Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

Legend

Re: CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

Regardless of how they got on the field they looked decent once they were inserted...

our CB's tend to let WR's run free and have no idea what play is being called...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Regardless of how they got on the field they looked decent once they were inserted...

our CB's tend to let WR's run free and have no idea what play is being called...
    Our "scheme" does seem to emphasize the "chase technique" versus the "run with technique"

I would venture to guess that is a result of the designed in 10 yard cushions. Maybe that is why it takes so long to develop our DBs. We have to break them of the "bad habit" of covering WRs close and tight.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Curtis Brown will take BMac's job. He's the real deal.

Allen has the most raw talent and I'd see what he could do at FS to try and get him on the field sooner than later.
    You don't mean this year do you? Though... because of your comment, I did have to revisit just who Curtis Brown is--Damn! I don't remember reading such an impressive draft summary of him... I'm gonna have to dig up my Mel Kiper/Nolan Nawrocki books to read more about him.

With Brown, Butler (who is supposed to be similarly blessed athletically), we seem to have really nice down-the-road potential. But I have little hope for either of those guys stepping in and making a positive impact this season (other than Special teams).
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel33
    Personally, I give every player 3 years to pick it up. After 3 years you have probably missed the boat.
    I remember reading about how Lewis might end up being better than all the CB's drafted ahead of him. it was in a draft magazine.
    I really hope it clicks for him.That will get us back on track in the secondary.
    cause Taylor, Lewis, Mcfadden, Gay and Brown is formidable, with probably mcfadden normally being a weak link. but not this year. nope.its contract year for mcfadden. hes pretty much a lock to have a solid season.
    we all know what Ike brings to the table and that wont change.
    You add in Lewis putting it all together and Brown giving Gay competition and heads up.
    Suddenly the 2ndary isnt so secondary anymore.
    I continue to ask myself why does it take OUR players three years when Green Bay can win a Super Bowl with second and third year players including one very good DB who they converted from a college WR in the process? What does Dom Capers do that we can't??

Our development, or lack thereof, of defensive backs has been a problem that goes back to the Cowher years. Can't we evealuate talent? Is our defense ridiculously too complex? Do we not let players learn in game situations and they stagnate (my uninformed guess)? I don't have the answer and it frustrates the heck out of me.

We seem to be able to fix every other position area on this team but the secondary. Does someone have the answer?
    i think its a talent issue too.

we aren't exactly picking the top corners in the draft these last few years. i guess mcfadden and coclough were the 2 higherst picked guys that havent panned out as expected

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Don't fool yourselves that CB or DB's have been the only tough positions we have had drafting. If they aren't 1st round picks they are all subpar players on D. (or picked a decade ago!)
    @_Hellgrammite

I've always wondered if Lewis isn't better suited to play safety...

Gay signed; secondary stronger

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com
    8/1/2011

LATROBE - The Steelers added another piece to their secondary Sunday, agreeing to terms with cornerback William Gay on a multi-year contract.

Gay, who was an unrestricted free agent, will join the team at its training camp at Saint Vincent College today. Because of the new collective bargaining rules, Gay will not be permitted to practice until Thursday.

With the signing of Ike Taylor last week and Gay Sunday, the Steelers shored up their secondary. They previously added rookies Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in the third and fourth rounds of this year's draft.

With Taylor and Gay sitting until Thursday, third-year player Keenan Lewis and second-year man Crezdon Butler have received extra opportunities to impress new defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Lake, who took over when Ray Horton left for a job with the Arizona Cardinals, is the only new coach on the Steelers' staff. With the lockout over, he's getting his first look at the defensive backs.

"We're all thrown in here together," said Lake, a former Steelers star. "As a coach, you want to get a feel for the players, want to get a feel for the system. I've been away for a while. There are nuances that have developed since I played.

"I like what I see."

Neither Lewis nor Butler saw much playing time on defense last year, but both are hoping to take advantage of their latest opportunity. Before sitting out Sunday's practice because of heat-related problems, Lewis had replaced Taylor in the base defense, while Butler worked in the slot in nickel and dime packages. On Sunday, Butler was working with the first team in the base defense.

Lewis knows time is running out and he must either claim a more prominent role with the Steelers or be released.

