Thread: Game 7

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Game 7

LETS GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Game 7

We're getting lots of shots but we're running up against a very tough goalie. I'm nervous after that first period.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fleury can't be blamed for the lone goal on the sweet pass from Moore to Bergenheim from behind the net for the second time this series. Flower seems up to the task tonight with that HUGE save, flashing big time leather when Kubina (I think it was) thought he had a somewhat wide open net.

Our boys just need to make something happen on the power play if they want to move on. Special teams are going to be huge. I predict a shorty for Dupuis and finally a PP goal to win it by Kovy. Let's get this done in the third!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, it's over. Fleury played well enough to win (yet another big save late in the third from point blank range) and I was glad to see the crowd chanting his name at the end of the game just like they were at the end of the game.

You just can't win at this level with that pathetic of a performance on the power play. Without Sid and Geno, our team was a group of feisty grinders (I loved watching their style of play), but on the power play, your skill needs to shine through, and that skill was absent with our stars on the shelf.

With Sid's ice time seemingly decreasing lately, it looked more and more like we had no shot to get him back regardless of how far we advanced in the tourney. And although I loved our flock of muckers (don't say that too fast) this year, the reality was that we were not going to hoist Lord Stanley's chalice this year without our big guns.

Although this loss hurts (actually, it feels more empty than painful right now), in the grand scheme of things, I'm sure if it would have hurt worse if we ultimately were eliminated by the Caps or Flyers in a subsequent round (those bastages). I'll actually be rooting for the Bolts in the East now (and the B's over the Flyers as well, of course). Still hard to believe that the NHL season is over for us now.

The 2nd round of the AHL playoffs start tomorrow, and my W-B/S Penguins are hosting the Charlotte Checkers, so I have that as an ongoing option for now. My dad wants to know if I want to go, but it may be hard to stomach hockey so soon after this elimination game (besides, it is a school night for my kids and I'll be waist deep in first round draft coverage anyway).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flower showed up tonight. Too bad the refs didn't call the high stick against Orpik right before the sweet goal.

Can't believe we got stung by the same play twice. And once Tampa had the lead, we weren't gonna score if we had 6 on 1.

I have to admit that I thought fate was on our side with the broken stick with about 1:30 to go.

The loss wasn't as dissappointing as the series to me. We really grinded it out tonight and got some solid performances on the ice. Just nothing to show for our hard work.

This team played over their heads this year. It was a good season given the circumstances.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There was definitely some silver lining to be found from this season. Some players really stepped up when needed.

Staal showed leadership skills we haven't had a chance to see yet.
    TK flashed an offensive ability this team could use.
    Neal is a solid player who should be great when he is on Sid's wing.
    Kunitz scored a lot, and did it without Sid. I think he might be better on Staal's wing than Sid's actually.
    Fleury, I admit I was down on him and he still can be worrisome, but he can carry a team too and has earned major respect around the league I think.
    Conner is a hustler and should have a roster spot, allowing us to let others walk if need be.

My thoughts on Kovy...he needs to go. I don't like him on this team. He's too much of a 'do it myself' kinda guy, and that doesn't fit. I hated having him on the power play. In fact, I hated the power play in general. Tampa showed how to do it though...move players AND the puck. Not just the puck, because then you have a PP looking like the Penguins.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    There was definitely some silver lining to be found from this season. Some players really stepped up when needed.

Staal showed leadership skills we haven't had a chance to see yet.
    TK flashed an offensive ability this team could use.
    Neal is a solid player who should be great when he is on Sid's wing.
    Kunitz scored a lot, and did it without Sid. I think he might be better on Staal's wing than Sid's actually.
    Fleury, I admit I was down on him and he still can be worrisome, but he can carry a team too and has earned major respect around the league I think.
    Conner is a hustler and should have a roster spot, allowing us to let others walk if need be.

My thoughts on Kovy...he needs to go. I don't like him on this team. He's too much of a 'do it myself' kinda guy, and that doesn't fit. I hated having him on the power play. In fact, I hated the power play in general. Tampa showed how to do it though...move players AND the puck. Not just the puck, because then you have a PP looking like the Penguins.
    I agree that Kovy is done in Pittsburgh. No way he's back.

It was great to see some of the young guys step up this year (Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey are two prominent examples, and Eric Tangradi was showing his big body presence in front of the opposing netminder before that goon Gillies cowardly concussed him when he was obviously already hurt in that embarrassment of a game against the Islanders).

Those improvements may mean that they won't worry if they are not able to afford what guys like Pascal Dupuis and Max Talbot might get on the open market in free agency (don't get me wrong, I really like what those guys bring to the team, and their presence was a huge reason why we had the best PK unit in the league this season...at least for the regular season...could have used more of that against St. Louis, Lecavalier, Gagne, Stamkos, and Brewer's PP unit in the playoffs.

Rotating in Lovejoy and Engelland for most of the year (before Lovejoy earned a more regular role with his performances late in the season) was an unexpected bonus that allowed us to move Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen. It will be interesting to see what happens with our blueliners if Simon Depres is ready to contribute next season right off the bat.