Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Stephen Paea

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Meet Stephen Paea

[url="http://thenationalfootballreport.com/draft/player-profile/stephen-paea/"]http://thenationalfootballreport.com/dr ... phen-paea/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Meet Stephen Paea

Seems short for DE and really light for NT.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Didn't he do 49 reps of 225?
    I haven't seen a lot of him, I was planning on checking him out, but these damn papers have me too busy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Paea does not fit into our defensive scheme from a size, weight perspective. However, Paea is a disruptive force capable of playing NT at 305. Paea would be a great nickel pass rusher in our nickel and dime packages. He'd stay on the field against teams like Indy, NO, NE, and GB that use mostly 3 WR sets. IMHO, one of the best ways to improve our pass defense will be to add a dynamic interior pass rusher. Paea is still learning. He could be very special.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

He reminds me of Trevor Laws from Notre Dame a few years ago. People here liked his motor, but his body type didn't fit our scheme.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ruthless, you are right. Paea has a similar sized from to Laws. The difference in my opinion, is that Paea is stronger in his upper and lower body (600 pound squat). Laws relied a lot on his quick first step and refined moves. Paea is a stronger, more raw prospect. He posseses similar quickness to Laws, but still needs to develop that part of his game. I think Paea could survive as a 3-4 NT.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Has anyone of you guys ever seen Paea play? He is nearly unblockable. I'll tell you right here and now.....YES!! he could play NT in a 3-4. So he's a little short..who cares?! He gets leverage like no player in this draft. He would consistently plug two gapes. He is one strong dude. I personally think he is better playing NT in a 3-4 than the traditional 4-3 DT.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Has anyone of you guys ever seen Paea play? He is nearly unblockable. I'll tell you right here and now.....YES!! he could play NT in a 3-4. So he's a little short..who cares?! He gets leverage like no player in this draft. He would consistently plug two gapes. He is one strong dude. I personally think he is better playing NT in a 3-4 than the traditional 4-3 DT.
    He's not short for a 3-4 NT. He's short for a 3-4 DE. His height is virtually ideal for a 3-4 NT (he is the same height as Casey Hampton).

He just seems a bit light to be an anchor nose like Casey is (Casey likely outweighs Paea by more than 50 lbs.). Paea's physical stature is more reminiscent of Chris Hoke. He could be used like how the Cowboys use Jay Ratliff, I suppose, but we don't ask our NT to penetrate through a single gap, we want someone who is able to collapse the pocket while occupying two gaps.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

He seems more like Chris Hoke who is 6'2" and 305lbs.

I've always really liked Hoke because he seems to more a penetrating NT than a dig in and hold ground NT like Hampton. Hoke always seems to be surging through the OL.

If Paea can be a better Hoke then he would fit, but he definitely won't be Hampton so if he was the future something in the scheme would have to change.

Somewhat interesting because Ziggy is also more of a penetrator than a hold ground type guy. Maybe a positive change is in fact in the future...4-3 defense
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Yes, I have seen him play. And, if you could read, you'd have seen that despite his weight I stated that he COULD play NT in a 3-4 in two different posts. And, as ruthless said, his weight is the issue not his height.