Thread: Dan Bylsma for Jack Adams Trophy as Coach of the Year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Dan Bylsma for Jack Adams Trophy as Coach of the Year?

People on this board were touting touting Mike Tomlin as a coach of the year candidate for how he dealt with losing his quarterback for the first quarter of the season. Well, look at what Dan Bylsma has been doing since losing Jordan Staal for the first half of the season and losing Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby for the 2nd half of the season. It is remarkable that this team is only 3 points behind Philadelphia for the top spot in the Eastern Conference while relying on guys like Mark Letestu, Dustin Jeffery, Chris Conner, Ben Lovejoy, Derek Engelland, and various other W-B/S Pens to not only fill in, but to play important roles at the NHL level this season. Plus, take into account that Marc-Andre Fleury struggled more than ever before early on this season, but turned it around to be a legit Vezina, and possibly even Hart, Trophy consideration. I was very glad to see that Bylsma was given a 3 year extension recently, so the revolving door behind the bench in Pittsburgh can finally stop with a guy who fits perfectly with his team.

Penguins give Bylsma three-year contract extension
    By Josh Yohe, MCKEESPORT DAILY NEWS
    Thursday, March 10, 2011

Penguin coaching history
    How Penguins coaches have fared in their first three seasons on the job:

Dan Bylsma (2009-11): 104-52-19

Mike Therrien (2005-0: 108-80-27

Kevin Constantine, (1997-99): 86-68-35

Eddie Johnston (1993-96): 122-72-20

Bob Berry (1984-87): 88-127-25

Eddie Johnston (1980-83): 79-126-35

Johnny Wilson (1977-80): 91-105-44

Marc Boileau (1974-76): 66-61-24

Red Kelley (1969-72): 64-94-38

Coaching giants like Bob Johnson, Scotty Bowman and Herb Brooks have stood behind the Penguins' bench for small bursts of glory, all of them cementing their legends elsewhere.

Finally, the Penguins appear to have found the coach who will always be synonymous with their organization.

Only two years away from becoming the first head coach in franchise history to last four full seasons, Dan Bylsma signed a three-year extension Wednesday. The signing could be viewed as an indication that the Penguins believe Bylsma is among the NHL's best coaches, and they do. But this signing represents something more.

The Penguins, perhaps for the first time in franchise history, have become completely stable, an organization that is sound in every conceivable way.

"I'm reminded of '09, when I felt like I had to pinch myself every day," Bylsma said of his latest success and new contract. "It's a humbling thing to think about the opportunity I've been given with this team. There isn't better ownership in sports."

There are few front offices in general that can compare to the Penguins these days. The aura of owner Mario Lemieux and the deep pockets of his partner, Rob Burkle, form a formidable ownership group. General manager Ray Shero, who has built a team that will compete for championships for the next decade, is considered at the very top of his field.

And then there is Bylsma, the coach who won a Stanley Cup after less than four months on the job and who has cemented his status atop his field by guiding the Penguins to success this season despite dealing with injuries to stars Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal.

"I still think back to when we hired Dan," Shero said. "After his first game, we sat down and talked for about an hour. He was so impressive. I remember calling (former president) Ken Sawyer and saying, 'I think this guy is impressive. We'll see how he does.' And we saw how he did."

Shero's hunch was right on the money.

Bylsma has the best winning percentage in team history and only trails Eddie Johnston and Mike Therrien for the most victories in franchise history.

Not bad for a guy who just turned 40.

A master motivator who clearly compels the Penguins to play hard on a nightly basis, Bylsma's preference for up-tempo hockey -- getting to the Penguins' game, as he would say -- has been the perfect fit for this squad.

"You never know how things will translate when you bring someone new to coach," Shero said. "But, he's been great."

The Penguins historically dump coaches on an almost annual basis, but something feels different about Bylsma's reign. He is young, his team is young and Bylsma has proven successful with and without stars at his disposal.

This job is clearly his for the foreseeable future, a luxury no coach in Penguins history has enjoyed.

"I've been made aware several times of the longevity of Pittsburgh Penguins coaches," he said. "When I was hired, Ray Shero gave me the opportunity to coach the team for one game."

Bylsma's point simply was that he will never take this job for granted. Like the team he coaches, Bylsma is hungry to keep winning.

"I'm going to be the coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins until someone tells me I'm not," he said.

Team history says he will ultimately be shown the door at some point. Recent precedent suggests otherwise.

These are the new, wealthy, sophisticated and stable Penguins. And Bylsma surely will be their coach for a very long time.

Read more: Penguins give Bylsma three-year contract extension - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_726549.html#ixzz1GhXrWFYy"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1GhXrWFYy[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Dan Bylsma for Jack Adams Trophy as Coach of the Year?

this topic was getting some talk on the broadcast the other night. Both guys said they would cast their votes for the Bylsmagic. Of course....they are both also huge homers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Dan Bylsma for Jack Adams Trophy as Coach of the Year?

[url]http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=1258&navid=mod-rr-headlines[/url]

Bylsma wins Jack Adams Award
    Wednesday, 06.22.2011 / 7:47 PM
    By John Kreiser - NHL.com Columnist
    NHL Awards Blog presented by GEICO

He didn't lead his team to the Stanley Cup as he did two years earlier, but Pittsburgh's Dan Bylsma won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach.

The Penguins came in fourth in the East with 106 points, barely failing to overtake Philadelphia for the Atlantic Division title, despite not having Jordan Staal for most of the first half of the season and playing without Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin for the second half.

Bylsma beat out Vancouver's Alain Vigneault, who led the Canucks to the Presidents' Trophy, and Nashville's Barry Trotz.
    Video of him being interviewed after winning it can be found here:

[url]http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=118865&navid=mod-rr-headlines[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.