Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    Lewis had an interception so he looked better but the truth is he has the same issue every week. He does not handle change of direction well. He can cover a go route where he only has to run with the receiver. He is also pretty decent in zone coverage, but when he plays man and the receiver makes any sort of move, he struggles.

I actually think Butler has more potential if he ever stays healthy.
    WRs were getting separation easily. If not for inaccurate throws Lewis would not have looked good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

No way could this be the result of having Troy and Jimmy on the field. could it???

I mean, Ike and McFadden didn't play, yet Lewis and Gay were effective.

This is what this defense brings to the table when they are 100% healthy.
    The display last night by the defense was sweet. The encouraging thing to me is that we didn't even play our starting CB's . And we got that result.

Yeah. Vick had a bit of an off night. But they looked good regardless.

I thought Lewis and Gay stepped up nicely to the challenge.

I can see Lewis rounding into form by mid-season barring injurys.

Backup

User Info Menu

i guess to piggy back.. Its not like Vick was just standing back there throwing bad passes. The pocket was being pushed in on him, and he did have to move around quite a bit.

Also I didn't see guys running "wide" open.. I saw our guys around every pass. Even the long opening to Jackson saw him double covered.

Having Troy (healthy) on the field was the major disruption.. Remember how many passes he ALMOST got to. He could have easily have had 3 interceptions. This causes MOST Qb's to hold the ball just a little bit longer, giving our 2nd string Db's just enough time.

and that play the Keenan made was just a Good play.. He had the underneath and was right where he was suppose to be. Vick does not throw with Touch so the Coverage had to have been tight.

The guys played fast Last-night, you could see the extra Pep they had knowing the playmaker was lurking. I dont know why they do it but when he is healthy and playing with them, its a whole different defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

A Pittsburgh Steeler Steps Up Big Against the Philadelphia Eagles

By Cian Fahey (Featured Columnist) on August 19, 2011

Keenan Lewis is a third-year player who has always been looked upon as a talented player that never got the mental side of the game. Lewis was terrible against the Redskins last week, so a lot of people will point to my optimism from last game and say that I am overreacting.

However, the difference between condemning him for last week's performance and applauding him for this week lies in what he did on the field.

Last week, Lewis was put in zone coverage playing off coverage for essentially every snap that he was on the field. He never gave up the big play but never got near the football either.

Last night, Lewis was allowed to play in more man coverage and even played press coverage on a few occasions. Unsurprisingly considering his build and size—6'0", 208 lbs—Lewis looked far more comfortable in man coverage than in zone.

Lewis showed last night that when used in the right way he can play football without thinking and reacting to the situations that unfold in front of him. In fact, because Lewis is so different from the Steelers other corners—save for Ike Taylor—he offers the defense a new dimension.

The Louisiana native has the speed and size that the Steelers other corners do not. Last night he showed off his speed on the first play from scrimmage with good coverage on a deep pass to DeSean Jackson that ultimately was overthrown.

His coverage of Riley Cooper resulted in Ryan Clark's interception of Michael Vick. Lewis had decent, not great, coverage of Cooper, but because of his size and wingspan, he forced Vick to lay the ball out further than he would have had to if Bryant McFadden or William Gay were on the field.

Vick's pass fell directly into the waiting hands of Clark because Lewis forced Vick to throw further down the field than he wanted to.

Lewis picked off his own pass on the next drive when he once again was blanketing Cooper in man coverage. On that play he showed good awareness and understanding to snap his head back to the quarterback just before the ball arrived to Cooper.

The fact that Lewis got the chance to play with the first team—and a healthy Troy Polamalu—freed him from the vanilla zone defense that was restricting him last week. If Lewis can continue that level of play he will likely be a starter opposite Ike Taylor in Week 1.

That would drastically improve the Steelers secondary and allow them to play better coverage on the outside while moving McFadden to the nickel which would also get the best out of him.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811535-pittsburgh-steelers-two-steelers-step-up-big-against-the-philadelphia-eagles"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8115 ... hia-eagles[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    the Eagles game is the best I've ever seen Keenan Lewis play, he looks to be the #4 CB now behind Ike, BMac and Willie Gay.
    He did look much improved. Imagine if Carnell Lake actually coaches up some of our DBs. It is conceivable that we could have a good secondary! (I said conceivable.)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis is a third-year player who has always been looked upon as a talented player that never got the mental side of the game. Lewis was terrible against the Redskins last week, so a lot of people will point to my optimism from last game and say that I am overreacting.

However, the difference between condemning him for last week's performance and applauding him for this week lies in what he did on the field.

Last week, Lewis was put in zone coverage playing off coverage for essentially every snap that he was on the field. He never gave up the big play but never got near the football either.

Last night, Lewis was allowed to play in more man coverage and even played press coverage on a few occasions. Unsurprisingly considering his build and size—6'0", 208 lbs—Lewis looked far more comfortable in man coverage than in zone.

Lewis showed last night that when used in the right way he can play football without thinking and reacting to the situations that unfold in front of him. In fact, because Lewis is so different from the Steelers other corners—save for Ike Taylor—he offers the defense a new dimension.

The Louisiana native has the speed and size that the Steelers other corners do not. Last night he showed off his speed on the first play from scrimmage with good coverage on a deep pass to DeSean Jackson that ultimately was overthrown.

His coverage of Riley Cooper resulted in Ryan Clark's interception of Michael Vick. Lewis had decent, not great, coverage of Cooper, but because of his size and wingspan, he forced Vick to lay the ball out further than he would have had to if Bryant McFadden or William Gay were on the field.

Vick's pass fell directly into the waiting hands of Clark because Lewis forced Vick to throw further down the field than he wanted to.

Lewis picked off his own pass on the next drive when he once again was blanketing Cooper in man coverage. On that play he showed good awareness and understanding to snap his head back to the quarterback just before the ball arrived to Cooper.

The fact that Lewis got the chance to play with the first team—and a healthy Troy Polamalu—freed him from the vanilla zone defense that was restricting him last week. If Lewis can continue that level of play he will likely be a starter opposite Ike Taylor in Week 1.

That would drastically improve the Steelers secondary and allow them to play better coverage on the outside while moving McFadden to the nickel which would also get the best out of him.

[url="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811535-pittsburgh-steelers-two-steelers-step-up-big-against-the-philadelphia-eagles"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8115 ... hia-eagles[/url]
    So he is best at playing man to man when our scheme doesn't allow the CBs to play man to man. What is wrong with this picture??????

Here is a really crazy idea....How about changing the coverage responsibilities in the scheme to match the skills of the players we have????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

So he is best at playing man to man when our scheme doesn't allow the CBs to play man to man. What is wrong with this picture??????

Here is a really crazy idea....How about changing the coverage responsibilities in the scheme to match the skills of the players we have????
    According to the article, that is what happened in the Eagles game.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti

brilliant!!!!!
    If it makes our defense better, YES. We should never be content to rest on our laurels, but should always be looking to IMPROVE. That means making ADJUSTMENTS, from time to time, in the scheme in order to bring the BEST out of the PERSONNEL we HAVE.

I don't want us to be just a top 5 defense...I want to be #1, and WIN the Super Bowl.

I know, realistically, we're not going to win the Super Bowl every year. But if being the best isn't in your sights, you're not very likely to get there.