Thread: Pens sign Predators LW Steve Sullivan 1 year at $1.5 million

Legend

User Info Menu

Pens sign Predators LW Steve Sullivan 1 year at $1.5 million

Undersized, injury-prone vet who was an alternate captain and a fan favorite in Nashville. Shero knows the Preds well from his time there as assistant G.M.

Penguins sign forward Steve Sullivan

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Penguins on Friday signed free-agent forward Steve Sullivan to a one-year contract, worth $1.5 million.

Sullivan, 36, is a 15-year veteran who had 10 goals and 22 points for Nashville last season. He spent six seasons with the Predators, and has 682 career points.

Sullivan, a 5-foot-8, 161-pound left wing, was drafted in the ninth round by the New Jersey Devils in 1994. He scored a career high 34 goals in 2000-01 with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Also Friday, the Penguins re-signed forward Tyler Kennedy, 24, to a two-year contract worth $4 million.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Pens sign Predators LW Steve Sullivan 1 year at $1.5 mil

Sullivan a Familiar Face for Shero
    Friday, 07.01.2011 / 9:26 PM
    Features By Michelle Crechiolo

Although Steve Sullivan is a 15-year NHL veteran, his name may be unfamiliar to Penguins fans as he’s played in the Western Conference since 1999.

But Sullivan – who has spent the last six seasons in Nashville – is certainly a very familiar face to Ray Shero, as the Penguins general manager worked with Sullivan from 2003-06 when he was still an assistant general manager with the Predators.

So working out the deal that the veteran forward and the Penguins agreed to on Friday – a one-year, $1.5 million contract – was familiar territory for both Sullivan and Shero.

“Ray and I had to negotiate a couple deals, one before the lockout and one right after,” Sullivan, 36, said. “We’ve had a lot of meetings and they’ve all been very positive. So I’m hoping that our past relationship definitely came into play in this.”

And according to Shero, it did.

“I know Steve well from having him in Nashville,” he said. “He’s still a pretty dynamic player. Looking at what we’re trying to do – which is improve our power play – he’s a guy that can potentially help us there.”

The 5-foot-9, 161-pound winger has amassed 682 points (266G-416A) in 890 career contests with New Jersey, Toronto, Chicago and Nashville. He’s also added 17 points (7G-10A) in 44 postseason contests.

Sullivan calls his speed his best asset, saying “I try to play a fast game. … I get in there and try to forecheck pucks and try to make plays.”

He spoke with head coach Dan Bylsma about the kind of role Bylsma envisioned him in before agreeing on a contract. Like Shero, Bylsma envisions Sullivan as a player who could contribute to the power play.

“He thought I could be a top nine forward and that I could see some time on the power play,” Sullivan said. “He liked the way that I was able to carry the puck up the ice. I’m a right-handed shot that’s very versatile; I can play a lot of different areas on the power play. … You can play me down low, you can play me up on the point. He could move me wherever he thought I’d fit best.”

Sullivan has a reputation of longevity with NHL clubs, as he switched teams just once in the past 12 years prior to Friday. But he’s excited about getting a fresh start in the Steel City.

“I’ve been very fortunate not to have moved very often,” he said. “But I’m excited. I think that you’re going to a team that has a legitimate chance at contending for the Stanley Cup. Just that alone is so worth it. I’m so happy to be a part of it.”

In addition to leading by example on the ice, Sullivan will also bring a unique perspective to the Penguins locker room.

Sullivan – who served as an alternate captain with Nashville – missed the entire 2007-08 season due to a severe back injury before returning to action on Jan. 10, 2009 after missing 142-straight regular season games and 11 playoff contests.

He finished that season by scoring 32 points (11G-21A) in 41 games and winning the Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy for his perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey – and says he’s never been more grateful to be able to play the game.

“It was a long journey coming back, but I think it’s been so rewarding,” he said. “I think that I look at the game in a whole different way now. Not that you take it for granted, but I just think that I cherish every time I get on the ice and I’m able to play another game.

Shero dismissed the idea that injuries are a concern with Sullivan entering next season, saying “Right now he’s healthy and ready to go and could play tomorrow if he had to.”

Sullivan and his wife Kristen will begin figuring out the relocation process to Pittsburgh sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. They and their four children – sons Aidyn (12), Garner (9), Drake (6) and daughter Karlisle (7) – hope to be settled in the area by around mid-August.

“Hopefully we’ll have a place settled up by then and try to make the move to Pittsburgh,” Sullivan said. “Start skating with the guys and try to get comfortable with the system.”
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568268&navid=DL|PIT|home[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Watching the video (if you click the link beneath the "Familiar Face" article in the previous post, there is a Sullivan highlight reel below the article), Sullivan appears to be a poor man's Martin St. Louis. I could see the Penguins deciding to leave the 3rd line (Cooke-Staal-Kennedy) intact this year, unlike the plans going into last year in which Staal was supposed to move up to one of the top two lines (until Staal missed the first half of the season and Crosby and Malkin missed the second half of the season). That way, you could give Crosby and Malkin each one power forward (Neal or Kunitz) and one guy with speed (Dupuis or Sullivan). Then your 4th line would be Asham, Adams, and one of the young guys who filled in a lot last year because of all the injuries (Letestu or Jeffrey or Tangradi...Chris Conner remains unsigned). Let's say we start with Letestu, since he played the most last season.

