Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madden snorts off over Harrison. Still the hater.

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden snorts off over Harrison. Still the hater.

[url]http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergenius.html?article=8833342[/url]

Thursday, July 14, 2011
    THE BLAME GAME

Hines Ward, DUI. James Harrison, off his rocker.

What has happened to the Steelers? Why has a franchise once lauded for decorum spiraled out of control?

*Head coach Mike Tomlin is too close in age to the players, and too close to the players. They don't respect (or fear) Tomlin like they did Bill Cowher.

*Art Rooney II isn't his father. Dan Rooney is mostly in Ireland, anyway, a bit more aged and feeble by the day. Artie doesn't have the same cachet, the same GRIP. James Harrison has nothing on Dan Rooney when it comes to FEAR. Dan Rooney has the entire city in his sway. Tough act to follow.

*There's no accountability in the locker room. No PROPER leaders. If James Farrior, Troy Polamalu or anyone else on that defense was a great leader, Harrison wouldn't say what he does. Harrison wouldn't be who he is. What, are Farrior and Polamalu SCARED of Harrison? If so, that's sad.

*It's just the way of the sports world. It's all going to HELL. We're enablers, because we keep pumping money into it.

What is Dan Rooney thinking? His team's once-proud reputation is in TATTERS. Is Mr. Rooney going to do anything about it, or is he just another retiree watching the wheels go 'round? Is he afraid to upstage Artie by stepping in? Does Artie have the mental and emotional wherewithal to deal with the Harrison situation?

The Steelers have lost their moral compass since Mike Tomlin and Art Rooney II took over. Can that possibly be coincidence?

Read more: [url="http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergenius.html?article=8833342#ixzz1SEOaSIVK"]http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergeni ... z1SEOaSIVK[/url]
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Madden snorts off over Harrison. Still the hater.

Madden's not alone...

A player's perspective on the Steelers LB sounding off.

by Matt Bowen
    JULY 13, 2011

I would go on the record any day and talk about the respect I have for Steelers LB James Harrison as a player. Without a doubt someone I would love to line up next to and even coach. One of the top players at the position.

But his recent comments in Men’s Journal aimed at Commissioner Roger Goodell and some of his teammates? That’s bad football.

Harrison's comments aimed at Roger Goodell and his own teammates don't add up from a professional standpoint.

“Unprofessional” is the first word that comes to my mind after reading his statements. To liter the Commissioner of the NFL with that type of negativity (calling him a "crook," "devil," etc.) doesn’t add up, nor does it make any sense.

I understand his stance. This is a player that is without a doubt targeted by the league office for his style of play. But there is something to be said for acting like a pro in this type of situation. And that isn’t it.

The second part, aimed at his own teammates, including his QB? That’s complete garbage. No place for that in a public forum for the entre nation to see.

Here is what Harrison said about Roethlisberger on his play in Super Bowl XLV: ““Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

All that does is create controversy in your own locker room that the Steelers now have to navigate through once the lockout is lifted and we are back to football. Necessary. Not at all.

Now I played for four teams during my career and those type of statements that drift from different sides of the locker room happen daily. I couldn’t tell you how many times an offensive or defensive player took a shot at one another. That’s (unfortunately) part of playing in the NFL.

Big money on the line (or a Super Bowl in this case) and emotions runs high. I’ve even seen players go at each other on the sidelines, having to be held back by teammates before a brawl broke out. It can get that intense during an NFL game. Coaches get involved too.

The point here is simple. It is one thing to take a cheap shot at Goodell during the lockout (even though I don’t agree with it), which we have seen plenty of times over the last couple of months.

But to throw your own teammates under the bus is uncalled for and shows a lack of respect as a professional football player.

And I have to ask Harrison if it was worth it. Because I don’t see it.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Harrisons-comments-as-unprofessional-as-they-get.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Har ... y-get.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey HS, the difference as I see it is that the author of your article spoke about his perception of Harrison's professionalism, or lack of it.

Madden tried to make Tomlin and Rooney the younger look like dumb captains of an out of control ship.

Big difference.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Hey HS, the difference as I see it is that the author of your article spoke about his perception of Harrison's professionalism, or lack of it.

Madden tried to make Tomlin and Rooney the younger look like dumb captains of an out of control ship.

Big difference.
    I agree DJ...huge difference. As a matter of fact, Madden's article was one of the most poorly-constructed pieces of trash I've ever read from anyone who professionally covers sports. Calling Dan Rooney feeble and constantly mocking AR2 as Artie almost seems to be career suicide in that town. Implying that there exists a lack of morality on the team because of AR2 and Mike Tomlin? Calling out the entire team and saying there are no PROPER leaders? Wow...I think this guy is off his rocker as much, if not more so than Harrison. I don't know if Madden even uses his press pass to go to games or interview players in the locker room, but I wonder what type of reception he'll get now.

Madden is nothing more than a slob who craves controversy as much as he does the cream-filled center of his main diet staple. However, he and everyone else who is lining up to criticize Harrison - and the team for that matter - have a very valid point. It's embarrassing and there should a very strong in-house response for both Ward and Harrison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden belongs in an old age home.
    Its Tomlin and Rooneys fault that Harrison speaks his mind during an NFL lockout and Hines cant take a fn cab home.....
    Yes, everyone needs to be so politically correct now a days

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It can't be career suicide if you don't actually have a respectable career. No one really cares about the guy, and most people I've talked to turn him off whenever his show starts.

Sure he gets paid to do his thing...but it's not a real career that can be killed. He's just a sideshow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Madden is nothing more than a slob who craves controversy as much as he does the cream-filled center of his main diet staple.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

whatever, I still dont get how so many people are in starstruck with harrison and look up to him as some kind hero, but hey different strokes for different folks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    whatever, I still dont get how so many people are in starstruck with harrison and look up to him as some kind hero, but hey different strokes for different folks
    Starstruck? Hero? James is an outside linebacker. And a d@mn good one at that. Brutal, in fact. In order to be a true bad@$$ at this elite level, you have to be just a bit off center...just a little unstable. He doesn't hold anything back on the football field, so why should we expect him to hold anything back when a report has a pen and pad in front of him? I'm not in awe of him as a person (but then again, I've never been smitten with any athletes...just interested in how well they perform on the field of play).

This stuff is simply being overblown right now because we are in the midst of the lockout and there is no other football news to grasp onto at the moment (plus, it didn't help that this stuff got out during baseball's All Star break...the only time during the sports year where there are multiple days in which no actual games among the 4 major sports are taking place...no baseball, no football, no basketball, no hockey) so every sports media outlet latched onto this story and milked it for all it's worth.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    DPOTY... Longest INT/TD in SB history. Game changing sacks. Crushing hits on players... Won multiple games with strip sacks while being held on damn near every play.... All after being cut a few times.

Yeah I see no reason why people are star struck by the guy.

WTF?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"