Thread: NFL prepares for 8-game season contingency plan

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

NFL prepares for 8-game season contingency plan

If I had to guess, should we be limited to an 8 game season, they'd probably still have the home-and-home series with each of your division rivals (6 games) and then play the two unique games against teams that finished in the same position as you in the standings last season (in our case, vs. New England and at Kansas City), and they would just throw out the games against an entire division in the AFC and NFC (in our case, we'd lose all of games against the AFC South and NFC West...no Colts, Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Seahawks, Rams, Niners, or Cardinals).

One frightening thing about the possibility of a half-schedule. Remember a few years ago how an aging Roger Clemens sat out the first half of the baseball season, then signed with the Yankees midway through the season, reducing the wear-and-tear on his old bones? Well, if the entire league was only playing half a season, I'd guess there is a possibility of an old QB...he who shall not be named...but he wears #4...considering unretirement for the umpteenth time in order to play only half a year, chasing that ring once again. Ugh...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp2407

NFL prepares for 8-game season contingency plan
    By Doug Farrar

It's not an absolute lead-pipe lock that we'll have a full NFL season, and as such, the owners and commissioner have been planning for alternate shortened seasons, the likes of which we haven't had since 1987, which was the last time there was a work stoppage. And when all is said and done, the 15-game season then with replacement player games interspersed may seem like a gift if the plans the league are discussing become a reality. In 1982, only nine regular-season games were played because of what was then the longest work stoppage in NFL history.

According to Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal, the league is now planning for how pro football would be played with an eight-game season that could start in late November, based on a possible settlement in October that would allow for a free-agency period and training camp.

The 16-game schedule for 2011 was released on April 19, and there's been some thought that the schedule could still be played in full even if it started in Week 4. In that case, all byes and the week between the conference championships and Super Bowl would be eliminated, the Super Bowl would be pushed back a week, and the early scheduled games could be played at the end of the regular season.

It's not known how an eight-game season would work out interdivision matchups would take six games from each team, and the other two in-season games could be set up in several different ways.

Of course, the hope is that there's an uninterrupted season, but contingency plans are necessities at this point; after months of court cases and negotiations, the two sides are still far enough apart to make a truncated season an unfortunate reality that everyone must prepare for.

Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

Legend

Re: NFL prepares for 8-game season contingency plan

8 game season? LOL... cut the SB trophy in half.

Pro Bowler

I hope they can work out a deal to have 16 games. I will not pay much attention to an *8 game season.

Hall of Famer

Our usual mid-season swoon would come along right around playoff time. Still, theres advantages in a short season for an older veteran-laden team. Perhaps a couple guys that might otherwise leave will decide to stick it out one more year. Practice squad will be full of draft picks.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

Well, if the entire league was only playing half a season, I'd guess there is a possibility of an old QB...he who shall not be named...but he wears #4...considering unretirement for the umpteenth time in order to play only half a year, chasing that ring once again. Ugh..................

nooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    Well, if the entire league was only playing half a season, I'd guess there is a possibility of an old QB...he who shall not be named...but he wears #4...considering unretirement for the umpteenth time in order to play only half a year, chasing that ring once again. Ugh..................

nooooooooooo

which team will be the one that can win the Super Bowl and give Brett his perfect Hollywood ending?

Legend

#4's best shot would be to sign on as Aaron Rodger's backup.

I'd shorten the season even further by just having all 32 franchises start the season off as playoff teams and do a single-elimination tournament like they do in college basketball.

I think an 8 game season is the likely outcome of the lockout. The owners know that they players need it more than them, so if they don't get what they want, they'll make them sweat it out.

I think we'll see all the lower and mid level players lining up to play come early November.

If we can't have a real season, I'd watch the bracket proposed by Notleadpoisoned, but it would only take 5 weeks and I hope we have more football than that.

why not just make it a 6-game season where you play your divisional rivals twice (home & away) and the divisional champs can then end up playing each other in the playoffs?