antonio Brown Show!

Redskins 16, Steelers 7: The Antonio Brown Show!

Posted on August 12, 2011 by adam

Can you believe the NFL gets people to pay full price for these games? It’s amazing. We were able to get our first look at the 2011 Steelers on Friday night, and they dropped their preseason opener by a 16-7 margin against the Redskins. Some thoughts on the action…

– I hope you guys like touchbacks. I mean, if you get excited watching kickers drill the ball eight yards into the end zone, or completely through the end zone, you’re going to absolutely love this season. There were eight kickoffs in this game and seven of them went for touchbacks. The one return we did see was from Washington’s Brandon Banks — a 54-yard run-back — that started from about seven yards deep in his own end zone. How pissed off do you think a team like the Cleveland Browns are right now? The NFL essentially took away their best player (Josh Cribbs) by moving the kickoffs to the 35-yard line. Maybe he’ll just say the hell with it and run them all out anyway. Assuming the kickoff doesn’t go through the end zone.

– The Redskins played their first team offense, including quarterback Rex Grossman, for the entire first half. The Steelers first team defense looked rusty to say the least, and allowed Washington to start its first drive on its own one-yard line and move all the way inside the 15 until Shayne Graham honked what should have been a chip shot. The coaching staff was clearly not thrilled with how the defense looked (and it should be pointed out that Troy Polamalu, James Harrison and Bryant McFadden didn’t play) and kept them out there longer than initially planned. We had a scare midway through the second quarter when starting middle linebacker Lawrence Timmons was on the wrong end of a three-way collision with Ryan Mundy and a Redskins receiver. He stayed down for a bit and looked to be in a great deal of pain, but appears to be OK.

In other injury news (and this is what we wanted to avoid), starting cornerback Ike Taylor broke his thumb and Ryan Clark went off with what appeared to be a stinger. Taylor’s thumb shouldn’t be much of an issue going forward, and, hey, it’s not like he had great hands to begin with.

– On offense the story of the night was Antonio Brown. He simply looked outstanding, and every time the play went to his side of the field, good things happened. He finished with four catches for 64 yards, including a 29-yard grab, drew a pass interference penalty and made a key block on an Isaac Redman touchdown run in the second quarter. He also smoked Redskins corner DeAngelo Hall on a deep route down the sidelines only to have Byron Leftwich overthrow him. That was the only ball thrown in his direction (not including the pass interference penalty, which he still almost caught) that he didn’t catch.

– Ben Roethlisberger played one series and completed two of his three passes for 22 yards. His only miss was on a deep ball for a wide open Mike Wallace that was overthrown. That’s not easy to do. I imagine in a few weeks, once these guys get their timing back, that play goes for a touchdown.

One thing is for sure: The Steelers wide receivers, particularly Wallace and Brown, are fast. Very, very fast.

– Isaac Redman ran hard and ended up scoring the Steelers’ only touchdown, an impressive 22-yard run late in the second quarter. I still want to see this guy get more carries this year.

– JJ is the offensive line expert around these parts so he would have a better idea as to what was going on than I will at this point, but Chris Scott did not have a strong game, whiffing on a couple of blocks in pass protection.

– Jonathan Dwyer’s night looked like his first three preseason games last year. He finished with seven yards on five carries. Mewelde Moore didn’t show much either, and dropped a pass he should have caught.

– I don’t know if Limas Sweed was inactive, or not available to play, but he did not see one snap. The following receivers did: Wes Lyons, Eric Greenwood, Tyler Grisham and Terrence McRae. I’m going to let you guys in on a little secret: I don’t think Limas is going to make the team this year.

I was going to keep track of how many times Grisham was compared to Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker, and the final tally ended up being zero. Well, actually, I gave Bob Pompiani and Edmund Nelson a half of a reference because Nelson remarked at one time that Grisham reminds him of “one of those short, fast receivers in New England that nobody can keep up with.” Welker wasn’t mentioned by name, but he at least mentioned the Patriots. Close enough. And worthy of a half.