Neal-Crosby-Sullivan
    Kunitz-Malkin-Dupuis
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Asham-Adams-Letestu

Kunitz-Crosby-Sullivan
    Neal-Malkin-Dupuis
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Asham-Adams-Letestu

Neal-Crosby-Dupuis
    Kunitz-Malkin-Sullivan
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Asham-Adams-Letestu

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
    Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
    Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
    Asham-Adams-Letestu

Combine that with a defensive corps featuring a top pair of Letang and Orpik, and amazing second pairing of Martin and Michalek, and a mish-mosh of young guys fighting for playing time on that 3rd defensive pairing (Ben Lovejoy, Matt Niskanen, Deryk Engelland, and Simon Depres), and we've really got something here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kennedy really carried the scoring late last year. I think that earned him a look on the top two lines and some time on the power play.

Neal-Crosby-Kunitz
    Malkin-Staal-Kennedy
    Sullivan-Letestu-Dupuis
    Asham-Adams-Cooke

Crosby has a whole lot of power to get in the goalies face and set him up.

Malkin gets a fresh start as a winger and the Staal/TK combo carrying on together.

The third line is unknown but could be solid.

The fourth line would be a pain in the butt to have to play against. Cooke has earned a bit of a demotion, assuming he is even around for next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    Kennedy really carried the scoring late last year. I think that earned him a look on the top two lines and some time on the power play.

Neal-Crosby-Kunitz
    Malkin-Staal-Kennedy
    Sullivan-Letestu-Dupuis
    Asham-Adams-Cooke

Crosby has a whole lot of power to get in the goalies face and set him up.

Malkin gets a fresh start as a winger and the Staal/TK combo carrying on together.

The third line is unknown but could be solid.

The fourth line would be a pain in the butt to have to play against. Cooke has earned a bit of a demotion, assuming he is even around for next season.
    I like those lines. Interesting combos all. Each adds something different to the equation.

Legend

User Info Menu

[youtube:2scobtw7]EOEEk01OCFY[/youtube:2scobtw7]

Legend

User Info Menu

Sullivan, Penguins Excited About Possibilities
    Thursday, 07.14.2011 / 6:24 PM
    Features By Michelle Crechiolo

With players like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal on their roster, the Penguins have one of the strongest depth charts at the center position in the NHL,

Steve Sullivan, a veteran winger who signed a one-year contract with the Penguins on July 1, is well aware of that fact. And he’s absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to play alongside any of them.

“I’m just looking forward to it. I’ve never seen a cast of centermen like there is here,” he said. “I don't think it matters where I play, right wing or left wing. Anywhere with any of those three players would be a thrill.”

In fact, the incredible depth the Penguins have from top to bottom is the reason why Sullivan, 37, chose Pittsburgh.

He’s at the point in his career where his absolute priority is to win the Stanley Cup.

“You just look at this team from top to bottom and the way they’re built, it’s got longevity to be a winner for a long time,” he said. “For myself, this time around was all about winning. It was about a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So my number one choice was here. Thankfully we got the phone call.”

Sullivan should be able to step in and immediately help fulfill a number of roles for the Penguins.

The winger has called his speed his greatest asset, adding that he likes to forecheck pucks hard and make plays. He projects to fit in well with head coach Dan Bylsma’s offensive-minded system.

And he’s already discussed seeing time on the power play with Bylsma, as it’s a role he’s played prominently throughout his career. Sullivan is a versatile player who feels comfortable both down low and on the point with the man-advantage.

And being a right-handed shot, he can certainly man the left side of the ice – which is crucial given that left-handed players dominate the Penguins roster.

“I think they enjoy the fact that I’m a right-hand shot,” he said. “I’ve been able to quarterback the power play in Nashville the last few years. My position was to carry the puck in the zone and try to set up on the left side. … I can play anywhere on that one side, for the one-timer. Whatever kind of looks coach wants, I’m hoping to help with that.”

And while he’s unsure how he’ll fit in a new dressing room, Sullivan won’t shy away from fulfilling a leadership role if need be – especially with the Penguins’ young core of players.

“I don't think it hurts to have a veteran in there with experience in the league and who’s been through the grind,” he said. “I think that will help with a young club. But those roles kind of fall into place.”

Both Sullivan and the Penguins can’t wait to see how he fits in here in Pittsburgh.

“The intangibles they were missing that they thought they needed to improve this hockey team were things that I could possibly do,” Sullivan said. “So they’re really excited about what the possibilities are. … I’m looking forward to what could be. It’s exciting.”

INJURIES NOT A FACTOR
    Sullivan emphasized the fact that he has been given a clean bill of health and will be ready to go for training camp in September.

He missed a significant amount of time during the 2010-11 regular season with a sports hernia. Sullivan then suffered a knee injury in Game 3 of Nashville’s second-round matchup with Vancouver and missed the remainder of the series.

“There will be no setbacks at all,” he said. “Training’s been going extremely well so far. I’m right on pace to where I think I should be. I have no ill effects from the knee or the sports hernia at all.

“If we would have went another round in the playoffs, I think I could have came back and played.”

He also emphasized that there are absolutely no lingering effects from the severe back injury that caused him to miss the entire 2007-08 season and saw him earn the Bill Masterton Trophy in 2009 because of his perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“The back hasn't been an issue at all,” he said. “Ever since I’ve come back from those two surgeries and all the rehab we did – the 11 months of rehab it took to come back – from the moment I stepped on the ice when I came back, it’s been an absolute nonissue. “

He understands how incredulous it may seem to have no reoccurring problems from an injury of that magnitude. But that’s simply how it is.

“I don’t know why, but it feels better than ever,” he said. “We did a lot of core work and got the area extremely strong afterwards. I think that might have been an issue – the back gives out because of other areas that aren’t able to hold it up. We’ve strengthened everything else around it, from the hip flexors to my core area.”
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569404[/url]