Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Offense: Next Season's Starters

Pittsburgh Steelers Offense: Next Season's Starters

this guy is not really going out on a limb here, I personally hope that Kemoeatu and Foster are not our starting guards to begin the season and I've seen enough of David Johnson as well.

Pittsburgh Steelers Offense: The Starters

Posted by Tom Jenkins May 24, 2011

Every year you’ll see teams with different starters across the board, due to scheme changes, retirements, players leaving and just plain under performing athletes. The Pittsburgh Steelers, luckily are NOT one of these teams. The starters from year to year remain fairly constant.

We’re going to take a look at the players that I expect to be starting on week one, without taking into consideration any injuries, because no one can predict those.

We’ll start with the offense and do the defense tomorrow.

QB – #7 Ben Roethlisberger

Easy enough, he won’t be dealing with a suspension this season, and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder, losing your first Super Bowl tends to do that to you after all. Commonly considered one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL today, and being poised to strike into the history books more so than he already has by getting to and winning the big game again expect a big year from the bulky passer.

RB – #34 Rashard Mendenhall

I’ve heard and read some things stating that Mendenhall will be traded, released, etc. because of his comments on Twitter. Let’s put that to rest, it won’t happen. It only happened with Santonio Holmes because he was literally talking about illegal substances, Mendenhall was simply professing a belief he holds that has it’s roots in his fate. And to be honest, a lot worse things have happened because of religious beliefs than a few ill-advised Tweets. He has gotten progressively better every year that he’s been in the league, and Head Coach Mike Tomlin has no plan to lessen the workload placed upon the back.

FB #85 David Johnson

Sure, he’s not an old school type of fullback that’s going to flatten defenders in front of him, but he is a serviceable player at two separate offensive positions with his ability to play both tight end and fullback. I gave him a rather harsh grade on the 2009 NFL Draft Grades, but that was mostly due to the fact that his stats are lethargic at best, even though I should have taken into consideration the fact that he was a 7th round pick. He’s not going anywhere next year, and will more than likely continue to improve.

WR #17 Mike Wallace

This is the year that Mike Wallace succeeds longtime number one option Hines Ward for the Steelers. That’s not knocking Ward either, he’ll likely have a better go against number two corner backs anyway. Wallace and Roethlisberger are becoming one of the NFL’s deadliest duos, with a nearly unparalleled deep threat that ranks among the best in the storied history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is Wallace’s chance to step up and take control of the receiving corps and show Ward that he’s been the best teacher #17 could ask for.

WR #86 Hines Ward

You didn’t think he wouldn’t be starting, did you? Hines Ward is as synonymous with Steelers football as blue collar workers are to the town that the team resides in. The most decorated receiver in Steelers history is back for another Super Bowl run with the team that drafted him (something that not many players can claim) and he’s not going to quit until he has three of those rings on his fingers. Not to mention, he literally just won the 12th season of Dancing With The Stars. He’s just a winner.

TE #83 Heath Miller

Miller is the prototypical tight end, and more importantly, the prototypical Steelers player. Always humble, and always leaving it all on the field I was reading an interview with him a few weeks ago, and saw a story that truly speaks for the kind of player, leader, and man that he is. Apparently while in high school (playing quarterback nonetheless) his receiver caught a pass and was thrown the ground rather roughly, had gotten up and thrown a chunk of dirt at the defender. Back in the huddle, Miller calmly looked at him and told him that if he ever did anything like that again, he was never getting another pass from him. Heath remains one of the most underrated players throughout the league, much like Houston’s Owen Daniels was underrated for years before becoming overrated. He possesses some of the softest hands for a tight end and an uncanny ability to shred zone coverage.

LT #78 Max Starks

A revolving door or not along the offensive line, Starks was one of the more consistent players on the line in the past few years, showing a vast improvement after moving to left tackle years ago. Had he not been placed on injured reserve before last season, he would have started at the position in the season opener. And while the Steelers selected Marcus Gilbert in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft, they may want to allow him some time to learn the position and the offensive scheme, though it wouldn’t be unheard of if Gilbert got some heavy playing time as the year goes on.

LG #68 Chris Kemoeatu

He’s developed into one of the better pulling guards in the league, a far cry from where he started. Though, his pass protection is weak in comparison to most starting guards at the NFL level, he’s serviceable enough to remain the starter for a Steelers offense that has no elite player at the position.

C #53 Maurkice Pouncey

There are two Pouncey’s in the NFL now, but there’s only one in the hearts of Steelers fan. The Pro Bowl rookie center from Florida that reminded fans of the day of Dermontti Dawson. He suffered an injury during the AFC Championship game, missing the Super Bowl and you have to believe that like Roethlisberger he’s going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder. For a player that’s already considered among the best at his position after just one year the fact that the best is yet to come is a blessing to Steelers fans and a curse to their opponents.

