Thread: Tomlin & Colbert attend Pitt pro day

Starter

User Info Menu

Tomlin & Colbert attend Pitt pro day

Baldwin shines as big draw at Pittsburgh’s pro day

No question Jon Baldwin was the player to see at Pittsburgh’s recent pro day, and he didn’t disappoint.

Baldwin, who measured in at 6-foot-4 and 224 pounds and stood on all of his measurables from the NFL Scouting Combine, was outstanding in his workouts. Working with receiver coach Richard Mann, he ran 18 scripted routes. Throwing to him was Josh Portis, a quarterback from California University of Pennsylvania who looked good at the combine. Portis, one of the most sought after quarterbacks out of high school, started at Florida and transferred to Maryland before ending up with the Vulcans. But his job yesterday was throwing to Baldwin.

I will say it was the first time I’ve ever seen a scripted workout by a player other than a quarterback.

Baldwin will probably be the third receiver off the board at the draft. He’s in my top 100 between 31-40 overall, a likely second-round pick.

A total of 10 players worked out at Pittsburgh’s shared facility with the Steelers, running inside on FieldTurf. All 32 teams were in attendance, including Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert. Here are the numbers for five players, who all worked out at the combine:

FB Henry Hynoski (6-foot, 5/8, 255 pounds) – He didn’t work out after suffering a hamstring injury at the combine and hasn’t set a date to work out for teams.

RB Dion Lewis (5-6 7/8, 194) – Ran 4.47 seconds in the 40-yard dash and had a 1.51-second 10-yard split after not running well at the combine (4.57 and 4.62). He did position drills that impressed teams, and kept the rest of his numbers from the combine. Some teams question why he left school early, but after this workout you can see why. Lewis will be a sixth- or seventh-round draft choice.

OT Jason Pinkston (6-3 3/8, 214) – Ran 5.31 and 5.28 in the 40. He did 22 reps in the bench press and kept the rest of numbers from the combine.

DE Greg Romeus (6-5 1/8, 265) – He had 24 bench press reps with an 84-inch wingspan. Romeus didn’t work out due to a right ACL injury he suffered late during season and probably won’t be able to work out for teams until summer.

DE Jabaal Sheard (6-3 1/8, 263) – He stood on his 40 times from the combine. He had a 32 ½-inch vertical, a 9-foot-4 broad jump, a 4.65-second short shuttle and a 7.34 in the three-cone drill.

- Gil Brandt
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin & Colbert attend Pitt pro day

Of course Tomlin and Colbert would attend this, since all that they need to do is walk down the hall. It is interesting, though, to have other NFL coaches, GM's, scouts, etc. attending Pitt's Pro Day, since it is held at our shared facility. I don't know if any other NFL team has a shared facility with a college. I understand that it is split into a Pitt side and a Steelers side, so we wouldn't have Belichick cronies installing cameras in our meeting rooms during the Pitt Pro Day , but it seems a bit odd to have reps from other teams at our facility for this occassion, when reps from our team cannot visit other teams' headquarters for any reason.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jon Baldwin at #31...don't be shocked!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be shocked. Just disappointed. We've drafted talented wideouts who were head cases in the first round a couple of times before. Although both players had some success with us in their first few seasons with us, both wore out their welcome to the point that they did not make it to their second contract. I'd rather 3rd round guys with a chip on their shoulder who will scrap and fight like Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and Emmanuel Sanders than talented 1st round prima donnas like Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, and Jonathan Baldwin.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I wouldn't be shocked. Just disappointed. We've drafted talented wideouts who were head cases in the first round a couple of times before. Although both players had some success with us in their first few seasons with us, both wore out their welcome to the point that they did not make it to their second contract. I'd rather 3rd round guys with a chip on their shoulder who will scrap and fight like Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, and Emmanuel Sanders than talented 1st round prima donnas like Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, and Jonathan Baldwin.
    Like I said, I wouldn't be shocked but I don't think it is the course of action we should take. My sense of Colbert is that he prefers to take "skill position" guys in Round 1 when the opportunity is there.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Dion Lewis is the Pitt player I'd like to see us land. He's projected to be a mid to late round draft pick and he might be as good as any RB in the draft.

I have a feeling he's gonna be one of the steals in this years draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Like I said, I wouldn't be shocked but I don't think it is the course of action we should take. My sense of Colbert is that he prefers to take "skill position" guys in Round 1 when the opportunity is there.
    Colbert has taken a quarterback, two wideouts, a running back, and a tight end with first round picks during his tenure here.

He has also taken a center, a guard, a nose tackle, a defensive end, a linebacker, and a strong safety in the first round as well.

He's done a good job taking skill positions in round 1, and has also done a good job taking non-skill positions in round 1 as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Colbert has taken a quarterback, two wideouts, a running back, and a tight end with first round picks during his tenure here.

He has also taken a center, a guard, a nose tackle, a defensive end, a linebacker, and a strong safety in the first round as well.

He's done a good job taking skill positions in round 1, and has also done a good job taking non-skill positions in round 1 as well.
    He hasn't taken a punter. Yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Dion Lewis is the Pitt player I'd like to see us land. He's projected to be a mid to late round draft pick and he might be as good as any RB in the draft.

I have a feeling he's gonna be one of the steals in this years draft.

Dion Lewis would look good in Black and Gold.

I would not mind Steelers drafting Dion Lewis in mid rounds and FB Henry Hynoski in 7th Rd.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers get Baldwin either. The man is a beast and would instantly upgrade our WR corps. It's like Coach has said in the past, you can get protection or you can get weapons. Baldwin is a weapon and one I'm sure Ben would love to have.