Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should have traded all our picks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should have traded all our picks.

We should have only had a few picks this year. The reason is that most will be lost when they get to the Steelers this year. Since we are in Super Bowl mode, we won't be keeping alot of projects and most draftees this year will fall into that category. So veterans we might consider dumping will be more valuable this season. So we should have loaded up on picks next year and just keep more veterans this year.
    I mean there is some potential with alot of these players, but they will rot on the bench or make costly mistakes this season if forced to play.

Even if we would have traded a late 4th for a 5th, we would have been better off next year. Or even dumping those late round flier picks to move up. We could have maybe had a couple 2nd or 3rd rounders instead of 8 draftees most of which will need to be cut.

Anyway that's my thinking. It just seems like a wasted year for most draftees, even the top ones. Those first minicamps and such are so valuable for rookies that many won't ever catch up and will end up on the trash heap or Cleveland.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Should have traded all our picks.

If im not mistaken - I believe we drafted all 4 year players this year.. I wonder if this logic had something to do with that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

posts like these make me really glad none of you work in the FO.

the draft is about the future. always has been.

Legend

User Info Menu

You'll have guys like Anthony Madison, Arnaz Battle, Tony Hills, Keyaron Fox, Will Allen, William Gay, and Mewelde Moore who may not be brought back, and we'll plug in rookies to fill those roster spots. Are we less of a Super Bowl team next year by dropping some dead weight like that in exchange for hungry, young players?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    You'll have guys like Anthony Madison, Arnaz Battle, Tony Hills, Keyaron Fox, Will Allen, William Gay, and Mewelde Moore who may not be brought back, and we'll plug in rookies to fill those roster spots. Are we less of a Super Bowl team next year by dropping some dead weight like that in exchange for hungry, young players?

hungry, young, and CHEAPER players!

the Steelers absolutely have to drop players like El and Battle and Fox and pick up the young guys, because that is the only way to sign the truly special players on the team to the contracts they will want to keep them here.

Lose the rookies, aka..cheap role players, and you lose Woodley. You lose Ike. You lose Timmons. You lose Wallace. You lose Mendenhall.

Etc, etc, etc.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some of this makes sense. Some I'm not so sure.
    You drop all that 'dead weight' and you will see a significant drop in ST play at least. You rely on too many rookie backups on D that have had little exposure to what we do and we give up ALOT more points. These kids will be horribly lost early on. Some are marginal players at best, which is normal in any draft as it progresses.

Cheap is the best answer. Hungry is not. They will be doe-eyed come game day cause they will be lost.

I dare say that this will be our least effective draft outside of forcing Gilbert and Heywood onto the roster. Heywood should be fine over time as he will be given time. Gilbert will be given time and hopefully he can make up some ground and be productive. I was lukewarm on him to begin with though as stated, I am not a GM. Though to be far, GMs make mistakes too. The rest won't touch the field and I bet half (or more) are cut from the opening day roster. Which goes back to my original idea of dropping these picks to next years draft. There would have been suitors. We wouldn't lose the picks, they would be bumped a year. Then packaged together we could have moved up.

Many gurus have said this was the league's worst draft in 10 years. Next year's may be top since alot of kids stayed an extra year. Wouldn't it be nice to be loaded to bear for next year's draft. We could move up aggressively in a good draft. Ah well, it isn't to be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Traded all our picks? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Traded all our picks? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not including the top 2 picks as I've stated. Let's see how the rest fare. We could have taken 2 other rooks, but 8 is a waste in this draft with no teaching time. So maybe we take 4 rookies from this draft. Bump 4 picks to next year.

This is a weak draft, next is tight.

Next year if we could have a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6ths and two 7ths, we would be FAAAR better off. We could move more freely up in the draft.

We can revisit this option on cut day this year and next.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Not including the top 2 picks as I've stated. Let's see how the rest fare. We could have taken 2 other rooks, but 8 is a waste in this draft with no teaching time. So maybe we take 4 rookies from this draft. Bump 4 picks to next year.

This is a weak draft, next is tight.

Next year if we could have a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, two 6ths and two 7ths, we would be FAAAR better off. We could move more freely up in the draft.

We can revisit this option on cut day this year and next.
    Check the thread I just posted. I'll put my money down that all 7 guys make the team, unless beat out by an UDFA or an unseen FA signing.