Thread: Penguins re-sign Pascal Dupuis to a 2 year, $3 million deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Penguins re-sign Pascal Dupuis to a 2 year, $3 million deal

Pittsburgh Penguins sign Pascal Dupuis to two-year deal
    PUBLISHED 1 hour and 13 minutes ago
    Craig Custance

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Pascal Dupuis to a two-year contract extension worth a total of $3 million, an NHL source confirmed with Sporting News.

The speedy winger has found a home in Pittsburgh after coming over in the Marian Hossa trade in 2008. He’s a strong penalty killer who can contribute offensively on any line. He had 17 goals last season after scoring 18 the previous year.

Dupuis was also a plus-16, the second-best total of his career. With the Penguins thinned by injuries, he averaged 16:52 of ice time in 2010-11, his highest total since the 2002-03 season in Minnesota.

Penguins GM Ray Shero still has work to do before free agency begins July 1. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Shero hopes to get a deal done with Tyler Kennedy before the end of the week and carve out an agreement with Jaromir Jagr before Friday. Jagr can’t officially be signed until July 1.
    [url]http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-06-28/pittsburgh-penguins-sign-pascal-dupuis-to-two-year-deal[/url]

Penguins sign Dupuis to 2-year contract
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Penguins have signed free-agent winger Pascal Dupuis to a two-year contract.

The deal carries an annual salary-cap hit of $1.5 million.

Dupuis, 32, would have become an unrestricted free agent if he didn't re-sign by July 1.

Neither general manager Ray Shero nor Dupuis' agent, Allan Walsh, could immediately be reached for comment.

Dupuis, who was paid $1.4 million in 2010-11, had 17 goals and 20 assists in 81 games.

He was used in a variety of roles, including as a top-six forward, and has been a fixture on the Penguins' penalty-killing unit, which was the highest-ranked in the NHL last season.

Dupuis has been one of the Penguins most reliable two-way forwards since the Penguins acquired him, along with Marian Hossa, from Atlanta in 2008.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11179/1156767-100.stm[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Penguins re-sign Pascal Dupuis to a 2 year, $3 million d

Penguins Re-Sign Forward Pascal Dupuis
    Tuesday, 06.28.2011 / 2:30 PM
    News Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forward Pascal Dupuis to a two-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal begins with 2011-12 season and runs through the 2012-13 campaign, and has an average annual value of $1.5 million.

Dupuis, 32, finished this past season ranked among the top-five Penguins in goals (17, 4th), points (37, t-5th) and rating (plus-16, 3rd). Dupuis’ goal and point totals were both the third-highest totals of his career. A valuable member of the NHL’s No. 1-ranked penalty killing unit, Dupuis led the team and ranked fourth (tied) in the NHL with a career-high four shorthanded tallies.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound forward has spent the previous three-plus seasons with Pittsburgh since being acquired from the then-Atlanta Thrashers on Feb. 26, 2008. In 249 regular-season games with Pittsburgh, Dupuis has totaled 49 goals, 66 assists, 115 points and a plus-26 rating. Over the past two regular seasons, the versatile forward has averaged 17.5 goals, the best two-year stretch of his career.

A member of the Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup championship squad, Dupuis has appeared in 56 postseason games with Pittsburgh, collecting five goals, 11 assists and 16 points. He scored one goal in seven postseason contests this past spring.

Overall, the Laval, QC native has appeared in 668 regular-season games in nine-plus NHL seasons with Minnesota, the NY Rangers, Atlanta and Pittsburgh, scoring 130 goals, 147 assists and 277 points. Dupuis has added 27 points (10G-17A) in 76 postseason contests.

Dupuis’ best season came in 2002-03 with Minnesota when he notched career highs across the board in goals (20), assists (2 and points (4 in 80 games with the Wild.

Prior to debuting with Minnesota in 2000-01, Dupuis spent four seasons split between Rouyn-Noranda and Shawinigan of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) from 1996-2000. In 229 games, Dupuis tallied 247 career points (105G-142A).
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567520&navid=DL|PIT|home[/url]

A Perfect Fit
    Dupuis Hopes to Keep Thriving in Pittsburgh
    Tuesday, 06.28.2011 / 5:50 PM
    Features By Michelle Crechiolo

When Pascal Dupuis came to Pittsburgh from Atlanta along with Marian Hossa at the trade deadline in 2008, he probably didn’t imagine he’d still be a Penguin over five years from that point.

But that’s exactly the case, as Dupuis signed a two-year contract with the Penguins on Tuesday that will keep him with the team through the 2012-13 season.

Dupuis chose to forego potential unrestricted free agency to stay in Pittsburgh because the Laval, Quebec native and his family – wife Carole-Lyne, daughters Maeva, Zoe, and Lola and son Kody – have firmly planted their roots in the area.

“It’s mainly because of the team and the city,” Dupuis said of his motivation to re-sign with the Penguins. “We really love Pittsburgh. The kids are in school there, and we love the schools. We love the people. We love our neighbors. We love our house. … I’ve got four kids and everybody loves it in Pittsburgh.

“It was the only place we wanted to go.”

On the ice, Dupuis has thrived in Pittsburgh since his arrival over three years ago, recording 115 points (49G-66A) and a plus-26 rating in 249 regular-season games. He has also added 16 points (5G-11A) in 56 playoff contests, winning a Stanley Cup in 2009 (and helping his team to the Final the year before).

The versatile winger – who has missed just a combined two games over the past two seasons – chipped in his share of offense in 2010-11 while seamlessly meshing with any combination of linemates head coach Dan Bylsma paired him with, scoring 17 goals while playing anywhere from the first to the fourth line.

“Whoever they want me to play with in the lineup, I think I can adjust,” Dupuis said. “It’s a matter of believing in the guy next to you, in the system and in your teammates.”

Dupuis can play a number of roles for the Penguins, but his main duty is to be a strong two-way forward – which he does with energy and passion.

Not only does Dupuis pressure relentlessly on the forecheck and generally wreak havoc in the offensive zone, but he also uses his explosive speed to backcheck diligently and chip in defensively – never shying away from physical contact or from blocking shots.

Basically, Dupuis is a perfect fit for Bylsma’s system – wearing teams down by maintaining puck possession in the offensive zone and imposing their physical will on the opposition, all while being defensively responsible.

“The way Dan coaches, I think it helps my game,” Dupuis said. “It helps elevating my game with the way he wants to play. … (The system) suits me well, I think.”

Dupuis has also developed into one of the team’s top penalty killers. Last season, he recorded a team-best four shorthanded markers while helping Pittsburgh finish the 2010-11 campaign with the league’s No. 1-ranked penalty kill for the first time in franchise history.

But Dupuis attributes any individual success he may be discovering on the penalty kill as being the end result of a team effort.

“I think we grew as a unit,” he said. “It’s not only me personally. … I think the way we adjusted, the way we prepared for other teams – I think that’s what we all learned. … Not only on the ice, but off the ice, getting ready for opponents.”

In addition to his on-ice contributions, Dupuis provides a strong locker-room presence. He possesses that invaluable leadership that comes with having played 668 regular-season games and 76 playoff contests over his nine-year career.

“I’ve been through quite a bit in my career, a lot of ups and downs,” he said. “I was young before (laughs). But now I almost have 700 games, so I have a lot of experience.”

Now that he and his family are settled in Pittsburgh, Dupuis can fully focus his attention on helping his team raise that coveted silver chalice.

"On my end here, I’m working out,” he said. “We all have the same goal in mind. That’s to play together as a unit, play together as a team and win another Cup."
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567613[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.