Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jagr's agent having talks with Penguins

Re: Jagr's agent having talks with Penguins

Out of all the free agents, I'd hate to see Talbot go the most. Love Duper, but Talbot just
    seems like he fills that quirky Pittsburgh sports "superstar" role so well.

No need for Goddard

I'll take Rupp

Not sure about Conner or Sterling. Haven't seen much of Sterling.

Hate to see Kennedy go and Jefferys seems like he has a knack for finding the net.

What's the word on Jefferys injury anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    What's the word on Jefferys injury anyway?

Dustin Jeffrey (knee surgery) will be able to start normal hockey activity by October according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Jeffrey underwent knee surgery on April 5 and it was expected to take six months of recovery time, which would place his return at the beginning of the 2011-12 season barring any setback. The 23-year-old had seven goals and 12 points in only 25 National Hockey League games this past season. He could be valuable in fantasy pools if the Penguins place him on one of the top two lines but he is likely to be a bottom six forward next season, giving him a lot less value. Jun 4

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Kovacevic: Penguins, Jagr must give

By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, June 26, 2011

ST. PAUL, Minn. It won't take a power play by the Penguins to get Jaromir Jagr. That plainly is a good thing.

What it will take, based on what I've gathered here at the NHL Entry Draft this weekend, is all parties making a few concessions.

That must start with the team.

No formal offer has been made, though general manager Ray Shero said Saturday he expected to talk today or Monday with Jagr's agent, Petr Svoboda, who was late in arriving from the Czech Republic because of a personal issue but should be in Montreal soon.

"We'll talk in the next day or two and see how it goes," Shero said.

When it reaches the offer stage, the Penguins can't lowball Jagr. No matter their salary cap issues they have about $8 million free but several of their own players still to re-sign the Penguins can't approach Jagr with, say, a $1 million that some fourth-liner could collect. They also can't approach with an incentive-based contract. That's for tryout candidates, not first-ballot Hall of Famers. It would be an insult.

Shero can and should do better.

I'm no capologist, but $8 million sounds like enough to keep Tyler Kennedy, Mike Rupp and Pascal Dupuis, their key remaining free agents, with room left to pay Jagr in the $2 million-plus range. If not, it probably would take no more than a minor roster move to clear what's needed.

All this is assuming Shero truly wants Jagr, and I'm not convinced that's the case.

I know Mario Lemieux does. Trust me, he's not in the habit of reaching out personally to free agents as he did with a long-distance call to Jagr earlier this week.

I also know coach Dan Bylsma does. He has used the terms "intriguing" and "power play" in every other sentence when discussing Jagr here, which might as well be code for, "Ray, please, this is my half-wall guy on the power play."

But the Shero with whom I spoke here wasn't exactly doing cartwheels over Jagr. He isn't elaborating on the topic in any way, so this is just a sense I get. Shero has a roster he likes, a chemistry he likes, a style of player he likes, and he is right to have concerns on all those fronts.

"We have some interest," Shero said Saturday. "We've talked to the agent, and we've talked to Jaromir. We want to find out what we have to offer and what his motivation is to get back to the National Hockey League versus going back to Russia."

It's not an easy decision for Shero to add Jagr, but it's the right one. As Shero told me, "There's no question Jagr can still play. He's in great shape."

The Penguins are being handed a gift, and they need to find a way to accept it.

So does Jagr.

I've heard enough to believe that Jagr wants to return to Pittsburgh, that it's his top priority. The idea that he's using the Penguins to get more money from Detroit or a Russian team, with apologies to Shero, is ridiculous. If Jagr wanted to use an NHL team to angle for higher pay, he wouldn't be focused on the Penguins and Red Wings, two teams with little cap room.

But Jagr needs to show he's serious in the most meaningful way and take less money. He and Svoboda are on record as being amenable to a one-year contract, but that's a no-brainer for a 39-year-old. They need to work with the Penguins around their cap issues. Jagr has made roughly $100 million in his lifetime, half of that from the Penguins. He's nearing the end, and an extra $1 million or so shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Let's rewind to something Jagr told The Hockey News two years ago: "If Mario would call me and say, 'I'd like you to play for our team,' I would think about it a lot. I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am."

Well, here's your chance, 68.

Lemieux has done his part. There might even be an outreach soon from Sidney Crosby.

