Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Magazine: Steelers are 7th Best Franchise In Sports

Re: ESPN Magazine: Steelers are 7th Best Franchise In Sports

to answer why the Packers are ahead of us is easy! They are the only team OWNED by the public. As much as I love the Steelers there is no way we will ever pass the Green Bay Packers in this ranking and rightfully so IMO. We should be 2nd though! LOL

Tampa Bay Lightning???

I was in Orlando when the Pens were playing the the Lightning and could have EASILY gotten tickets to a PLAYOFF game.

I'll give them one thing though, the tickets were cheap. But isn't that a simple rule of
    supply and demand indicating there's not much of a demand for the product? How great
    is your franchise if no one cares that you exist?

Maybe some of our Florida residents can clarify. Ovie?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Tampa Bay Lightning???

I was in Orlando when the Pens were playing the the Lightning and could have EASILY gotten tickets to a PLAYOFF game.

I'll give them one thing though, the tickets were cheap. But isn't that a simple rule of
    supply and demand indicating there's not much of a demand for the product? How great
    is your franchise if no one cares that you exist?

Maybe some of our Florida residents can clarify. Ovie?
    I think easy tickets that are cheap is the reason for the boost in rankings....

When the average fan can't afford ticket's or even get tickets it's not a fan friendly franchise given the criteria for these rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    to answer why the Packers are ahead of us is easy! They are the only team OWNED by the public. As much as I love the Steelers there is no way we will ever pass the Green Bay Packers in this ranking and rightfully so IMO. We should be 2nd though! LOL

Fair enough.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk
    And not to be a hater, I like the Packers. Always have.

But can you give me ONE reason why they are ranked higher than the Steelers?
    They just beat us in the SuperBowl. Had we won the SuperBowl, we'd have had the juice to be #1 on the list.

Pro Bowler

I would say the Lightning, Saints and Thunder are all head-scratchers. And I say that about the Thunder because it is a ranking of franchises, and this franchise recenetly moved across the country because it wasn't putting enough people in the crowd.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk
    And not to be a hater, I like the Packers. Always have.

But can you give me ONE reason why they are ranked higher than the Steelers?
    They just beat us in the SuperBowl. Had we won the SuperBowl, we'd have had the juice to be #1 on the list.
    But the Steelers have won 2 additional SB's in the past 5 years.

Past, current Bengals chime in on ESPN ranking

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2011

ESPN The Magazine recently ranked all pro sports franchises from top to bottom. And at the bottom was the team known affectionately (or otherwise) as the Bungles.

The pride of Cincinnati, regarded by Bristol as the worst team in all of professional sports.

“Don’t you think we’d all be surprised if they weren’t ranked last?’’ former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason said Thursday, according to Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“It’s never going to change,’’ Esiason added. “There is no expectation the team is going to win. There never has been. I can’t sugarcoat it.’’

Esiason thinks that owner Mike Brown simply lacks the desire to field a consistently winning team.

“You can have all the money in the world,” Esiason said. “You can sock it away in a mattress. But the reason you’re in [the NFL] is because you’re competitive. You want to win. The family has never experienced that.’’

In our view, Brown simply defines “winning” differently than winning, you know, games. Brown’s team consistently remains one of the most profitable in the NFL, because the team restricts spending while sharing in the massive league-wide revenues from ticket sales and TV contracts.

Current (for now) Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco believes that he’s a scapegoat for the team’s struggles, a topic he mentioned when the issue of the low ranking was raised during a Friday appearance on ESPN 1000 in Chicago.

“For some reason, for some odd reason, the mishaps for us as a team, they always fall back on me because of my style of play,” Ochocinco said. “What I’ve done wrong, I’ve done this, this is why we’re losing. But it’s been somewhat of a tradition for so long. But I’ve taken that weight and I’ve tried to make us fun again, to make us as an organization fun and relevant and . . . to make the best out of a bad situation.”

The situation hasn’t gotten any better, and for now the Bengals will generally remain bad. Sure, they’ll periodically overachieve their way into the playoffs, but with no postseason wins since 1990, a free-agency philosophy consisting of acquiring talented players whom no one else wants at a low cost because no one else wants them, and a franchise quarterback who wants out, don’t count on anything changing any time soon in Cincinnati.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-ranking/

Another ex-Bengal agrees with the “worst franchise” ranking

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 3, 2011

After ESPN The Magazine ranked the Bengals as the worst pro sports franchise in North America, former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason said that ranking was a no-brainer.

Now Dave Rimington, the center who snapped the ball to Esiason in Cincinnati, has said the same.

Rimington, the two-time Outland Trophy winner who’s widely regarded as the best center in college football history, had a somewhat disappointing NFL career after the Bengals chose him in the first round of the 1983 NFL draft. Rimington told ESPN.com it was difficult adjusting from playing at Nebraska to playing in Cincinnati.

“I went from one of the best organizations in college football to probably one of the worst organizations in the NFL,” Rimington said. “I went from a weight room that was half the size of a football field to a weight room that looked like a junior high weight room, and the strength coach didn’t want anybody to lift.”

Rimington said he was stunned by the things he had to endure with the Bengals.

“It was ridiculous the stuff we had to go through there,” he said. “I just had to shake my head. It’s like the black hole of professional football. Good players go there and you never hear from them again.”

It was almost a quarter of a century ago that Rimington left the Bengals. The perceptions of the franchise, however, have not changed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-ranking/

Wow, I knew the Browns weren't the best owners in the league, but listening to Rimington is really eye opening. How do you stay a fan? Esiason and Rimington are basically telling you the team isn't trying to win games, only you're hard earned dollars.

further more, as a player, how do you stay there after you're first contract expires? I'd be gone as soon as possible. If the Bengals are willing to pay you, every other team is willing to pay based on the fact that they try to ink players on the cheap.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll