Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starkey: James Harrison should quit complaining

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Starkey: James Harrison should quit complaining

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    He also made no mention of the unwarranted 6 game suspension of our qb. If there was ever team being targeted it was us. How much you think Harrison wold get fined if he broke Flacco's nose?
    If Harrison is able to separate Flacco's unibrow into two distinct eyebrows, Flacco should pay him...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Cook: Harrison's remarks out of line

Friday, May 27, 2011
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall tweeted earlier this month that it's wrong to celebrate the death of another human being, even Osama bin Laden. That's OK. We live in America. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinions, even an NFL player.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison tweeted Wednesday that the people who make the rules in the NFL are "idiots" and said league officials are targeting the Steelers with their tougher player-safety rules. That's unacceptable. Forget freedom of speech in this case. Harrison, in essence, called his boss -- Steelers president Art Rooney II -- an "idiot" because Rooney voted for the rules changes. Beyond that, he violated the Mike Tomlin rule. "I'm not opposed to guys tweeting or facebooking or whatever they do," the coach has said. "Just don't tweet about my business."

I have no problem with Mendenhall's tweet.

I have a big problem with Harrison's.

For one thing, Harrison was wrong about the NFL targeting the Steelers. They weren't targeted last season when the St. Louis Rams led the league in penalties with 126 and the Steelers ranked 24th with 86, and the Oakland Raiders led in penalty yards with 1,161 and the Steelers were 25th with 716. The Steelers made it to the Super Bowl, which wouldn't have happened if the NFL had some sort of conspiracy against them. The Steelers also aren't being targeted now. The tougher rules are for the safety of all the players, including Harrison and his teammates. Sometimes, players need to be protected from themselves.

It also was incredibly arrogant on Harrison's part to suggest the new, more stringent rules are designed to take some of the toughness out of the Steelers' defense. He wasn't alone there. Teammate LaMarr Woodley tweeted, "lol im sorry that im not sorry we hit 2 hard." Like the Steelers are the only defense that hits hard? Try selling that opinion in Baltimore. Or New York. Or a lot of other NFL cities. Certainly, the Steelers' defense wasn't all that tough and intimidating against the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV, was it?

In a way, it's understandable why Harrison feels targeted by the NFL office. He was fined $100,000 last season for what the league determined were dirty hits, more than any player. But Harrison needs to look in the mirror once in awhile. Maybe the reason he was fined so much is that he didn't play by the rules. Of course, blaming commissioner Roger Goodell and discipline czars Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks -- "who I now have absolutely no respect for," Harrison blogged Thursday -- is so much easier than blaming himself.

"I guess the NFL needed a poster child for their campaign," Harrison said in that same blog. "I know there are hits out there that go either way, but if it's me I already know which way they are going to go."

Calling Goodell and the others "idiots" is going to help that situation?

That can't possibly help Harrison and the Steelers.

That's what I mean about him violating the Tomlin rule.

Harrison blogged that he is "all for player safety," but then said later, "I love this game, but I hate what they are trying to turn it into."

Is it just me or is that contradictory?

This is just another case of Harrison overreacting. He did it in October after he was fined $75,000 (later reduced to $50,000) for a hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi when he threatened to quit football. Like he was going to walk away from his $51.75 million contract? Harrison also did it at the Super Bowl when he used his media-day pulpit to mock Goodell. He came across sounding awfully foolish that day, especially when he was asked if he might not think differently about player safety if he's 50 and mentally disabled because of hits to his head that really weren't necessary for him to be known as a fierce player or for him to get that huge contract. "I'm not worried about that," Harrison replied. "It's part of the game. We signed up for this. It's not a touchy, feely game. I've said it many times. I'm willing to go through hell so my kids don't have to."

My guess is that Harrison doesn't feel so strongly about his principles that he will follow through with his retirement threat any time soon. That $51.75 million contract, remember? He will show up at Steelers headquarters, whenever the NFL lockout ends. He then will have two choices: Do a better job of adjusting to the new rules or continue to pay the big fines and, ultimately, be suspended.

Harrison is a tough character, as tough as any player in the NFL. But this is a fight he can't win. The league is too strong. The game is bigger than him, any player or any team.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11147/11 ... z1NWrijM74

Well if the shoe fits

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Sapp on Steelers Harrison and Woodley: 'Maybe they need to leave the game'

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
    May 26, 2011

Deeming their outrage with the NFL's ongoing crackdown on illegal hits "a little misplaced," seven-time Pro Bowl DT Warren Sapp had some pointed advice for Steelers OLBs James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley on Wednesday.

"The players in this game now, we must take care of each other -- that's the biggest thing," Sapp said on NFL Total Access on NFL Network.

Sapp, who has long been unapologetic for the blindside block (then legal, but later outlawed) that resulted in a season-ending pelvic injury to Packers LT Chad Clifton in 2002, nevertheless referenced experiences from his playing days when he says opponents looked out for their compatriots.

"We took care of each other," said Sapp, "and that's what this is all about -- taking care of the game, taking care of each other. And if James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley don't see this, then maybe they need to leave the game. Because the game's gonna be here a long time after you, and it's been here a long time before you. So either get on the train or get off."

Harrison tweeted in reaction to the latest safety rules: "I'm absolutely sure now after this last rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots."

Woodley chimed in with his own thoughts on a SIRIUS NFL Radio interview:

"You know, I think it's so stupid, man. I mean -- it's football. I mean, this is what you signed up for. ... You knew it was gonna be an aggressive game, there's a chance of you getting hurt and, like, having serious injuries. So that's what you signed up for. I think having all the fines and the penalties, it's stupid because it's taking away from the game."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... the-game/1

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Wonder how Starkey would like it if the powers that be changed the rules of journalism so that it was nearly impossible for him to do his job? Betcha he would complain, too.

The more these guys write, the bigger tools they make themselves look like.
    Yeah, at first it's a $100 fine for a dangling participle. Okay. Then $500 for a split infinitive. Ugh. Suddenly, the powers that be go too far and just ban all adjectives. What? Adjectives are a critical part of being able to express the English language in written form. Writing without adjectives would be like football without tackling!

Well, if all you got to dangle is a participle ...
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    He also did that crap all the time to qb's after a turn over. Sapp was a great player and he was nasty. He played within the rules, which partly were changed because of him. For him to say anything on this topic is ridiculous. When Sapp played the games, the rules weren't changed on a weekly basis.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Think about who Loudmouth is getting his paycheck from these days...NFL Network. So really, should there be any surprise about the opinion he is expressing?

Hall of Famer

Think about who Loudmouth is getting his paycheck from these days...NFL Network. So really, should there be any surprise about the opinion he is expressing?
    yea, true. I'm not ripping him or anything. Like I said, he played in a league where the rules didn't change with each game. Hell of a luxury.
    now if Rodney Harrison tried saying something...
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    yea, true. I'm not ripping him or anything. Like I said, he played in a league where the rules didn't change with each game. Hell of a luxury.
    now if Rodney Harrison tried saying something...
    From last season:

http://www.nesn.com/2010/10/rodney-h...-big-hits.html

Rodney Harrison Becomes Ironic Critic of Violent NFL Hits
    by Matt Flores on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:06PM

Dear Rodney Harrison,

Itís always fun watching athletes make the awkward transition from player to in-studio analyst, and it's certainly been no different with you. You were once the biggest badass to step on the football field on Sundays; now you are speaking out against violence in the game?

On NBCís Football Night in America, you spoke as "a player with over $300,000 in fines." You smirked when you said you put $50,000 aside before a season started, just for fines. Then you went on to offer solutions.

Do you really think the guy who just admitted to putting aside money to break the rules should have an impact on new safety rules?

You went on to say that players should be suspended instead of just the $5,000 fine, because the money doesnít matter to them.

There was an overwhelmingly positive response to your comments the next day from the media, but one question remains: How would Harrison the player respond to Harrison the analyst?

I know you are now trying to say the politically correct thing, but donít be a hypocrite.

When referring to your helmet-to-helmet collisions, you said they were "mostly an accident." You made a living by brutally smashing the opposition to pieces, and now that you are done, you think the game needs to be changed.

Several of these "accidents" led to you being voted the dirtiest player in the league by your peers in 2004 and 2006, and the coaches bestowed the dishonor on you in 2008.

You could make a case for yourself that you weren't a dirty player, that you were simply a hard-hitting safety who made players pay for coming over the middle. Still, the perception of you always said otherwise.

The NFL needs a clear stance on this issue because men are getting seriously injured every week.

The change of heart is appreciated, but no one believes it is sincere.

from Deebo's blog:

jharrison9292L - my thoughts

Whatís Really Going On?

May 26, 2011

Itís been weighing heavy on my mind all day, so I figure I might as well just let it out. I want to make it clear that I am all for player safety. I donít disagree with all of the rule changes.

But come onÖREALLY? Now you have to wait until a guy catches, or even worse, you have to let them catch the ball before you can even attempt to tackle him. Along with that, you cannot let any part of your helmet or facemask touch any part of them basically from the chest up. If you are following the letter of the rules exactly, now most tackles, if not ALL tackles can be flagged, fined and/or result in ejection from that game, or future game(s).

I understand the intent behind making the rules, but in their attempt to make the game safer, they are actually clouding what is allowable. Even the referees are confused. A close look will show you that the referees were calling things that were not even supposed to be called, and NOT calling things that were actually illegal.

The decision to call a penalty or impose a fine is seemingly, at least some of the time, dependent upon the uniform and the player. After my meeting this past fall with Roger Goodell, Ray Anderson, and Merton Hanks and some others, who I now have absolutely no respect for (to keep it PG), I definitely believe there is no equality in their enforcement of these rules.

These rules are targeting hard hitting players and defenses i.e. STEELERS. I guess the NFL needed a poster child for their campaign.

The quarterback rule clarification (Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13) is a great change. But thatís just saying ďHey Steelers..by the wayÖBenís nose getting broken last year really did not deserve a penalty.Ē

I know there are hits out there that could go either way, but if itís me I already know which way they are going to go. I love this game, but I hate what they are trying to turn it into.

I wonder why the NFL is suddenly coming down so hard on playerís safety issues. I canít help but think itís not actually for the safety of the players.

http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011 ... -going-on/