Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought - Cleveland Browns

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Food for Thought - Cleveland Browns

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Food For Thought - here is a relatively brief description of the thread and the idea behind it.

Originally I thought I would offer up some ideas for different meals to go with each Steelers game. Ideally it has some kind of theme to go with the team we're playing against - or sometimes I'll write something for a specific Steeler.

The first year I did this the Steelers returned to the Super Bowl and a victory against the Seahawks....did my recipes have anything to do with that....probalby not - but (for now) I'm not tempting fate either way.

I try to keep these recipes very simple - but I'm also trying to offer up some interesting alternatives to Pizza and Burgers.

Please feel free to include or add recipes onto this thread - it's not intended to be solely "my thing" - however I do strive to add a new recipe for all the Steeler games and the bye week.

For our first pre-season game, we'll kick things off simply with a twist on a Ham & Cheese Sandwich......why Ham you ask....because we're playing the Hogs aren't we --- that and the Red Peppers add a nice color theme to the team we're playing this week.

This first recipe goes out to former Redskin (and Giant, I had forgotten) Ryan Clark. Ryan has been one of those unsung Steelers for the past few seasons, that probably isn't appreciated enough for his contributions.....especially with #43 making all of the incredible plays....hats off to you Mr. Clark.

Ryan's "Red Pepper" Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons mayonnaise, or condiment of your choice (optional)
    2 slices sourdough bread
    2 slices provolone cheese
    2 thin slices ham
    1/2 roasted red pepper packed in oil, drained and sliced
    2 teaspoons butter
    2 teaspoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

Directions:

1.Spread mayonnaise onto one side of each slice of bread. On one slice of bread, place one slice of provolone cheese, then ham, red peppers, and the other slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread with the mayonnaise facing the filling. Butter the outsides of the sandwich, and sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese onto the butter.

2.Heat a skillet over medium heat until warm. Fry the sandwich on both sides until golden brown and cheese is melted. If you have an indoor grill, this sandwich may be grilled that way also. Cut the sandwich in half, and serve.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Food for Thought - Washington Redskins

I'm having a Turkey on Ry(an Clark)

Starter

User Info Menu

sweet. I frikkin' love the 'Food for Thought' thread. Just gave the ingredients to Mrs. Ghetto.

Legend

User Info Menu

HELL YES! Food for Thought has officially ushered in football season!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

L.B.'s Shrimp Scampi is still a house favorite here at Casa de Asia... gotta chime in with Joos' sentiments.... Football season is officially here!

Legend

User Info Menu

Let the blessed obesity begin!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Food for Thought - Philadelphia Eagles

I appreciate effort.....I know many Steelers fans just "expect" effort and only appreciate results....but for me Pre-Season is all about those few hard working guys (perhaps short on NFL talent) that are doing everything they can to keep their dream alive....a dream I suspect many of us wish we had enjoyed ourselves.

I was scouting around for a player to feature on this week's FFT - and I wanted someone local to Philly and perhaps a guy that was a still a bit of an unknown...and that's when I came across Temple's QB / TE - Vaughn Charlton.

Here's a guy who was the starting QB in 2009 and switched over to TE in his senior season to give himself a shot at the pros -

[url]http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/08/17/nfl-temples-vaughn-charlton-hoping-to-stick-with-steelers/[/url]

He also made a video of himself as a long snapper.....I think the kid shows a ton of heart, and work ethic and that's why I'm pulling for him and "hopefully" throwing some good FFT Mojo his way.

Good Luck Vaughn, this one's for you!!!

Philly Sundried and Garlic Dip

Ingredients:

1 (250 g) tub PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread
    1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, chopped

Directions:

1.Mix all ingredients (except tomatoes) until well blended.
    2. Stir in tomatoes.
    3. Chill for 2 hours
    4.Serve with Crackers, Tortilla Chips, Pita Bread, Season (pre-packaged) Cocktail Slices and/or cut-up fresh vegetables.

I'm still looking for the best option of what to go with this dip.....a combo of Veggies and Tortilla Chips have been what I've liked most.

L.B.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Food for Thought - Philadelphia Eagles

Georgia has so many great choices for food ---- but when I came across this recipe I just had to give it a spin. This is just one of those food ideas that never would have occurred to me!

This southern specialty goes out to Keenan Lewis -if the "light" could switch on for this young man and he could start to rise as a possible starter on the Steelers, I think it could make a real difference this year.....and beyond!

Here's hoping you figure it out Keenan -

Keenan's Black-Eyed Peas Wrap-up!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
    1/2 cup vegetable stock
    1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 (12 inch) flour tortillas

***Salsa / Sour Cream as recommended toppings.

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the black-eyed peas, vegetable stock, jalapeno, garlic, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue cooking until heated through. Wrap the mixture in the tortillas to serve.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Food for Thought - Atlanta Falcons

I'm a little bummed we didn't get a recipe for homemade fig newtons last night.