If Shero and Jagr each give a little, this will get done.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1QRWn0uWJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Out of all the free agents, I'd hate to see Talbot go the most.

looks like Talbot may very well be on his way out:

Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette is reporting that Max Talbot has declined a three-year contract offer of unspecified value. He is expected to test the free agent market, where he likely will receive better deals than what the Penguins can offer.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... ree-agents

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Pens plan to keep Kennedy, land Jagr
    By Josh Yohe and Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011
    Last updated: 9:47 am

The Penguins cut Tyler Kennedy loose Monday, but general manager Ray Shero said he wants to re-sign him before NHL free agency begins Friday.

Shero also hopes to reach a tentative agreement on a one-year deal with Jaromir Jagr before Friday, industry sources told the Tribune-Review last night.

Kennedy, a right winger, became an unrestricted free agent after the Penguins chose not to tender him a qualifying offer by a 5 p.m. deadline yesterday. Shero said that decision was made to avoid an arbitration hearing.

"We want clarity in this situation. By doing this we get the most clarity," Shero said. "An arbitration hearing can go into early August. We want to know what's going on before then."

Shero also said he planned to speak with Jagr's agent, Petr Svoboda, either last night or today. The

Penguins aren't known to have made Jagr an offer as of last night, but team officials spent yesterday seriously considering the option of signing Jagr, sources said.

Shero also said he wants one or both of two unrestricted free agent forwards -- Mike Rupp and Pascal Dupuis -- signed before Friday, when free agency begins at noon.

Of the players Shero is targeting, only Jagr can't be signed before Friday per the NHL's collective bargaining agreement. However, Jagr's camp would like to have parameters of a deal worked out before Friday, sources said.

Svoboda said last week the Penguins and Detroit are the top two contenders to sign Jagr, a right winger who last played in the NHL in 2008.

If Friday arrives without Kennedy, Jagr, Dupuis and/or Rupp signed, the Penguins will turn their attention to available free agents to fill out their roster.

"We have a replacement list," Shero said.

The Penguins are approximately $8 million under the salary cap for next season.

Shero stressed that he didn't believe heading to arbitration with Kennedy was a wise move, insisting Kennedy "had a good case."

Kennedy, 24, saw his ice time increase because of injuries to Penguins stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in the second half of the regular season. He responded with a career-high 21 goals.

"(Kennedy) wants to come back," Shero said. "And we certainly want him back."

A qualifying offer would have provided Kennedy only a 10 percent raise on his previous salary ($725,000), per the CBA. Kennedy`s camp expects he can at least double that annual salary and score a multiyear deal on the open market.

Kennedy was a restricted free agent until yesterday. If the Penguins had tendered him a qualifying offer, he still could have signed with a another club Friday, but the Penguins would have had a week to match or receive compensatory picks if they opted to decline.

By not tendering Kennedy an offer, the Penguins will relinquish his rights come Friday, as they will with Rupp, Dupuis and other unrestricted free agents such forward Max Talbot.

Shero said Talbot, who has turned down a three-year offer from the Penguins, would test the market Friday.
    Shero is optimistic about Kennedy's return, and coach Dan Bylsma is downright enthusiastic about the possibility of adding Jagr -- a five-time scoring champion in his 11 seasons with the Penguins from 1990-2001.

"I've been on the record a few times saying what the attributes of Jaromir Jagr are," Bylsma said. "They're still really good."

Bylsma also addressed any concerns that Jagr, 39, would struggle adapting to the Penguins' up-tempo style.

"If Jaromir Jagr, hypothetically, were to (sign with the Penguins), I don`t think we`d have to change everything drastically," Bylsma said, "If you watched Jaromir play in the World Championships, his down-low play was outstanding. He hasn't missed a beat in that regard."

Bylsma acknowledged that he isn't sure what to expect as the week plays out.

"It's a frantic time," he said.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Jagr decision will come tomorrow
    By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011
    Last updated: 7:42 pm

The Penguins will find out tomorrow if Jaromir Jagr is returning to Pittsburgh.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero offered Jagr a one-year contract this afternoon.

"We'll find out tomorrow," Shero said. "We made our offer. It's an offer that really isn't going to change. We only have so much to spend."

Shero threw compliments in Jagr's direction.

"He was an icon in Pittsburgh," Shero said. "We'd like to see him finish his career here."

