Thread: Penguins Name Bill Guerin Player Development Coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Penguins Name Bill Guerin Player Development Coach

Cool...Billy G working with the young'uns in the Pens organ-eye-zay-shun. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I go out to lunch here in Wilkes-Barre for a possible Guerin sighting at local establishments.

Penguins Name Bill Guerin Player Development Coach
    Wednesday, 06.08.2011 / 12:30 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins have hired former player and Stanley Cup champion Bill Guerin as player development coach, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

In his new role, Guerin, 40, will be responsible for working with young prospects throughout the Penguins’ organization – assisting in the development of players in the minor leagues as well as junior and college hockey.

Guerin played 18 NHL seasons for eight teams, recording 429 goals and 427 assists for 856 points and winning two Stanley Cups.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound right winger played 95 games for the Penguins over the final two seasons of his career before retiring in 2010. He was an essential part of the Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup championship after being acquired at the March, 2009 trade deadline.

“Billy has only been retired as a player for one year, so he brings a new and very contemporary perspective to the position,” Shero said. “He is going to be a big asset to our young prospects throughout the organization, and to our staff.”

Guerin also played for the New Jersey Devils, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders in a career that spanned from 1991-92 through 2009-10. He broke in with the Devils and won a Stanley Cup there in 1995.

A native of Wilbraham, MA, Guerin also represented the U.S. in the Olympics in 1988, 2002 and 2006 and played in two World Cups.
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=565196&cmpid=pit-email-penguins[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Penguins Name Bill Guerin Player Development Coach

Guerin Stays a Penguin Even After Retirement
    Wednesday, 06.08.2011 / 1:07 PM
    By Sam Kasan

Forward Bill Guerin ended his 18-year NHL career as a Penguin. And now he’ll be beginning his post-career as a Penguin.

On Wednesday, the Penguins announced that Guerin, who was a member of the team’s 2009 Stanley Cup championship team, will join the hockey operations department as player development coach.

“I’m thrilled about it,” Guerin said. “I wanted to stay in this organization. It’s nice to officially get it done and be a part of the Penguins again. I like the people that are here. I like the way things are done here.

“If I want to stay involved in the game, which I do, I want to learn from good people and this side. I feel if I surround myself with good people like they have here, it’ll be a great experience.”

In his role, Guerin will work with prospects throughout the Penguins’ organization – overseeing and coordinating the development of players from juniors, college and minor league level.

“Players in the organization, the younger ones specifically and guys in Wilkes-Barre, I’m going to make sure they are doing what they need to develop properly and become NHL players,” Guerin said. “We have different criteria for each player. We just want to make sure they’re doing what they need to do to developing properly, and giving them the best chance of becoming an NHL player.”

Guerin, who also won a Cup with New Jersey in 1995, retired as a Penguin Dec. 6, 2010 prior to the Penguins’ 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils at CONSOL Energy Center. He played the final one-plus seasons of his illustrated career in Pittsburgh, and was a critical element to the team’s ’09 championship season.

Guerin spent last season shadowing Penguins assistant to the general manager Tom Fitzgerald and assistant general manager Jason Botterill to learn many of the aspects involved in hockey operations, including player development.

“I’ve done some work in the past season with Tommy Fitzgerald and Jason in Wilkes-Barre,” Guerin said. “It helps to know everybody and how things work around here. I’ve known Tom for 20 years now and have known Dan (Bylsma) for a long time. To go through the experiences that we did together, you develop a relationship. That makes the transition nice.”
    [url]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=565223&cmpid=pit-email-penguins[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.