Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Magazine: Steelers are 7th Best Franchise In Sports

Legend

User Info Menu

ESPN Magazine: Steelers are 7th Best Franchise In Sports

The Steelers are the 7th Best Franchise In Sports, Says ESPN Magazine

Posted on June 15, 2011 by adam

For the ninth year in a row ESPN The Magazine is compiling its ultimate franchise ranking, which takes every team in the four major North American sports and ranks them based on a number of categories including ownership, bang for the buck, how affordable it is to attend a game, title track, coaching and fan relations. The 2011 issue is set to hit newsstands on Friday, but word is already getting out as to which teams are at the top of the list. Your Pittsburgh Steelers come in at No. 7 (out of 122), trailing only the Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Lightning (!?), New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder.

The Penguins show up in the No. 10 spot making Pittsburgh the only city with two franchises in the top 10, which is nice. It’s also the second time in the past four years that’s happened as the Steelers and Penguins finished No. 3 and 8 respectively in 2009.

Since ESPN started doing these rankings in 2003 the Steelers have finished 7th (2011), 28th (2010), 3rd (2009), 25th (200, 9th (2007), 3rd (2006), 9th (2005), 16th (2004), and 15th (2003).

Which team was ranked as the worst franchise in sports? The Cincinnati Bengals, of course.

[url="http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/steelers-7th-franchise-sports-espn-magazine/"]http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/s ... -magazine/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: ESPN Magazine: Steelers are 7th Best Franchise In Sports

Regardless of whatever criteria were utilized, The Oklahoma Thunder should not even be mentioned in the same article with the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the only other team in the top 7 worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence is the Packers. The rest...really?

Legend

User Info Menu

The Saints above us? Really? Weren't they just about to move out of New Orleans?

Whats next? The Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Rams will make next year's list?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anger 82&95
    Regardless of whatever criteria were utilized, The Oklahoma Thunder should not even be mentioned in the same article with the Steelers.
    These words carry great wisdom.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OKC Thunder? Are you kidding me? Completely ridiculous. They've been in OKc for how long? And their ownership is looked highly upon after the fiasco and tragedy in Seattle?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And not to be a hater, I like the Packers. Always have.

But can you give me ONE reason why they are ranked higher than the Steelers?

Starter

User Info Menu

Hell, I had to Google the OKC Thunder just to find out what professional sport they played. My first instinct was that the Thunder were probably a soccer franchise. Surprise, surprise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned
    Hell, I had to Google the OKC Thunder just to find out what professional sport they played. My first instinct was that the Thunder were probably a soccer franchise. Surprise, surprise.

I think that they get high marks because of the way the city and state has embraced them. They actually have done some very good things since they moved to OKC. They have been successful, they have a talented young team and IIRC they sell out every game.

That said they are ranked too high since they are the only game in town and don't have the longevity to really evaluate their success.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk
    OKC Thunder? Are you kidding me? Completely ridiculous. They've been in OKc for how long? And their ownership is looked highly upon after the fiasco and tragedy in Seattle?

The criteria for the ranking isn't winning or storied franchises... it's ownership, bang for the buck, how affordable it is to attend a game, title track, coaching and fan relations.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"