Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortez Allen

Re: Cortez Allen

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    On the chopping block?

Madison, Gay, and Taylor aren't even on the team. They are all UFAs. Perhaps Gay be a RFA depending on the CBA, but MAdison is likely gone as Brown is a capable gunner and has much better coverage skills.

Right now our corners are

Lewis
    Butler
    McFadden
    Corez Allen
    Curtis Brown
    and some camp fodder (Donovan Warren, Tuft Harris, etc.)
    Does this scare anyone else but myself?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    On the chopping block?

Madison, Gay, and Taylor aren't even on the team. They are all UFAs. Perhaps Gay be a RFA depending on the CBA, but MAdison is likely gone as Brown is a capable gunner and has much better coverage skills.

Right now our corners are

Lewis
    Butler
    McFadden
    Corez Allen
    Curtis Brown
    and some camp fodder (Donovan Warren, Tuft Harris, etc.)
    Does this scare anyone else but myself?

The above is how I reacted to Shawn's post.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

I hear ya blood. We can not field a winning team with those guys as our DBs. We might...just might be able to eek out 10 wins against a soft schedule. But, I wouldn't expect one playoff win with those guys. While I will agree with Chadman, a healthy McFadden isn't as bad as some make him out to be...McFadden being far and away the Steelers best DB is sad.

We must sign a good FA...and with the market how will that happen?

Steelers' Allen takes unique path to pros

Posted June 04, 2011
    By Mike Wilkening

Steelers rookie CB Cortez Allen played collegiately at The Citadel, the Charleston, S.C. military academy where about a third of its graduating students will go on to serve in various branches of the armed services.

Allen is going on to a different professional career, but his Citadel experience sticks with him as he prepares for the NFL.

"I guess the best thing (is) I've learned how to put in the extra work to be successful," he told PFW. "Nothing is really given to you."

Allen, the Steelers' fourth-round pick, did not play varsity football until his senior year at North Marion High School in Ocala, Fla. He missed his freshman year with a groin injury. As a sophomore, told to pick one sport by his father, he chose basketball. As a junior, he finally chose football, but he was placed on the junior varsity.

That's not a well-worn path to take to be noticed by collegiate coaches, but Allen played well enough as a senior to draw interest from a handful of schools, most notably Cincinnati. But The Citadel, and the belief that the academy would give him a chance to be "set up for life," was his choice.

The 6-1, 197-pound Allen played sparingly as a true freshman in 2006, then missed the '07 season with an ACL tear suffered playing basketball. However, he returned in '08 to become a part-time starter, then entered the lineup full time in his final two collegiate seasons, intercepting three passes in '09 and two in 2010.

With the Steelers, whom he visited before the draft, he'll have no shortage of good teachers. His position coach, Carnell Lake, was a standout Steelers defensive back. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is a Hall of Fame cornerback. Head coach Mike Tomlin made his name early in his career as a defensive backs coach. Allen also cited veteran CB Ike Taylor as someone who can teach him.

"There's just so many avenues to learn from, which is a great opportunity for me," Allen said.

Allen's relative inexperience could be an asset, Lake said during the draft.

"That is the beauty of this pick," Lake said. "He played one year of high school football and moved around a little bit, playing the corner at The Citadel. The Citadel is not a 'football factory.' A lot of the work that he gets is very limited in terms of football.

"I asked him when he came to visit us, 'How much time do you get to work on your craft(?)' He said, 'I don't get a lot of time because I have to do The Citadel stuff.'

"So I said, this guy is really playing well, and he's not working on his craft that much because of his limited time. If he can spend a lot of time working on his craft, I see a lot of upside for him. I think that is one of the reasons why we selected him."

Allen said that during football season, he was excused from military drills on Tuesday and Thursday, but a normal day would have him waking at 6:30 a.m., getting into his cadet uniform and marching to breakfast. Then it was off to class. After practice and mandatory study hall, his day wouldn't be over until 10 p.m.

Allen, who said his range and press coverage are two of his top skills, is working out at The Citadel with the Bulldogs' CB coach, Gerald Dixon, who played with the Lions and Bills from 2002-04. Dixon has told Allen that special teams will be key to him contributing early and that "you have to keep that motor going at all times," Allen said.

Allen, a team captain, said he made sure to get in extra on-field work at The Citadel and believes he can handle the transition to the NFL level. He anticipates being used outside in the Steelers' scheme.

