Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 100 Players of 2011

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Top 100 Players of 2011

Monday, May 09, 2011

Only 4 Steelers Make NFL Network Top 100 Players Of 2011 List

Now that the 2011 NFL Draft is complete, the NFL Network has begun their Top 100 Players of 2011 series. The top list is being billed as the first-ever countdown of the 100 Best NFL players of today, as voted on by fellow NFL players. If you were hoping for several Steelers players to make the top 100 list, you will be surely disappointed. Last night it was revealed by Lindsay Soto, Brian Baldinger and Charles Davis that only four Steelers players made the top 100 list.

In the episode last night that featured players ranked 81st to 90th, it was announced that Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley came in 82nd. With Woodley now out of the way, it is not very hard to figure out who the remaining three Steelers players will be and all three analyst pretty much agreed it would be Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison. It would surprise me as well if those three were not it.

I think you could make a solid argument that Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace should have made the top 100 especially if Buccaneers receiver Mike Williams can crack the list as the 83rd best player. Wallace may have had 5 less regular season receptions and 1 less touchdown than Williams, but Wallace finished with nearly 300 more reception yards than Williams and averaged 6.2 more yards a catch in addition. Wallace played a huge role in the Steelers offense last year as he filled the void perfectly left by Santonio Holmes, who was traded last offseason. Without the play of Wallace, the Steelers surely would have not made it to the Super Bowl last year.

Three other Steelers player you could debate that should be on the list are linebacker Lawrence Timmons, running back Rashard Mendenhall and center Maurkice Pouncey, but I do admit you better make a pretty good argument for the two latter players.

Timmons was everywhere in 2010 for the Steelers and finished 8th in the league in total tackles. He also chipped in 3 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 9 defensed passes. He was always around the ball game-in and game-out. 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis will surely make the top 100 and so too should have Timmons in my opinion.

As I mentioned, Mendenhall and Pouncey are tougher arguments to make. Mendenhall finished the 2010 season with 1,440 all-purpose yards and 13 touchdowns, but did this behind an offensive line that stayed in flux for most of the season. The anchor of that line was Pouncey, a rookie center that earned Pro Bowl honors after an impressive first year in the NFL.

While Pouncey was not dominating in every game, he certainly was the best offensive lineman the Steelers had in 2010 and it is hard to imagine the Steelers making a deep playoff run without him.

Back to Woodley now, as I was a bit shocked to see him get ranked so low on the list and both Baldinger and Davis agreed in their remarks. Woodley, like Harrison, is a premier outside linebacker in the league and ranking him that low is in insult. Another 30 spots up the list is not out of the question and you have to wonder what the players were thinking that ranked him so terribly low.

It will likely be a long wait until the countdown gets to Polamalu, Roethlisberger and Harrison. All three could easily wind up in the top 25 and Polamalu might be a top 10 recipient as he is well respected by the players around the league for his play. These countdowns and list are what will fuel the offseason debates until the lockout is lifted and I am sure there will be quite a few head-scratchers moving forward from 81.

Below is the list so far following the Sunday night episode:

81. B.J. Raji, NT, Packers
    82. LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Steelers
    83. Mike Williams, WR, Buccaneers
    84. Josh Cribbs, KR/WR, Browns
    85. Jason Babin, DE, Titans
    86. Josh Freeman, QB, Buccaneers
    87. Jordan Gross, T, Panthers
    88. Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers
    89. Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals
    90. Joe Flacco, QB, Ravens
    91. Terrell Owens, WR, Bengals
    92. Lance Briggs, OLB, Bears
    93. Eric Berry, S, Chiefs
    94. Frank Gore, RB, 49ers
    95. Jon Beason, MLB, Panthers
    96. Nick Collins, S, Packers
    97. Shaun Phillips, OLB, Chargers
    98. Darren McFadden, RB, Raiders
    99. Chad Clifton, T, Packers
    100. Donovan McNabb, QB, Redskins

[url="http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/only-4-steelers-make-nfl-network-top-100-players-of-2011-list/"]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/05/on ... 2011-list/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that while Top 100 sounds like a lot of players, it really only represents about 6% of the players in the league.

Also keep in mind that each player only plays against 13 out of the 31 other teams each year - and for 10 of those teams only once. So the argument that the players are the best judges because they see each other face to face is wrong.

Most of the players that they form an opinion on are done by watching them on Sportscenter - not even live games because they are playing when their peers are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Keep in mind that while Top 100 sounds like a lot of players, it really only represents about 6% of the players in the league.

Also keep in mind that each player only plays against 13 out of the 31 other teams each year - and for 10 of those teams only once. So the argument that the players are the best judges because they see each other face to face is wrong.

Most of the players that they form an opinion on are done by watching them on Sportscenter - not even live games because they are playing when their peers are.
    That's a very good point. I wonder if they only allowed players to vote for other players in which the two teams actually played a game? Probably not, but it might have been a better way for the players to vote.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

I know this much. There are more than 4 Steelers that are better than Joe Flacco.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    I think you could make a solid argument that Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace should have made the top 100 especially if Buccaneers receiver Mike Williams can crack the list as the 83rd best player. Wallace may have had 5 less regular season receptions and 1 less touchdown than Williams, but Wallace finished with nearly 300 more reception yards than Williams and averaged 6.2 more yards a catch in addition. Wallace played a huge role in the Steelers offense last year as he filled the void perfectly left by Santonio Holmes, who was traded last offseason. Without the play of Wallace, the Steelers surely would have not made it to the Super Bowl last year.
    I came on here, becuase I just saw this (episode). I wouldn't take both Mike Williams' over Mike Wallace.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

No Steelers on last night. I don't expect to see another of our players for at least 3 weeks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    No Steelers on last night. I don't expect to see another of our players for at least 3 weeks.
    Yea, because the ones that are left have to be top thirty. It would be difficult to name 27 players better than Ben, Troy and James. Ben will probably be the next Steeler to make the list that's how good James and Troy right now.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

This is just another in a long line of ESPN garbage.

Brady will be #1, Manning in the top 3 (even though it's top 100 from last year...and Christ, McNabb made it) and Ben will once again, be under-rated and under appreciated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsSteeler

Brady will be #1, Manning in the top 3 (even though it's top 100 from last year...and Christ, McNabb made it) and Ben will once again, be under-rated and under appreciated.
    NFL Network garbage, not ESPN garbage.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsSteeler

NFL Network garbage, not ESPN garbage.
    Look at the name. In the "Backwoods" you don't got that NFL network stuff.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher