Thread: Rookies

Backup

User Info Menu

Rookies

We've heard good things. I know it's early but could all 7 draft picks make the team?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rookies

I think in a normal year all 7 would make the team but this year wasn't normal. Given that for whatever reason they have brought back marginal older players like Gay, Moore, etc. I think it will hurt 2 or 3 of the rookies and they will try to stash them on the PS. That doesn't usually work out well for us since our PS is usually one of the first targeted by teams looking for players.

IMO get rid of players with no long term future and give the young players a chance.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

If they make it to the PS, the Steelers (or any team) has 24 hours to counter any offer for said player and move them to the active roster. The only stipulation is said player must stay on roster 3 weeks before going back to PS.

ChucktownSteeler
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!

Backup

User Info Menu

I would have thought the same thing, given the lack of OTA and the Steelers' bigotry against rookies and young players I would have thought 1,2,3 make the team tops. But 7 can beat out Dwyer and 4,5,6 are making a real argument. Now I hear J Scott and Foster got carted off so more opportunity for the youngsters. That, and some of the known dead wood, who knows.

Legend

User Info Menu

If those rookies can play they will make the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Most Draft Picks, if not all, Will Make it

SATURDAY, 06 AUGUST 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Here's my first sleeper of training camp after the first week plus one of practices – rookie guard Keith Williams. He was the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick from Nebraska and he's as tough and mean as they come, some vets have told me. They have compared him to Chris Kemoeatu in on-field temperament. Williams did not have a particularly good night on one block in the Friday Night Lights practice at Latrobe High School Stadium, but that practice is way overanalyzed because the stands are packed and many in the media treat it as though it were a preseason game. Oh, the Tweets that were flying out of that stadium last night. You'd have thought it was Steelers-Ravens. It's just another practice. Coach Mike Tomlin did not even order a goalline drill.

That said, I can see all seven draft picks making this team. Baron Batch, their seventh-round pick, should already have it made. You've seen my four picks at running back, which is easy – Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore and Batch, from Texas Tech.

Defensive end Cameron Heyward, No. 1 from Ohio State, and OT Marcus Gilbert, No. 2 from Florida are on it. No. 3, Curtis Brown of Texas looks good in the early going (although so too did a couple of rookie corners a few years ago in camp and then, nothing). Linebacker Chris Carter, their fifth-rounder from Fresno State has been an early hit of camp. Cortez Allen, drafted fourth from The Citadel, has also done well.

But it's early. My locks would be the top three, Batch and Williams and the other three also might make it. There also are a few good undrafted rookies, including tight end Weslye Saunders, wide receiver Eric Greenwood and more. It will be tough for a rookie wide receiver to make it, though, and they most likely are candidates for the practice squad.

Coach Mike Tomlin has been consistent in his answers to all questions about rookies: “He's a rookie.'' He was asked about one last night after practice, and he answered it the same and then said as he walked away that the questioner apparently has not gotten the message yet.

Onto some stuff:

--- Oops, it's 8 a.m. here in Plum, Pa., and it's raining. That's not good for the Batman movie shoot that was supposed to start at 7 a.m at Heinz Field and include a dozen Steelers veterans, former coach Bill Cowher and Kevin Colbert. It's supposed to be a spectacular event but it's also supposed to take place in winter and a hot summer rain might test that Hollywood magic. Had a friend who signed up to be part of the crowd, of which there is scheduled to be thousands. He backed out when they told him he had to wear an overcoat because it was going to be shot in “winter.''

--- YOU: I saw the CBA signing today on the front steps of the HOF, on the NFL Network....

Then there was a quick interview by Rich Eisen of both DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell and I felt nauseous. Watching them like a couple of old friends really made for good PR, but I felt insulted.

Isn't what that signing was all about? just a PR move? I can't actually believe that what they signed was the actually ratified document, was it? Don't all 32 owners have to sign it as well? The whole thing seemed phony to me. They kept mentioning how they had to do it for the fans.... etc...Do they really think that the fans are that dumb and can't see through their BS?

ME: Even Lee and Grant were able to shake hands at Appomatox and one surrendered. There was no surrender here but mutual peace for the next 10 years. Give them their little show.

--- YOU: I love Troy P as much as anyone and fully understand his value to the Steeler D. However, I do not think the Steelers should pay an injury prone safety $10 million per year to possibly play 10 games. If I was in charge, I would sign Timmons first, have Troy play this year and franchise him next year after we see if he can stay healthy for 16 games.

ME: I did not know Kevin Colbert was a Plus member who sent me his thoughts. Not Kevin? You may be thinking alike.

--- YOU: You've mentioned Wesley Saunders and Baron Batch as early standouts among the rookies, but I've heard nothing about John Clay, the undrafted free-agent from Wisconsin who was last year's Big 10 offensive player of the year. I realize his 4.8 speed makes him a tough fit for the NFL, but do you know if he's made an impression thus far or is he just another camp body?

ME: Clay, I believe, is fighting for a spot on the practice squad.

[url="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111093"]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... &id=111093[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

--- YOU: I love Troy P as much as anyone and fully understand his value to the Steeler D. However, I do not think the Steelers should pay an injury prone safety $10 million per year to possibly play 10 games. If I was in charge, I would sign Timmons first, have Troy play this year and franchise him next year after we see if he can stay healthy for 16 games.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$