If you’re one of the folks that wants to see the Steelers find a tall wide receiver, you probably have dreams about Wes Lyons because they don’t get much taller than him at six-foot-eight. He wasn’t exactly a productive receiver at West Virginia, but damn is he big. He had one ball thrown in his direction, which he dropped, and then proceeded to hit his head off the field, forcing him to leave the game. Probably not the entrance he wanted to make

Perhaps this is an example as to how deep these early preseason rosters are, and how unlikely it is some of these guys make the team, but when Eric Greenwood caught a 29-yard pass late in the fourth quarter (and it was a nice grab on the sidelines) I found myself sitting on my couch and saying out loud, to no one in particular, “who the f$%!* is Eric Greenwood?”

– First-round pick Cam Heyward made his preseason debut and looked impressive. His best play came when he fought through a block and chased down Redskins running back Ray Helu from behind and managed to swing him around and slam him to the ground for a short loss.

– Dennis Dixon played the fourth quarter and looked … well, not good. Of course, he was playing behind a third-and-fourth string offensive line and wasn’t getting any help from his receivers, especially Arnaz Battle who had a rough night catching the football. He had at least three drops and only caught two of the six balls thrown his direction for a total of 22 yards.

– Daniel Sepulveda and Jeremy Kapinos both had strong nights punting. Sepulveda’s first punt went 61 yards and was downed at the one-yard line. He averaged 51 yards per punt (four of them), while Kapinos averaged 49.8 on his four punts.

[url="http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/redskins-16-steelers-7-antonio-brown-show/#more-5998"]http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/r ... #more-5998[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Redskins 16, Steelers 7: The Antonio Brown Show!

Steelers fall to Redskins in preseason opener

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, August 13, 2011

LANDOVER, Md. — Ben Roethlisberger fired a 19-yard pass to Antonio Brown, transferring what the two have been doing at training camp to an actual game, albeit one that does not count in any standings.

That proved to be the lone highlight for the Steelers' first-team offense in a 16-7 loss to the Washington Redskins in the preseason opener.

Panic didn't grip the visiting sideline at FedEx Field since offensive stalwarts such as Roethlisberger, wide receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller and running back Rashard Mendenhall played just five snaps, calling it a day before the sun did Friday.

But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made it clear he was not happy with much what transpired in the Steelers' first game since Super Bowl XLV.

"Quite frankly, we got outplayed in just about all areas. Blocking, tackling, running, throwing, kicking," Tomlin said. "That team was better prepared than us. I look forward to this group responding. I'll expect these guys to respond to this. It needs to be better quickly."

There were a few bright spots for the offense, and Tomlin doled out some praise, though grudgingly, to wide receiver Antonio Brown.

Brown, the star of training camp, continued to serve notice that he does not intend to get lost among a plentiful group of wide receivers. Brown caught four passes for a game-high 64 yards, including a twisting grab of a Byron Leftwich pass in traffic.

That second quarter catch covered 29 yards and served as a catalyst for the Steelers' only scoring drive.

Isaac Redman, trying to carve a larger role, picked his way for 22 yards and a touchdown three plays later. Redman's run capped a four-play, 80-yard drive, a sequence that proved to be an anomaly on a night in which the Steelers couldn't convert on third down (they were two of 11).

Redman, entrenched as the Steelers' No. 2 back, led the team with 42 rushing yards on five carries.

The Steelers have a wealth of talent at the skills positions, and veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery will be added to the mix Sunday when he practices for the first time with his new team.

But, as in past years, the scrutiny will fall on the players that least want it.

The starting offensive line last night consisted of tackles Jonathan Scott and Willie Colon, guards Doug Legursky and Chris Scott and center Maurkice Pouncey.

Only Pouncey, Colon and Scott are locks — or near locks — to start Sept. 11 when the Steelers open the regular season in Baltimore.

"I'm trying to get my feet underneath me," said Colon, who missed last season with an Achilles injury. "I think I did OK, but I've got to work on some technical stuff."

The Steelers may spend the entire preseason sorting out their situation at guard. Chris Scott, getting the nod over incumbent Ramon Foster at right guard, looked overmatched and overwhelmed at times.

He missed an assignment on the second series, allowing Redskins defensive end Stephen Bowen to bury Leftwich for a 10-yard sack.

Legursky moved from left guard to center when the second-team offensive line took the field. Scott stayed at right guard, and Foster played left guard. Kyle Jolly played right tackle, and Tony Hills manned left tackle and supplied a key block on Redman's scoring run.

Roethlisberger completed 2 of 3 passes for 22 yards. He overthrew Mike Wallace on a deep pass after Wallace had gotten a couple of steps on Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson.

