Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Gotta Be Kidding Me!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You Gotta Be Kidding Me!!

Read this garbage and then see my response. Typical uninformed sports journalism.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15276957/to-among-handful-of-active-players-with-canton-credentials"]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1527 ... redentials[/url]

Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Decision: On the bubble
    There are some who say his two rings make him a lock. I say he needs to do a little more. Hey, Jim Plunkett has two and he's not in the Hall.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you kidding me? Ben has played all of 7 years in the NFL. Here is the comparison between Ben and Jim Plunkett using Plunkett’s first 7 years in the league. Plunkett actually struggled in the NFL for his first 9 years. But for comparison we’ll be fair here and use just his first 7.

Ben Roethlisberger’s first 7 years in the NFL

Att 2800 Comp 1766 comp % 63.1 TD’s 144 INT’s 85

3 trips to the Super Bowl with 2 wins

Comebacks/game-winning drives in the fourth quarter/overtime
    Roethlisberger set a NFL rookie record in 2004 with five comeback wins in the fourth quarter, and six game-winning drives in the fourth quarter/overtime (including one playoff game). Roethlisberger has the most comeback wins (19) and game-winning drives (25) through the first seven seasons of a player's career.

Jim Plunkett’s first 7 years in the NFL

Att 1994 Comp 983 Comp % 49.4 TD’s 84 INT’s 117

0 trips to the Super Bowl

Cut twice by two teams in his first 7 years.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: You Gotta Be Kidding Me!!

I think Ben will make it, but not as a first ballot. And the reason for that is he doesn't get the love that Manning and Brady get. He's not a fantasy football monster and that's what will hold him back. Comparing him to Plunkett was just plain stupid though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pretty sure Ben has quite a few years of football playing left to do. He wins another strap or two that changes things quite significantly.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I think Ben will make it, but not as a first ballot. And the reason for that is he doesn't get the love that Manning and Brady get. He's not a fantasy football monster and that's what will hold him back. Comparing him to Plunkett was just plain stupid though.
    I agree with you 100%. Not being a Fantasy Football (FF) stat generator will be Ben's "achilles heel" as far as the HoF. Sprotswriters and broadcasters are no different than a significant part of the fan base who have become totally deluded by stats because of FF. They are lazy so instead of spending hours watching film, it is easy to look at boxscores and stats and draw your conclusions.

There is also still, and will be for a long time, a strong anti-Steelers bias in HoF voting that Dawson has seen for many years, Bettis saw last year and Hines and ben will see when their time is due. I'm betting Hines and Ben have to wait at least 3 trys at a minimum before either is voted in...Bettis too. There is a strong sentiment that there are too many Steelers already in the HoF and the votes show that any Steeler wanting to get in has to be head and shoulders above the others.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben has played only 7 years in the league. Give him another 7 and I think his selection into the Hall of Fame will be automatic. And his number wont be like Manning or Brady but they will still be very good.

Look at the 4th quarter comebacks. That right there is elite status.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Ben blows his achilles and never plays again, will he make the HoF?

I'm not so sure. He's close and maybe after a few tries, but maybe not. If he flounders around for 5-8 more years with not much to show, will he get in? Maybe. But not guaranteed yet.

Starter

User Info Menu

For a RIGHT NOW comparison for Ben as a potential HOF'er, I'd take Terrel Davis - two utterly dominant years with SB victories, but just over 7,000 yards in a 7 year career cut short by injuries. He's the subject of a lot of debate based on that, and I think Ben would be, too... right now, today, though, I don't think either would get in. Ben, though, presumably has at least another 5 to 7 years to continue piling up accomplishments. Further, as the Steeler D ages and or the FO is unable to find a serviceable secondary, the offense could be called upon to do more to win games more often, as happened with the Bradshaw/Swann/Stallworth group in the late '70's. Bradshaw was nowhere CLOSE to being a HOF worthy QB after his first 2 rings - he earned his bust in Canton in '78 and '79, when the team was his.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    For a RIGHT NOW comparison for Ben as a potential HOF'er, I'd take Terrel Davis - two utterly dominant years with SB victories, but just over 7,000 yards in a 7 year career cut short by injuries. He's the subject of a lot of debate based on that, and I think Ben would be, too... right now, today, though, I don't think either would get in. Ben, though, presumably has at least another 5 to 7 years to continue piling up accomplishments. Further, as the Steeler D ages and or the FO is unable to find a serviceable secondary, the offense could be called upon to do more to win games more often, as happened with the Bradshaw/Swann/Stallworth group in the late '70's. Bradshaw was nowhere CLOSE to being a HOF worthy QB after his first 2 rings - he earned his bust in Canton in '78 and '79, when the team was his.
    $$$$$$$$

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    You're talking like Ben's story is complete... as if he's accomplished all he is probably gonna. (If that is your point, it's certainly reasonable. I personally don't think so.) But if he gets to another SB (and wins it), I think that pretty much has to seal the deal for 1st ballot enshrinement. People try to pooh-pooh his SB accomplishments... as if he was a passenger on the ride, etc. BUT THE FACT IS THAT HE'S MADE THREE, WON TWO. Getting to three is a huge accomplishment in itself. You get to FOUR, you are in some quite exalted company. You win three, and it's a done deal.

Granted, if he never wins another one, I suppose I can see the point (of him not being 1st ballot).
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    If Ben blows his achilles and never plays again, will he make the HoF?

I'm not so sure. He's close and maybe after a few tries, but maybe not. If he flounders around for 5-8 more years with not much to show, will he get in? Maybe. But not guaranteed yet.
    It's an interesting question. Because if you erased all his off-field stuff, I really think he would be a lock HOF'r right now. (The thing with our hypothetical here is that most any player coming off a catastrophic injury, would come back, potentially flounder, etc. Would have an effect.)

But let's say he was Peyton Manning perception-wise, and Ben's on-field stats and accomplishments after 7 years, and then he just dropped off the football map. That player would be a shoe-in IMO.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.