RG #73 Ramon Foster

Foster stepped in and performed admirably next to Pouncey and Adams last season, and looks to take control of the position for next season. There will definitely be a heated battle between a quartet of different players during training camp, and without a doubt will be among the most interesting ones to watch when that time comes.

RT #71 Flozell Adams

Adams was a longtime stalwart along the Dallas Cowboys offensive line, failing to start only 14 games since 1998. He’s definitely sliding quickly on the slope towards retirement, but at the moment, the Steelers need him to play this position next year.

He’s not the player that he was for the Cowboys, but he’s still got his noted mean streak and can still be a crushing run blocker. This is likely his last year in the NFL, and he’ll more than likely see Canton in his future.

Remember to check back tomorrow for a look at the projected defensive starters.

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/0 ... /#more-697

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Offense: Next Season's Starters

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    this guy is not really going out on a limb here, I personally hope that Kemoeatu and Foster are not our starting guards to begin the season and I've seen enough of David Johnson as well.
    Those three are all serviceable players and nothing more than that.

WR #17 Mike Wallace

This is the year that Mike Wallace succeeds longtime number one option Hines Ward for the Steelers. That’s not knocking Ward either, he’ll likely have a better go against number two corner backs anyway. Wallace and Roethlisberger are becoming one of the NFL’s deadliest duos, with a nearly unparalleled deep threat that ranks among the best in the storied history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is Wallace’s chance to step up and take control of the receiving corps and show Ward that he’s been the best teacher #17 could ask for.
    I found this part quite amusing. I did not know that offenses get to determine who will cover each receiver, stating that one receiver is #1 and the other #2. I used to find it funny when boards used to have debates over who was the number one receiver - Hines or Plex. Are both receivers not starters?

Do we talk about who our #1 DE is, Smith or Keisel? Our #1 ILB - Timmons or Farrior?

One WR is our deep threat, the other our possession receiver. Both start, isn't that enough?

Or maybe I am just nit picking.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    WR #17 Mike Wallace

I found this part quite amusing. I did not know that offenses get to determine who will cover each receiver, stating that one receiver is #1 and the other #2. I used to find it funny when boards used to have debates over who was the number one receiver - Hines or Plex. Are both receivers not starters?

Do we talk about who our #1 DE is, Smith or Keisel? Our #1 ILB - Timmons or Farrior?

One WR is our deep threat, the other our possession receiver. Both start, isn't that enough?

I get what you are saying about both wideouts being starters, and we need not delineate into a #1 WR and a #2 WR. Even so, why would the author suggest that this is the year that Wallace surpasses Ward? Wouldn't that have been last year? Isn't 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 touchdowns substantially better than 59 catches for 755 yards and 5 touchdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    WR #17 Mike Wallace

I get what you are saying about both wideouts being starters, and we need not delineate into a #1 WR and a #2 WR. Even so, why would the author suggest that this is the year that Wallace surpasses Ward? Wouldn't that have been last year? Isn't 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 touchdowns substantially better than 59 catches for 755 yards and 5 touchdowns?
    I know....and regardless of who gets the label of number 1or number 2, one is a possession receiver while the other is a speedster. They run different routes. I would think that the D plays them more based on their styles than by saying "okay, this year who is their number 1 receiver?"

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    WR #17 Mike Wallace

what he's saying is the defense will view wallace as the #1 and put their #1 guy on him. that will give ward a better match up against the defenses number 2.
    about the surpassing part.. many times the #2 guy will have more catches then the #1. think of Wes Welker and Randy Moss. Moss was definitely the #1 guy but he had a lot fewer catches. statistically he surpassed moss, but in reality, Moss was still going to get the #1 corner because he's more dangerous. Last year, teams knew that Wallace was not as well rounded of a player as he will be next year.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

I wouldn't count out Gilbert starting in the place of Foster by mid season. But the lockout as hurt his chances big time.

As for DJ starting, I see us going into more a spread formation or the bannana set, with 3 wr, rather than a 2 te set. With how our WR are trained to block, they can hold their own. In addition, the WR set will spread out the D to create more running holes.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    I wouldn't count out Gilbert starting in the place of Foster by mid season. But the lockout as hurt his chances big time.

As for DJ starting, I see us going into more a spread formation or the bannana set, with 3 wr, rather than a 2 te set. With how our WR are trained to block, they can hold their own. In addition, the WR set will spread out the D to create more running holes.
    Arians supposed had planned to run a bunch of the spread in the Super Bowl, but when Manny Sanders went down with an injury, that pretty much put the kibosh on those plans.

