Thread: buckeyehoppy Mock Posted

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

buckeyehoppy Mock Posted

In an effort to drive traffic over to the "NFL Draft" discussion board, I have posted my mock draft there. Check out the link at:

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17216&p=211452#p211452"]viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17216&p=211452#p211452[/url]

And let me know what ya think, good, bad or indifferent.

Go Steelers!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: buckeyehoppy Mock Posted

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    In an effort to drive traffic over to the "NFL Draft" discussion board, I have posted my mock draft there. Check out the link at:

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17216&p=211452#p211452"]viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17216&p=211452#p211452[/url]

Go Steelers!

The thing I like about your draft is that every single pick is reasonable (meaning each player should be there, and none of them are extremely drastic reaches). So many mocks have Ras-I in round two, or Ellis in round four and it really serves no purpose.

I think you've got the first four picks in a very solid sequence of position vs priority vs value. I would be very happy leaving the 2011 draft with those prospects.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler

Go Steelers!

The thing I like about your draft is that every single pick is reasonable (meaning each player should be there, and none of them are extremely drastic reaches). So many mocks have Ras-I in round two, or Ellis in round four and it really serves no purpose.

I think you've got the first four picks in a very solid sequence of position vs priority vs value. I would be very happy leaving the 2011 draft with those prospects.
    And that's the thing, SSS. The draft, at a certain point, becomes a crap shoot. That's something I have always contended. But, the first three round need to be the best combination of BPA and fulfillment of need.

The Steelers could, for instance, take a WR in the 1st Round. But that would do nothing to address the problems they have with the corners and the OL.

This year, there is a real possibility that we might have fewer picks than rounds if we jump on the trade bandwagon that is getting so much attention. That means, we really need to make every pick count.

A lot of people are going to say that Ras-I could be picked up with our second round pick. I don't see it that way. I haven't seen a mock with him that low in over a month. So, he is trending up on draft boards. Plus, I feel like he is the BPA at our greatest need position.

I like Williams and, initially, I was leaning toward him for my mock. But he isn't a pure cover corner like Ras-I is. Too many projections had him going to FS eventually and that he is more of a FS in his mind set now. That was a scary thought to me because that's what I'll be thinking the first time he can't recover from getting jammed at the line.

I also thing that taking Brewer and Boren and moving Foster inside to G eliminates the need to get into a serious negotiation with Willie. FWIW, Willie isn't worth the $$$ he will command on the open market. He will never be Pro Bowl material (unless he moves inside, and, even then, maybe not). If the Steelers draft Brewer and the Scotts both work well enough, we might be OK on the OL for a little while.
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Go Steelers!

When you draft as late as we do, a projected 2nd round pick has be a 1st for us and a 3rd has to be a 2nd, etc, etc.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Williams and, initially, I was leaning toward him for my mock. But he isn't a pure cover corner like Ras-I is. Too many projections had him going to FS eventually and that he is more of a FS in his mind set now. That was a scary thought to me because that's what I'll be thinking the first time he can't recover from getting jammed at the line
    Corners don't get jammed on the line, receivers do. Corners are the jammers, not the jammees (well, not in our defense, were we give an 8 yard cushion at minimum, but still...)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I like Williams and, initially, I was leaning toward him for my mock. But he isn't a pure cover corner like Ras-I is. Too many projections had him going to FS eventually and that he is more of a FS in his mind set now. That was a scary thought to me because that's what I'll be thinking the first time he can't recover from getting jammed at the line
    Corners don't get jammed on the line, receivers do. Corners are the jammers, not the jammees (well, not in our defense, were we give an 8 yard cushion at minimum, but still...)
    Corners can still get faked outta their jock at the LOS by the WR if they are playing at the line. I think I was going after that particular scenario in what I was saying, but I see your point.
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Go Steelers!

When you draft as late as we do, a projected 2nd round pick has be a 1st for us and a 3rd has to be a 2nd, etc, etc.
    And that's the rationale, Ovie. Not a lot of mocks have Dowling in the 1st, but some do. Most have him gone long before we come up in the 2nd. The reason I like him is that he is a pure cover corner, which is something we need.

I think the coaching we have could pull off converting Williams, and he is a coachable commodity. But he is not yet a pure cover guy. Considering the problems BMac had last year, I felt like we would have better use for a guy who was already well-versed in the role and that's what Ras-I brings to the table.

Williams, OTOH, is an acceptable alternative. He'll just require a bit more work to become what we need him to be.
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bumping this.

Posted my mock in the NFL Draft DB (why have it for any other reason than to discuss the draft, right?)

Hit up this link and let's discuss: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17216&p=211452#p211452
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Starter

User Info Menu

i love picks 1, 2, 4, 6.

i think Williams could be had in the 4th or possibly the 5th round.

i don't know that Boren gives us much more at OG than a lot of the guys we currently have on our roster.

i think if you put another CB in the 3rd round, you'd be golden.

Overall i'd be happy with that draft.