Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art II: "I don't like it being called "The Steelers Rule"

Legend

Re: Art II: "I don't like it being called "The Steelers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    The new rules clearly target the Steelers and any other teams that aim to field a punishing defense. It appears the NFL wants to eliminate low-scoring games and have offensive shootouts instead. The Steelers will be forced to make great changes, not only in the way they play, but in the way they put a team together via the draft and free agency.

Rooney doesn't like it being called "the Steelers rule"? Maybe he would prefer to call it
    "the Patriots rule," because it looks like it's custom-made to reward the way Belicheat and Co. operate.
    You hit the nail on the head B! The league loves the scoring and the majority of the NFL fans do too. We are viewed as the minority who have been raised on a culture of tough, unrelenting defense.

So the options are:

A-Continue to have your star players spout off at the mouth and establish your franchise as the dissidents and malcontents in the eyes of the people who run the NFL and referee games. Or

B-Beat the bastards at their own game and put together exactly the type of offense they are demanding. We have the franchise QB that 20-24 other NFL teams don't have. We have talent at the key skill positions on the offense.

While we may not like it, IMO Option "B" is the only one that will bear long term benefits. All the complaining will do is to sensitize the referees that the Steelers are going to throw this in our face and they will respond in a manner like we saw last season.

Sometimes the best defense is not to dig in and die in place but to reposition, gain positional advantage and counterattack where the enemy least expects it. We have a choice, refight the Alamo or refight Washington's Crossing of the Delaware and his winter victories. For those with a history deficit the latter turned out better for the good guys.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

These new rules will fundamentally change the game. When defenses are tough, scoring a touchdown means something. When defenses have been emasculated, scoring a touchdown means little. Though the league may think these changes will increase their fan base, ultimately they will destroy the integrity of the game. We already have the friggin' NBA. I don't know if Hines Ward was joking when he said it, but I think he's right--if they're going to stay on this course, the NFL might as well turn into a flag football league.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    The new rules clearly target the Steelers and any other teams that aim to field a punishing defense. It appears the NFL wants to eliminate low-scoring games and have offensive shootouts instead. The Steelers will be forced to make great changes, not only in the way they play, but in the way they put a team together via the draft and free agency.

Rooney doesn't like it being called "the Steelers rule"? Maybe he would prefer to call it
    "the Patriots rule," because it looks like it's custom-made to reward the way Belicheat and Co. operate.
    You hit the nail on the head B! The league loves the scoring and the majority of the NFL fans do too. We are viewed as the minority who have been raised on a culture of tough, unrelenting defense.

So the options are:

A-Continue to have your star players spout off at the mouth and establish your franchise as the dissidents and malcontents in the eyes of the people who run the NFL and referee games. Or

B-Beat the bastards at their own game and put together exactly the type of offense they are demanding. We have the franchise QB that 20-24 other NFL teams don't have. We have talent at the key skill positions on the offense.

While we may not like it, IMO Option "B" is the only one that will bear long term benefits. All the complaining will do is to sensitize the referees that the Steelers are going to throw this in our face and they will respond in a manner like we saw last season.
    What about option "C", both of the above? I don't see how we couldn't do both. They don't seem to be mutually exclusive.

Dan Rooney says league isn’t singling out Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2011

Despite the outcome of Super Bowl XL and the league office’s decision to allow the Rooneys to remain in clear violation of the NFL’s anti-gambling policies for months while the ownership situation was straightened out, many Steelers fans (and a few Steelers players) think that the powers-that-be are picking on the Pittsburgh team when it comes to hits on defenseless receivers.

Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney disagrees.

‘I don’t think [the NFL is] calling it the ‘Steelers Rule;’ I think the press is,” Rooney said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It’s just one of those things where you have to play and just do what you have to do.”

That said, Dan Rooney doesn’t think expansion of the protections applied to pass-catches is necessary. “I think there’s too many things involved to have that rule,” Rooney said while attending the unveiling of the team’s 2010 highlight video at Heinz Field.

That’s fine, but the rule changes passed unanimously last month. Which means that the Steelers and every other team voted for the changes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/

Hall of Famer

in the midst of a lockout, do you really think the owners are going to do ANYTHING that isn't unanimous?
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu