Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Gilbert UGH

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Marcus Gilbert UGH

Former Gator Gilbert reunites with Steelers’ Pouncey

The Steelers selected offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert in the second round, joining him with former UF teammate Maurkice Pouncey.

BY MIKE MCCALL

MIAMI HERALD WRITER

GAINESVILLE -- Marcus Gilbert will suit up at a different level of football in 2011, but he will have a familiar face on the line with him.

Gilbert, a product of Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas, was taken in the second round of the NFL Draft on Friday, joining the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he again will play with center and former University of Florida teammate Maurkice Pouncey.

Gilbert was the second Florida player off the board (center Mike Pouncey went to the Dolphins at No. 15 in the first round), going at No. 63 overall in a pick that was announced by Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris.

“That is a typical Pittsburgh pick right there,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “You can plug him in, he has tremendous size and athletic ability and can play either tackle. They need some youth and athleticism, and Gilbert provides that.”

Gilbert played at both tackle spots last season for Florida, where he started all 13 games.

He now will join a team that features five-time Pro Bowler Flozell Adams and Gators alumnus Max Starks, but because Adams and Starks are 35 and 29, respectively, an influx of youth was needed.

That’s where Gilbert comes in.

“When it comes to size and athleticism, he’s almost as impressive as any guy in this draft,” said Scott Wright, founder and analyst for DraftCountdown.com. “He’s 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, and he moves well. I think he can play left tackle in the NFL. …

“To me, he’s definitely a starter. It seemed like late in the process, he started moving up draft boards to be considered a second- or third-rounder.”

Read more: [url="http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/29/2193627/gilbert-reunites-with-steelers.html#ixzz1L8U1cDhv"]http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/29/2 ... z1L8U1cDhv[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I just thought of an added bonus to the pick

With the lockout on again. He'll be ahead of other rookie OL we could have drafted cause Mo will be feeding him info on blocking schemes

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER

With the lockout on again. He'll be ahead of other rookie OL we could have drafted cause Mo will be feeding him info on blocking schemes
    The relationship Pouncey has with him could definitely be an advantage. If they get together to work out together there could be lots of information sharing. That alone probably made Gilbert a better choice than other OL who were available.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER

The relationship Pouncey has with him could definitely be an advantage. If they get together to work out together there could be lots of information sharing. That alone probably made Gilbert a better choice than other OL who were available.
    Another ex-Gator Max Starks could also help, since he is more familiar with the responsibilities of a tackle in our scheme than Pouncey is.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Look what I found.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd let him compete for the RG spot immediately. And you have the flexibility to move him to RT when Adams is gone.
    Almost nailed it Flippy...except they moved him to RT before Adams is gone.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I don't mind that we took him, I just don't like where we took him. To me, he is a 4th round tackle. But, I hope that he is better than I have observed.
    This is one of the few times that I look back at an old post of mine and think that I wasn't drinking when I wrote it.

And

Way to go Keylargo! you nailed that one.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I will do I write up of Gilbert based off my notes. I know it won't be a great one though. He is a a RTO or a RG. Really struggles with speed and is sloppy and lazy with technique. Very inconsistent. Catch blocker and doesn't take the action to the defender.

that sounds a lot like our new LT.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Almost nailed it Flippy...except they moved him to RT before Adams is gone.
    I think Flip was referring to Flozell Adams. But right now our o-line is as scary as the Addams Family

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I think Flip was referring to Flozell Adams. But right now our o-line is as scary as the Addams Family
    I know...word play. But you are right, this board pretty solidly identified a lack of depth on the OL going into the first game of the season. People were 'terrified' and their fears have come to fruition.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.