Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade our draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Grade our draft

Just a word of note to those who take this stuff a little too seriously...this is just for fun. Few if any of us really know what we are talking about, and yes it's so premature it's almost ridiculous. With that now said, let your opinions on the draft be known here.

1) Cameron Heyward, late in his senior season I didn't really know what happened to him. The guy I had seen his junior season was a very special player...the kind that have not often graced the field at OSU. In my opinion, after his junior season he is a top 15 pick. So what happened? I believe teams geared to stop him as he became such a disruptive force. His game with Arkansas won me back over. Colbert considered him one of the top 20 special talents in this draft. He was the best pick in this position,

Grade: A

2) Marcus Gilbert-this is a draft pick that is intriguing. From what I have seen and what I am reading he seems to have all the tools but yet doesn't seem to always put it together. I have heard lacks a mean streak and doesn't play up to his size. But, the guy moves well for his size and seems to like the right side of the OL. I think the Steelers FO seen talent that can't be taught and problems that can be corrected. His buddy Pouncey should be a huge help in his growth. I think there was much better value at this point in the draft but he could pan out to be a solid RT with proper coaching.

Grade: C

3) Curtis Brown...not sure about all the Townsend comparisons. Brown is the more athletic of the two. But, if Brown turns out to be a solid to terrific #2 I'll be happy. I like what I am reading...seems to have the tools to be a very good starter. In round 3, I think the guy was a good value.

Grade: B+

4) Cortez Allen...I would have rather had DJ Williams and grabbed Torrence later in the draft. But, the kid seems to have a very good upside. He will take time in transition...maybe 3 years. But, not a bad shot in the 4th.

Grade: B

5) Chris Carter...a bit smaller than the Steelers generally like but he sounds like he could turn out to be a terrific blitzing OLB while other parts of his game seem to need work. Should provide depth...not sure about his ability to ever start...or our need for him to ever start. We did need OLB depth so I am ok with this pick in 5.

Grade B

6) Keith Williams...first head scratcher of the day. Another run blocking OG who can probably never be a quality starter? I thought we had plenty of those. You either go Guard early or you don't go Guard at all.

Grade: D

7) Baron Batch...good character man with good hands and the ability to replace the more expensive vets. Sounds good to me.

Grade: B+

Overall: B+, the Steeler addressed needs but I believe they only drafted one game changer. I don't see many guys who I think have the "it factor". But, I do see some guys who could be very solid starters and right now that is better than what we have in our secondary.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Grade our draft

I think that is a very accurate grade. B to B+
    1/28-Rashaan Evans=ILB-Alabama
    2/60-Jessie Bates-S-Wake Forrest
    3/92-Dorrance Armstrong-OLB-Kansas
    5/148-Bo Scarbrough-RB-Alabama
    5/165-Jack Cichy-ILB-Wisconsin
    7/220-Jeff Badet-WR-Oklahoma
    7/246-Steven Parker-S-Oklahoma

Legend

User Info Menu

1) Cameron Heyward - B+

2) Marcus Gilbert - C

3) Curtis Brown - A+

4) Cortez Allen - A+

5) Chris Carter - A+

6) Keith Williams - C

7) Baron Batch - A+

Overall solid A for now. We'll have to see how this plays out over the years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DJ johnson? or did you mean DJ williams

edit...google dj johnson and he's already on the team, apparently our 3rd TE also goes by DJ too

Starter

User Info Menu

Grade is an easy A-

I love the thread starter who said,,,you either take a Guard early, or you don't take one at all. That's interesting considering that of the 64 starting Guards in the league right now, 27 of them were drafted after the 5th round.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan
    Grade is an easy A-

I love the thread starter who said,,,you either take a Guard early, or you don't take one at all. That's interesting considering that of the 64 starting Guards in the league right now, 27 of them were drafted after the 5th round.
    I believe that was to be that the Pittsburgh Steelers as they stood entering the draft needed a guard early or not at all.

Kemo and the other guys are all late round talent types. We needed to upgrade them. We did not need to add more of the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am the least knowledgeable draft guy on this board, but I do like what I see from this year.

A to A- IMO.

Another solid showing by our GM.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully, a year from now we're all rating this draft an A+.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Though I didn't like the Williams pick, he does make only the 2nd NATURAL guard that we have. He's not a conversion project. he's been playing guard his whole life. That's infinitely better then anyone who was moved there from tackle.

Backup

User Info Menu

A-/B+

Great effort for their circumstances.