Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Gilbert UGH

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Marcus Gilbert UGH

There are questions, but a lot to like too. This kid is big and strong and looks fairly nimble for his size from what little I've seen of him. But the thing I suspect that may play most in his favor is his ability to play so many positions. It's gotta mean the kid is smart and a hard worker and I bet that's why Tomlin wanted him.

Everything points to him being a high character kid and a leader.

It'll be interesting to see what Koogs can do with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can't say this pick thrilled me but in Colbert and Tomlin I'll trust. Heck our "horrible" OL has played in three Super Bowls in the past six years and all I hear is how bad they are.

I do think we have much greater concerns in our secondary than on our OL. IMO our OL is on a slow, albeit very slow, rise. Our secondary is on the decline and we may still lose our best CB in free agency.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Once again, Colbert shows a penchant for second-pick mediocrity.
    Once again, Bradshaw'sHairdresser shows a penchant for super-negativity...

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman has finally worked it out- Steelers fans love having something to be negative about...

SKL has obviously put some time & effort into his analysis of the rookies this year, so must respect his opinions/fears for Gilbert.

That said, Chadman has liked nearly everything he's read about Gilbert, knows that he was part of an OL that made Tim Tebow a 1st round pick, and thinks that Kugs looked a wee bit happy with him. Steelers attended Florida's pro day, so they obviously got to see something they liked- and Chadman finds it hard to believe that the Steelers would draft a player based on a pro day workout & Maurkice's recommendation. Chadman thinks that maybe they saw something on film they liked/looked for.

As for Bradshaw's Hairdresser- if Gilbert ends up anything like that horrible LaMarr Woodley guy, Chadman will accept that as a pass.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Did anyone else read Wexell's mock draft on Thursday? The one where he trades half the draft for Pouncey? Sorry but I'll trust Mayock and the Steelers FO here over some small time journalist.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I trust the steelers evaluation skills on this. They watched a boatload of Florida film the past 2 drafts. Kugs did an excellent job last year as well.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert will be given the shot at RG and unless they draft a true G or sign a FA, he has the best skill set and pulling ability of anyone as their option at RG. They like his in game versitility to play both tackle spots but I think he is destined for the right side. Kugler worked him out in position drills and they like his short area quickness. He is not a sloppy 330 like Foster. Gilbert was rated as a 2-3 by both Mayock & Brandt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

As for Bradshaw's Hairdresser- if Gilbert ends up anything like that horrible LaMarr Woodley guy, Chadman will accept that as a pass.
    Woodley was an exception. But in general, Colbert has been unimpressive with his second picks.

Oh well. We had to get someone in to take the place of Essex, who will likely exit via free agency.

Hope I'm wrong and Gilbert turns out to be an upgrade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Woodley was an exception. But in general, Colbert has been unimpressive with his second picks.

Oh well. We had to get someone in to take the place of Essex, who will likely exit via free agency.

Hope I'm wrong and Gilbert turns out to be an upgrade.
    It would be difficult not to be an upgrade based on many of the comments about last year's below the line offensive line. :P

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd let him compete for the RG spot immediately. And you have the flexibility to move him to RT when Adams is gone.