Legend

User Info Menu

Re: QB in the First??

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodleyofTroy
    Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    Hear me out. So the newest theory is that the TCU and FSU qbs are climbing draft boards and too many teams need a qb and isn't it wonderful for the Steelers so if 5-6 qbs go in the first then some big lineman or whatever drops to us. Well what if that doesn't happen, only 2 qbs go and first round is fairly boring and the best linemen and secondary are gone. Does Pittsburgh shock the world and take on of those qbs as BPA? It's not like we're solid at backup qb, and you're always looking for the next starter. I don't know. Maybe?

No of course not. However your point is correct. With the likes of Dalton rising up fast, in fact he might be selected by the Seahawks in round 1. However I hear Ponder is a possible 1st rounder. As is Kaepernick. And if alot of them start getting selected, then teams late in round 1, e.g., Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Jets, will all be contacted by teams in the first 5-10 in round 2 looking to deal up. And if there are a few players the steelers like, but think they can get a bit lower, then they can use that leverage. Here's HOPING they do, and acquire a few more selections down below. Rather then do something completely stupid like trading away valuable picks in rounds 2 and 3 and 4 to move up to take a totally OVERRATED player like Mike Pouncey, who couldn't even make the All-SEC team. Let alone the All-American team. Pouncey =
    As overrated as Pouncey may be as an individual prospect, if you put him on the Steelers, he's instantly All Pro. Offensive Line is a unit. They eat, sh*t, and sleep together. I don't think there is more of a greater value in this entire draft than pairing up both Pouncey's would be. Which is why I see a team like the Patriots or Colts grabbing him to prevent that.

You could be right about that. And I would not be against selecting Mike Pouncey at our selection. But to sacrafice an entire draft for a GUARD who may, or may not be any better then several other guard options later in this draft ?...Ah NO! That I would not do. Nor would anyone else with sense.
    Where did anyone say that we should give up an entire draft to move up to get Pouncey? Several of us (me included) have advocated giving up our 3rd rounder to Seattle if he happens to fall into the mid 20's. I haven't heard anyone (except you) talking about giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th).
    I also would not give up any extra pick for Pouncey II. We didn't for his brother and his brother is the much better player.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I also would not give up any extra pick for Pouncey II. We didn't for his brother and his brother is the much better player.
    If we were picking at #31 last year, then we would have had to trade up if we wanted Maurkice. If we were picking at #18 this year, we likely wouldn't have to trade up for Mike. It's a matter of different circumstances.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we drafted a QB in the first I think Ben would demand a trade.

and Ricky Stanzi ehhhhh no... way too inconsistant.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel33
    The later would be 4-5 years from now when he becomes a free agent and Maurkice convinces him to sign with Pittsburgh.

Now or later.
    Sounds great until you consider that Maurkice is likely the first to become available. Vice-versa seems far more likely.
    Their first opportunity to "join forces" is more likely to result in our LOSING Maurkice.

If Mike's team offers Maurkice, he has no guaranty the Steelers will offer his brother the following year. The other team can offer BOTH GUYS a new contract to give a further incentive to draw Maurkice away before we can do anything. We may have to overpay Maurkice way before free agency in order to keep him, and have any chance to get his brother. A year ahead with a market offer extension may not be enough.

If playing with his brother means more than playing with the Steelers, the dude is gone.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    The later would be 4-5 years from now when he becomes a free agent and Maurkice convinces him to sign with Pittsburgh.

Now or later.
    Sounds great until you consider that Maurkice is likely the first to become available. Vice-versa seems far more likely.
    Their first opportunity to "join forces" is more likely to result in our LOSING Maurkice.

If Mike's team offers Maurkice, he has no guaranty the Steelers will offer his brother the following year. The other team can offer BOTH GUYS a new contract to give a further incentive to draw Maurkice away before we can do anything. We may have to overpay Maurkice way before free agency in order to keep him, and have any chance to get his brother. A year ahead with a market offer extension may not be enough.

If playing with his brother means more than playing with the Steelers, the dude is gone.
    maurkice is the better player. he was the one who wouldnt declare to a school until they offered mike a scholarship as well.

besides, if he keeps his play up, he'll be offered an extension at around the money mangold signed for way before he becomes a free agent. too much injury risk to turn down an offer like that

Legend

User Info Menu

Now or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming

maurkice is the better player. he was the one who wouldnt declare to a school until they offered mike a scholarship as well.
    While true, this is in no way relevant to the topic at hand. All this means is that the other team has greater incentive to steal Maurkice from us than we have to go after Mike. Again if the want to play together it will be sooner and more likely on Mikes team.

besides, if he keeps his play up, he'll be offered an extension at around the money mangold signed for way before he becomes a free agent. too much injury risk to turn down an offer like that.
    [/quote]

If money is more important than being together sure we can lock Maurkice up.
    But college players including potential number one QBs stay in college all the time, rather than going pro despite the risk of injury or the lure of an immediate payday. And they arent making Millions like Maurkice already makes. They have a greater financial interest yet some still wait because they love college.

If money is most important, which is possible, by the same logic you state, Mike can be signed to an extension before he is a free agent too.

My point is the we imagine that it will be so easy to sign Mike because he wants to be with his brother so badly. If they want to play together SO BADLY, it will be sooner and therefore more likely on Mikes team.

If we want Mike we gotta draft him.

Beyond that it is pure wishful thinking.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

let's play along as if this future joining of the twins is going to play out...

Of course we are going to get Mike and not the other way around.

Why?

Because this is the Pittsburgh Steelers we are talking about, and the grass really is greener over here.

Legend

User Info Menu

plus he's already gotten an introduction to the steelers from his brother. i'm sure he was at the playoff games and superbowl and read he was in pittsburgh working out together with his brother

unless mike goes to tampa (close to their hometown) or perhaps another florida team, i cant see it happening. Mo will likely be our highest paid OL soon and if he's at the top of his position (very likely) we can always franchise tag him. we've certainly done it with lesser talented players (max)

Mo signed a 5 year contract. we dont know how long mike's contract will be. what if he signs a 4 year deal? that makes them free agents at the same time

lastly, Mike is going to play center most likely for any team that drafts him (us being the exception) after playing 3/4/5 years at that position, do you think either one will go to another team to go play guard?

Legend

User Info Menu

4 to 5 years from now these guys will be grown azz men with tons of money. I'm pretty sure they will be ok if they never play together again.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On the QB topic, I wouldn't spend a first round pick on a QB as we have other holes to fill. BUT, if a QB they feel they could groom were available in the 2nd round on, I would pull the trigger. QB's in the NFL are like starting pitchers in MLB, they control the game. I see no problem drafting a young QB and grooming him. If Ben goes down, we have a strong pedigree replacement ready to go. If Ben stays healthy, we have good trade bait 3 years down the line.

Last year I wanted to draft QB John Skelton that Arizona ended up taking in the 5th round (with the pick we traded them to get BMac back). I thought he would of been a nice young QB to groom in our current system. Not sure what the Steelers affinity is with the skinny string bean african american QB's like Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon, and last year they showed interest in signing Jarrett Brown to the practice squad. I would prefer they pick up a pocket passer and groom him instead of looking for the next slash.

Regarding the Pouncey boys, I think drafting Mike could help us out two fold. It would immediately help out our offensive line as we solidify the interior of our line for years to come. Mike could start year one at RG, if not LG. There is also the possibility that drafting Mike would aid us in re-signing Maurkice. You figure his brother would be on the team and he may give a decent discount in free agency to stick around Pittsburgh and play his career with his brother instead of just going for the huge payday.
    @_Hellgrammite