"We were just flat," Wallace said. "I think we'll come back next week and improve. I don't think we're going to look too far into it because we're a lot better team than that and we're going to be ready to go by the time the regular season gets here."

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751467.html#ixzz1UsXvk0za"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1UsXvk0za[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've made it clear that I'm a limas sweed supporter. I may even sound like a broken record at this juncture. However there wasn't one wr last night that saw extensive time outside of Brown that impressed consistently. Therefore why the hell would anyone assume that sweed won't make the team? I'm not saying he will but he clearly didn't play because of a injury. I'll even go out on a limb and assume we see sweed a ton for the second preseason game. I almost don't want to keep talking about the guy, let him do what he's gonna do and hope for the best. He has all the talent he needs and I think it will translate on the field this preseason. The other wrs outside of brown sure as hell didn't show they belong and none have sweeds potential. Id keep him on that fact alone. (On my droid so hopefully this isn't littered with runons and typos.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98
    I've made it clear that I'm a limas sweed supporter. I may even sound like a broken record at this juncture. However there wasn't one wr last night that saw extensive time outside of Brown that impressed consistently. Therefore why the hell would anyone assume that sweed won't make the team? I'm not saying he will but he clearly didn't play because of a injury. I'll even go out on a limb and assume we see sweed a ton for the second preseason game. I almost don't want to keep talking about the guy, let him do what he's gonna do and hope for the best. He has all the talent he needs and I think it will translate on the field this preseason. The other wrs outside of brown sure as hell didn't show they belong and none have sweeds potential. Id keep him on that fact alone. (On my droid so hopefully this isn't littered with runons and typos.)
    Jerricho Cotchery is the probable reason Sweed fails to make this team. I'm with you Snatch...no other receiver on our roster has the POTENTIAL, or the skill set of Sweed. You don't win roster spots on potential however - especially when it will have gone unrealized for a 4th straight camp.

Here's hoping Limas can start lighting it up and force his way onto this roster.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Limas definitely has to show something. Howeever I disagree that cotchery may be th reason he doesn't make the team. Id say if anything the arrival of jericho allows the steelers to gamble on limas. Sanders will get healthy and that allows for the wildcard with limas. As far as his seasons with the team are concerned one was injury prevented and the other was pup for mental whatever. Either way I think its all a non issue because I believe sweed will show his worth in the preseason. Call me crazy but as of right now without showing a thing id still take limas on potential overf grisham, lyons, battle or whomever else. If the steelers release sweed I guarantee he's picked up. Drop battle, lyons, grisham etc and they're there when we need em. Battle may get picked up for special teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

From what I saw last night Sweed moved up the depth chart and didn't even set foot on the field.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I completely agree. Outside of brown it was pretty bad. Add in the fact that I've read at least a couple time sweed has looked good on special teams. As in getting down there in a hurry and his blocking prowess. I'd keep him on the roster 100%. All the talk with grisham and he didn't show anything last night. I guess we'll find out soon enough.[url][/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    From what I saw last night Sweed moved up the depth chart and didn't even set foot on the field.

Pappy
    As bad as the other receivers were, I don't see how he could move up the depth chart when he wasn't even playing. He's of no value whatsoever to this team unless he can actually get on the field.

Backup

User Info Menu

If Sweed is hurt and Cant build any kind of Report with Ben then whats the point in having him. He is a 4th year guy that no one who wears a uniform has any faith in. And Why are we scared that he will go to another team and play well - He DOESNT play well here so who cares.. More power to him.

And why are we down on any receiver who had passes thrown to them by Batch and Dixon or even Byron for that matter. Ben has come out and said he is comfortable with Grisham - He likes throwing to him - so thats all that really matters.

Brown, (A guy who has actually produced something for us in the past) has throughout the entire Camp said that he wants to earn the trust of his Team and of his QB Ben.. And it looks like he is doing that. Sweed on the other hand is not, has not and if the record continues will not..

Keep the Grisham dude and give the Spot to that Ivy kid, he looks like he wants to play.

Gets frustrating hoping Sweed does anything and then arguing over what he Could be doing because of his size and speed. Dude is not a Steeler.. let him go.

If he proves me wrong then so be it.. but this is going on 4 years of hoping and praying on this guy. If he cant get on the field then get into another field.. Rogaine is hiring i'm sure.

Rookie

User Info Menu

How many passes did Grisham catch last night?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.