Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Limas Sweed help the Steelers?

Pro Bowler

Re: Can Limas Sweed help the Steelers?

"I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

I don't know if he'll ever be anything in the NFL or not, but his hands won't be what holds him back, IMO. There are some sick catches in this video.

Pappy"

Well, he had ALOT of time and space in most of those plays. It was college, so the level of comp was lower and many of those CBs were alone with teams fearing VY. He had ALOT of space to make moves in those clips. He highpointed like Burress did. Let his feet fall and reached up, but that's enough when 6'4 sometimes. Also, those were 'highlights' and even some of those showed his patented stone hands to slow the ball down to catch it on the bounce. And VY was a SOOOOFFTTT thrower. Easy to catch with hands. Speed up those passes, embarrass yourself in practice and lose confidence for game day. We can't keep holding onto guys with 'potential' for 5 years. If he goes elsewhere and has some solid career, so be it. We can't wait for ten years. Maybe he needs a new address where he isn't shamed every day in practice. Which team has the worst CBs to go against every day. That's his best chance.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Everyone talks about how he had success in college because he was sooooo wide open.

His difficulties in the pros have been dropping balls when he was also sooooo wide open.

He wasn't dropping passes in traffic or while getting hit. There was no one within 5 yards of him when he dropped those balls.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Everyone talks about how he had success in college because he was sooooo wide open.

His difficulties in the pros have been dropping balls when he was also sooooo wide open.

He wasn't dropping passes in traffic or while getting hit. There was no one within 5 yards of him when he dropped those balls.
    It's not physical... it's mental and there are plenty of reports on Sweed dropping balls in college and having problems with concentration.

I doubt he makes an impact with us... but I wish him the best.

Ben210

His ability to get sooooo wide open is encouraging.

Benchwarmer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

It's not physical... it's mental and there are plenty of reports on Sweed dropping balls in college and having problems with concentration.

Ditto...maybe he should go see a shrink

Quote Originally Posted by MadSteel

Ditto...maybe he should go see a shrink

I would suspect he's seen a shrink more than a few times trying to overcome his bout with severe depression.

Severe depression for Limas Sweed?

March 11, 2010

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the "illness" that landed Limas Sweed on injured reserve late last season is speculated to be severe depression.

The Steelers have been tight-lipped on Sweed's status, labeling it only a "personal issue." Sweed hasn't rebounded since getting off on the wrong foot in Pittsburgh. He's in dire need of a fresh start elsewhere.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35818690/ ... layer_news

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    "I find it hard to believe that the guy who is making almost every catch in this video with his hands has a propensity to allow the ball to get into his body. Sweed either high points every catch, snatches the ball out of the air with his hands or one hands the catch and there's one all hands catch with the defender is interfering by hanging on him.

I don't know if he'll ever be anything in the NFL or not, but his hands won't be what holds him back, IMO. There are some sick catches in this video.

Pappy"

Well, he had ALOT of time and space in most of those plays. It was college, so the level of comp was lower and many of those CBs were alone with teams fearing VY. He had ALOT of space to make moves in those clips. He highpointed like Burress did. Let his feet fall and reached up, but that's enough when 6'4 sometimes. Also, those were 'highlights' and even some of those showed his patented stone hands to slow the ball down to catch it on the bounce. And VY was a SOOOOFFTTT thrower. Easy to catch with hands. Speed up those passes, embarrass yourself in practice and lose confidence for game day. We can't keep holding onto guys with 'potential' for 5 years. If he goes elsewhere and has some solid career, so be it. We can't wait for ten years. Maybe he needs a new address where he isn't shamed every day in practice. Which team has the worst CBs to go against every day. That's his best chance.
    I'm not sure where the "shamed in practice" comes from. By all accounts until he ruptured the achilles he was having a very good camp. People are talking like he was a slacker and didn't want to work. There was never a report written (that I know of) about him that said he didn't want to put in the effort necessary to get better.

Like I said, I have no idea if he'll ever make it in the NFL, if he'll be average or if he'll be great, no one will know until he's out there playing. He has one year left on his contract it would be foolish not to have him in camp and competing.

I'd rather have Sweed on the team right now than a slow, unable to get open Randle El or Arnaz Battle.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned
    I'd love to see Sweed contribute this season as well, however, how many solid NFL WR's spent their first 3 seasons in the league doing absolutely nothing before breaking out in their 4th year? It can't be too many.
    hines didnt exactly light the world on fire early on

maybe not 4 years into their careers but these guys came on after getting some experience
    miles austin?
    welker?
    sid rice

Hall of Famer

think i remember reading he first starting wearing contact lenses after he became a steeler.

that could explain some of his past troubles

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned
    I'd love to see Sweed contribute this season as well, however, how many solid NFL WR's spent their first 3 seasons in the league doing absolutely nothing before breaking out in their 4th year? It can't be too many.
    hines didnt exactly light the world on fire early on
    Maybe so but Hines Ward was still a solid contributer in his first three seasons with 124 catches for 1,556yds. Compare that to Sweed's 7 catches for 69 yds in his first three seasons and it's pretty obvious that those two players are/were on completely different career paths.