Pittsburgh Steelers Offense: The Backups

Posted by Tom Jenkins June 2, 2011

In the NFL today, having depth is absolutely key to making a run deep into the playoffs, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are no strangers to those late winter games. On both sides of the ball, the team is graced by players who can step into a spot vacated by an injured starter and perform very well. Let’s take a look at the backups at every position on the offense.

QB – #4 Byron Leftwich
    Leftwich has been buffeted around the NFL over the past couple of years, and will never be a starting quarterback in the NFL for the long-term, but he is a very serviceable backup with game experience in a multitude of situations. He won’t wow you with his arm and definitely won’t with his legs, but he can make the throws needed to move the Steelers offense down the field.

Leftwich will likely have a training camp battle with Charlie Batch for the right to back up Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger.

RB – #33 Isaac Redman
    Redman is a short, stocky back that you’d expect to excel in short yardage situations, but his real claim to fame during his tenure with the Steelers has been his receiving capabilities. He’s failed to get into the endzone via the ground game, but has found it twice through the air, including an exciting catch against AFC North divisional foes the Baltimore Ravens last season, during which he made multiple defenders miss and crossed the plane for the winning touchdown.

Mewelde Moore and rookie Baron Batch could also challenge for this spot, but figure to be in the mix for the third down back position on the depth chart. Moore has yet to be re-signed by the club, and may not be back at all, pending Batch’s progression.

FB – #64 Doug Legursky
    Legursky is an offensive lineman, who has, at times, lined up at the fullback situation in order to generate a push that David Johnson couldn’t provide. The Steelers aren’t a team to use a traditional fullback in a lot of formations, so they use what they’ve got to get by.

Matt Spaeth may also get a chance to line up here, along with Isaac Redman in certain situations.

WR – #88 Emmanuel Sanders
    Sanders came on strong in his rookie season, really maturing during the end of the season and into the playoffs. He caught for nearly 400 yards in a limited capacity, and looks to strengthen his role in the offense this coming season.

WR – #84 Antonio Brown
    Like Sanders, Brown came into his own during the end of his rookie campaign, also bringing a return ability to the table for the team. He and Sanders match up well with each other, and it will be fun watching them jostle for the number three receiver job next year.

TE – #89 Matt Spaeth
    Spaeth had a great rookie season in 2007, with three of his five catches turning into touchdowns and giving Steelers fans excitement heading into the 2008 season. Since that rookie season, however, he has yet to duplicate those results and finds himself in a blocking capacity when he’s on the field.

He had a chance to shine during the games that Heath Miller missed last year due to injury and couldn’t get it done, drawing the ire of Steelers fans because of a dropped touchdown, and just sloppy play.

LT – #72 Jonathan Scott
    Scott filled in very well last year, starting nine games during the regular season, and seemed to be a very comfortable fit at the left tackle position. He’s not going to the Pro Bowl anytime soon, but neither is the man in front of him, and is an adequate backup at left tackle.

LG – #62 Keith Williams
    Both guard spots are up for grabs at every position, and as an added roulette slot, if the Steelers re-sign Willie Colon and move him to guard, it will shake things up more than ever. Williams looks to be the main backup at both guard spots, but it could also be Legursky here as well as at center.

C – #64 Doug Legursky
    Legursky showed that he can step in and play well in the absence of Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey, and will retain the backup center spot in the meantime, as well as being in contention for the backup at either guard and fullback. Very versatile player the Steelers have in Legursky.

RG – #62 Keith Williams
    As above, Williams and Legursky are going to be the ones coming in if something happens to one of the starting guards.

RT – #65 Marcus Gilbert
    Gilbert has the potential to be the future at virtually any spot on the Steelers offensive line besides center, he brings an added cohesiveness beside Pouncey, playing on the same line at Florida. The best case scenario is that he gets to learn from one of the great tackles of this generation in Flozell Adams and develop his potential into a solid contribution.

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/0 ... kups.html/

Leftwich won’t wow you with his arm and definitely won’t with his legs. Seriously? Dude's got a cannon for an arm. People complain about him rifling the ball all the time, even when he'd be better off with a little touch. He's basically Ryan Mallett without the baggage (both have big time arms, but both are also as slow as molasses athletically).

Ike Redman is not short and stocky. He's 6 foot tall, which is certainly above average height for RB's (the vast majority of RB's are under 6 feet).

I doubt that the rookie linemen dress on gameday (particularly since we are in the midst of a lockout, which is preventing them from learning the playbook at all since being drafted). Besides, we typically dress 7 OL on gameday...the 5 starters and 1 swing C/G and 1 swing T/G. Those 7 will likely be Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Adams, Legursky, and Colon (if he's here...Jon Scott if he's not). The rooks will have a redshirt year, unless injuries strike hard.