"I feel pretty good, confident, in my ability to play off(-man) and on(-man) (coverage) right now," he said.

http://burgh.us/55q

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Madison, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Mcfadden...pick two

Pappy
    Out of that list, I'd pick Madison and Gay

Legend

Gay isn't going anywhere... Gay does what he is asked to do, keep the WR in front of him and don't give up the big play. He knows the system, he isn't expensive and I think he is pretty good at blitzing the QB. Gay had some good games last year and he had some bad ones. I'll take that over a newbie learning on the fly next year. We know the chances of that happening are slim, especially with the lockout in place.

Fans need to realize our CB situation is like our OL situation... our FO is smart enough to realize they can get by with average talent in a few areas.

We almost beat GB with 3 TO's and a pick 6 by our offense. Our D was lit up by AR but umm... AR has lit up a ton of D's. Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

3 SB's in 6 years... I know it's blasphemy to say but we aren't going to the SB every year. Our FO knows this so they will address our needs in a calm and practical manner.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.
    And there it is..."pressure" . The DB's are what they are but they did not play horrible IMO in the SB. A lot of others will look back and say they were exposed. I think they played there rolls adequately in the scheme. Maybe Lamaar & James were hurt but they did not get in Aarons head and blitzes were fairly neutralized.

We all knew what was coming so Tomlin and company were not surprised by people getting open in the underbelly of the defense. Instead we see an injured Troy look out of place or Farrior trailing and say he is too slow when really its the pressure that failed IMO.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Gay isn't going anywhere... Gay does what he is asked to do, keep the WR in front of him and don't give up the big play. He knows the system, he isn't expensive and I think he is pretty good at blitzing the QB. Gay had some good games last year and he had some bad ones. I'll take that over a newbie learning on the fly next year. We know the chances of that happening are slim, especially with the lockout in place.

Fans need to realize our CB situation is like our OL situation... our FO is smart enough to realize they can get by with average talent in a few areas.

We almost beat GB with 3 TO's and a pick 6 by our offense. Our D was lit up by AR but umm... AR has lit up a ton of D's. Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.

3 SB's in 6 years... I know it's blasphemy to say but we aren't going to the SB every year. Our FO knows this so they will address our needs in a calm and practical manner.
    I'd agree with you if Gay were currently under contract (although he's not a good outside corner, I don't mind him playing nickel corner, as long as the team doesn't have him trying to cover 6'5" TE's anymore), but his contract is up. After drafting 2 rookie CB's (Brown and Allen) with 2 other young CB's on the roster (Butler and Lewis), signing another young CB Donovan Warren to a futures contract after last season, plus extending McFadden's contract after trading for him during the draft last year, I think that they may focus on re-signing Ike to start, and then realize that they have enough young depth that they'd let Gay peddle his wares on the open market. If no one bites, and they can get him back on the cheap, then maybe.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I'd agree with you if Gay were currently under contract (although he's not a good outside corner, I don't mind him playing nickel corner, as long as the team doesn't have him trying to cover 6'5" TE's anymore), but his contract is up. After drafting 2 rookie CB's (Brown and Allen) with 2 other young CB's on the roster (Butler and Lewis), signing another young CB Donovan Warren to a futures contract after last season, plus extending McFadden's contract after trading for him during the draft last year, I think that they may focus on re-signing Ike to start, and then realize that they have enough young depth that they'd let Gay peddle his wares on the open market. If no one bites, and they can get him back on the cheap, then maybe.
    I only see Gay back if they can't resign Ike and then that becomes a desperate move since he is the only other CB we have who knows the system and has started.

As pointed out, we are loaded with guys who project covering the slot and I would hope Curtis Brown gets first shot but unlikely LeBeau ever gives him a chance. I don't think Lewis gets more than one more season and he will probably be passed by guys like Butler, Brown and Allen. I think Donovan Warren is nothing more than a camp body unless they want to give him a look at safety.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west
    Our D is based on pressure not on lock down CB play, it would be nice to have it but pressuring the QB into a mistake or bad throw is more important to us.
    And there it is..."pressure" . The DB's are what they are but they did not play horrible IMO in the SB. A lot of others will look back and say they were exposed. I think they played there rolls adequately in the scheme. Maybe Lamaar & James were hurt but they did not get in Aarons head and blitzes were fairly neutralized.

We all knew what was coming so Tomlin and company were not surprised by people getting open in the underbelly of the defense. Instead we see an injured Troy look out of place or Farrior trailing and say he is too slow when really its the pressure that failed IMO.

there were times the full blitz was on. and when it was, the receivers were open immediately. unless they get to the QB as its snapped, they'll usually be an open receiver with our secondary
    look at the 3rd and 10 that had clark go play nelson while mcfadden creeped up to the end of the LOS to come in on a corner blitz.

same type of thing happned with gay on nelson when gay tried to deflect the ball and jordy dropped what would have been a TD

ryan clark on any receiver 1 on 1 is a mismatch for the offense