Shero spoke with Jagr Monday and the NHL's 9th all-time leading scorer said he wants to play for the Penguins.

It is believed that the Detroit Red Wings and one other team possibly the Montreal Canadiens are bidding for Jagr's services.

"We had good talks today," Petr Svoboda, Jagr's agent, said earlier today.

In other news, Shero has made contact with unrestricted free agent Arron Asham about returning to the Penguins. Shero also spoke with agents representing Mike Rupp and Tyler Kennedy about possible contracts.

The Penguins signed Pascal Dupuis to a two-year, $3 million deal this morning.

Sounds to me like he's going to sign, but if not there will be nor further negotiations.

I'm optimistic, but am not going to start growing a mullet until the deal is in writing.

Jagr on way to U.S., decision nears
    By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011
    Last updated: 10:40 am

Jagr decision looms

The agent for Jaromir Jagr said today that Jagr is en route to the United States and will inform of a decision on his NHL future late this afternoon.

"He is flying to New York (from the Czech Republic) right now," agent Petr Svoboda said. "He is coming this afternoon and will tell us his answer then."

Svoboda said he talked to Jagr last night about the Pens' offer, and that Detroit and Montreal are also known to have made offers.

Jagr is not expected to arrive in the U.S. until at least 3:30 p.m. Svoboda said he expects to know Jagr's decision within an hour of his arrival.

The Penguins have set today as a deadline to hear if Jagr will accept their one-year offer that is around $2 million to play for them next season. Jagr, 39, spent the first 11 seasons of his NHL career with the Penguins, but has spent the past three years playing in Russia.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero said he has spoken with Jagr, who told him he wants to play for the Penguins.

"He was an icon in Pittsburgh," Shero said. "We'd like to see him finish his career here."

Jagr decision pending, despite reports
    By Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011
    Last updated: 6:04 pm

JFK delays
    Turtles slow down traffic at airport

Despite overseas reports that Jaromir Jagr has agreed to a contract with the Penguins, both parties say no decision has been made.

Jagr's agent, Petr Svoboda, confirmed that Jagr is en route to the U.S. and will arrive in New York City today.

"None of the rumors are true," he said. "He hasn't signed with anyone yet."

Penguins general manager Ray Shero was contacted by the Tribune-Review earlier today and said that he has not been informed of Jagr's decision.

Shero and Svoboda have confirmed that a decision regarding which team Jagr plays for this season will be reached today.

A Russian online source is reporting that Jagr has already agreed to a one-year deal with the Penguins, but Russian news sources are infamous for not always reporting accurate information about such situations.

It is believed that the Penguins offered Jagr, 39, a one-year contract worth approximately $2 million.

The Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens are also believed to be interested in Jagr's services.

Jagr cannot officially sign with an NHL team until Friday.

Svoboda expects Jagr to make his decision within an hour of arriving in New York. It's unknown if Jagr intends on flying to Pittsburgh or Montreal, or Detroit later today.

Svoboda reported that, as of 5:35 p.m., Jagr's flight still has not landed at JFK International Airport in New York. While Jagr is en route to New York, Svoboda remains in Montreal.

Jagr won five scoring titles and a Hart Trophy as NHL MVP during his 11 seasons with the Penguins.

He has been quoted in recent years about his desire to return to Pittsburgh, and today, he gets his chance.

Agent: Jagr decision to come today
    By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 30, 2011
    Last updated: 9:31 am

The agent for Jaromir Jagr said his client is in New York and said today he expects a decision about Jagr's NHL future by the end of today.

Petr Svoboda said he was scheduled to speak with Penguins general manager Ray Shero shortly. This was around 9:20 a.m.

"We are going to exchange some things," Svoboda said, adding that he would also speak with Detroit and Montreal about Jagr.

"This is obviously a tough decision for Jaromir. His heart is in Pittsburgh."

Shero said late Wednesday that he has not heard from Jagr's camp. Shero had set Wednesday as a deadline to hear if Jagr would accept a one-year offer from the Penguins that sources have said is within the $2 million range.

Longtime associates of Penguins majority co-owner Mario Lemieux and NHL agents told the Tribune-Review Wednesday they believe parameters of an agreement for Jagr to play next season with the Penguins are in place, and that Lemieux believes Jagr is coming back.

Jagr, 39, played his first 11 NHL seasons with the Penguins. He has played the past three seasons in Russia.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_744628.html