Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starkey: James Harrison should quit complaining

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Starkey: James Harrison should quit complaining

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Also means that a player can take a "dive" or overly dramatize a hit and they have a better chance of getting a penalty flag thrown.
    pretty soon the NFL will be like that other "futbol" game...

Hey at least Ray Lewis can fit in... He dives on all the time like that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Umpire Joe West, the president of the World Umpires Association who was feet away from the impact that sidelined Posey, assures it's only part of the game -- "just as much as apple pie."

"I can't tell you I would change anything, It's one of those things that's part of baseball, just as much as apple pie. You can't change the rules because it's been that way forever."

West said a key part of the play had been missed in the aftermath.

"What they're failing to look at is that (Posey) dropped the ball before the guy got there," West said. "That's why he was in a vulnerable position. That's why he was trying to find the ball. If he had caught the ball, he could have got his hands up and he could have defended himself. He could have absorbed the blow with both arms and his glove.

"It's like a receiver going over the middle in football. If he bobbles the ball a couple of times, the linebacker is going to kill him."
    Maybe the NFL needs to be more like the MLB afterall...
    When is the last time you had a slice of apple pie at a baseball game?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Are the Steelers being "targeted" by the NFL?

Of course they are--and it's bad for football.

by Matt Bowen
    JUNE 05, 2011

Let’s get right to the point on this Sunday afternoon: the NFL is targeting the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. That is going to happen when you consistently finish off wide receivers and play with an intimidating style when the football is in the air.

And the new proposed rule changes for illegal hits are bad for NFL football—especially defenses that play with “controlled violence.”

Ryan Clark and the rest of the Steelers defense will come to hit on Sundays.

I understand that Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has tried to slow down the idea that his club is the reason for the proposed rule that would impose fines (and possible lost draft picks) to an organization for repeated illegal hits.

But we should all see what is going on here with the league office and their threats to clean up Sunday afternoons as it applies to Pittsburgh. Use them as a model—or example—of what not to do with your headgear and shoulder pads on game day.

However, the Steelers style of play is the exact reason I look at them as a coach’s dream.

Beyond the X’s and Os of coordinator Dick LeBeau (that are still copied throughout the league) and the talent, I see a unit that plays with an attitude. That shows up on tape in every film room across the NFL and it forces offensive players to think twice about going across the middle of the field.

You are going to get hit when you play the Steelers. Harrison, Woodley, Clark, Polamalu, etc. Just a few of the names on this defense that come to the stadium ready to play physical football.

I’m not trying to stand behind cheap shots and intentional hits that are aimed to hurt an opposing player. Instead, this is about good, clean football. But with that comes some helmet-to-helmet contact and big hits that the league is trying to shut down. And there is no real way to fix that with the speed of the game.

But forcing a rule change because of the style of a defense isn’t the right way to do it. Don’t force a team to pullback when they are about to lower their pads on contact. Because it is part of the reason the Steelers are consistently one of the best units in the NFL.

Follow me on Twitter: MattBowen41

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are-the-Steelers-being-targeted-by-the-NFL.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are ... e-NFL.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Are the Steelers being "targeted" by the NFL?

Of course they are--and it's bad for football.

by Matt Bowen
    JUNE 05, 2011

Let’s get right to the point on this Sunday afternoon: the NFL is targeting the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. That is going to happen when you consistently finish off wide receivers and play with an intimidating style when the football is in the air.

And the new proposed rule changes for illegal hits are bad for NFL football—especially defenses that play with “controlled violence.”

Ryan Clark and the rest of the Steelers defense will come to hit on Sundays.

I understand that Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has tried to slow down the idea that his club is the reason for the proposed rule that would impose fines (and possible lost draft picks) to an organization for repeated illegal hits.

But we should all see what is going on here with the league office and their threats to clean up Sunday afternoons as it applies to Pittsburgh. Use them as a model—or example—of what not to do with your headgear and shoulder pads on game day.

However, the Steelers style of play is the exact reason I look at them as a coach’s dream.

Beyond the X’s and Os of coordinator bad word LeBeau (that are still copied throughout the league) and the talent, I see a unit that plays with an attitude. That shows up on tape in every film room across the NFL and it forces offensive players to think twice about going across the middle of the field.

You are going to get hit when you play the Steelers. Harrison, Woodley, Clark, Polamalu, etc. Just a few of the names on this defense that come to the stadium ready to play physical football.

I’m not trying to stand behind cheap shots and intentional hits that are aimed to hurt an opposing player. Instead, this is about good, clean football. But with that comes some helmet-to-helmet contact and big hits that the league is trying to shut down. And there is no real way to fix that with the speed of the game.

But forcing a rule change because of the style of a defense isn’t the right way to do it. Don’t force a team to pullback when they are about to lower their pads on contact. Because it is part of the reason the Steelers are consistently one of the best units in the NFL.

Follow me on Twitter: MattBowen41

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are-the-Steelers-being-targeted-by-the-NFL.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are ... e-NFL.html[/url]
    Of course we are but why give them the satisfaction by complaining. Adjust, move on and beat them at their own game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"