"I talked to Lake and he told me to be ready for all positions," said Lewis, a 2009 third-round draft pick. "He's going to give me a chance, and I want to take it. I feel like I'm familiar enough with the playbook to play in the nickel, the dime, safety, whatever."

Lewis spent the offseason working out with teammate Mike Wallace, a childhood friend, and some members of the Saints in his hometown of New Orleans. Included in that group was safety Darren Sharper, a college teammate of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin at William & Mary.

"(Sharper) told me to give it all I got and show (Tomlin) how versatile I can be, nickel, safety, whatever," said Lewis. "That will make me more valuable to this team."

Lewis was in Tomlin's doghouse at times last season, particularly after Tomlin gave him a start in the third preseason game at Denver and he was repeatedly beaten by Brandon Lloyd. Lewis made things worse by breaking a sign outside the locker room in frustration following the game.

"Brandon Lloyd was a Pro Bowl wide receiver. He's no slouch," Lewis said. "I wouldn't say I had a bad preseason. I tried to learn from it and get better. That was my first time being with the starting group. I never got down on myself."

With a strong body of work in the first week of training camp, the 6-0, 208-pound Lewis could change his future.

"When people get down on you, you can't get down on yourself," Lewis said. "No matter what the situation is, you have to keep getting better."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/spo ... sive-backs

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Like Ovi, I get frustrated not seeing these potentially exciting youngsters get on the field. That said, I think we need to realise that the Steelers D is a little different from say, the Packers who are good for a couple of years, bad for a couple...they get high draft picks every 3 years or so & are able to probably shuffle in rookies earlier due to the talent in their DB's not being of a consistantly high level, like the Steelers.

You see- I don't think the Steelers DB's are actually that bad. I think the scheme is designed to stop the run first, prolong the passing plays second & give the LB's time to get to the QB. I think that is the reason for the "10 yard cushion"- extend the passing plays, don't let the QB air it out before the LB's get close. Problem is- teams have worked out that we are now vulnerable to shorter passing attacks- the Pats are a good example.

So the Steelers are kind of stuck- they can't draft the top CB's because they never draft high enough- meaning they tend to have the 'solid' CB's on their roster- not the Revis'. As a result, they are not quite as 'good' as needed to stick man-to-man with high quality WR's in the NFL long enough to let the LB's get the pressure on the QB. So the 'answer' is to hold the CB's back, and try to extend the passing plays more. And because troy doesn't play coverage like a normal Safety, and Clark isn't really a very good coverage Safety, the Steelers can't gamble with the CB's as much as they'd probably like.

So what would you do? Play man-to-man with your CB's & watch them get torched on occasion? Or play them back & allow death by incriments?

In the end, I suspect the answer might come more from the Safety play- if Clark could cover like a quasi-CB, or if the Steelers gave up on Troy as a line-of-scrimmage player & had him as a cover guy instead- you could probably play the CB's tighter, and they might even look better in some degree. But that really nullifies the best defensive player on the roster- because Troy's versatility is the Steelers X-Factor more often than not.

A coverage-FS would answer a lot of our prayers I expect. But generally a 'coverage guy' isn't as good a 'run stopping guy'- which is the Steelers MO first & foremost.

If only there were 2 Troy Polamalu's...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© With Bryant McFadden out Tuesday, Keenan Lewis took snaps with the first-team defense and had one of his better practices.

That's big news for the Steelers, who are still hoping Lewis turns into a player.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© With Bryant McFadden out Tuesday, Keenan Lewis took snaps with the first-team defense and had one of his better practices.

That's big news for the Steelers, who are still hoping Lewis turns into a player.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    I have high hopes for Lewis this season and think that he should - at worst - overtake Gay on the depth chart.

Last season he was set to make the step. He started a pre season game and messed up with stupid 15 yard penalties. Not because he could not play, but because he let his emotions get the better of him. He found himself in the coach's doghouse right after.

He has spent most of the off season working out with his buddy Wallace, and has done a decent job of covering him in camp. This guy has the tools. If he can keep his head on straight then he will play perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Don't fool yourselves that CB or DB's have been the only tough positions we have had drafting. If they aren't 1st round picks they are all subpar players on D. (or picked a decade ago!)
    I think Woodley is a pretty good player.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.