Thread: Congratulation to the Steelers

Starter

User Info Menu

Congratulation to the Steelers

I know you're all disappointed, but it's still a tremendous accomplishment to be in the Super Bowl, and to have a chance to win on the final drive of the game.

I would have liked to have seen my Patriots face the Steelers in the playoffs this year, but it wasn't meant to be. Your team was better balanced and was championship caliber - mine was not.

Let's all hope that the owners and players can get together and avert a strike/lockout/stoppage, and that we all get to enjoy another great year of football for our favorite franchises.

TR

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Congratulation to the Steelers

gotta say, you're one of the classier Pats fans I've seen on the boards.

Man, I feel dirty for even saying that, lol!!!

Seriously, thanks and hope all goes well with Brady's foot recovery.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast
    I know you're all disappointed, but it's still a tremendous accomplishment to be in the Super Bowl, and to have a chance to win on the final drive of the game.

I would have liked to have seen my Patriots face the Steelers in the playoffs this year, but it wasn't meant to be. Your team was better balanced and was championship caliber - mine was not.

Let's all hope that the owners and players can get together and avert a strike/lockout/stoppage, and that we all get to enjoy another great year of football for our favorite franchises.

TR
    As far as I'm concerned the Steelers exceeded expectations, so it was great year with a disappointing ending. Let's all hope there is football played in the 2011/2012 season and we're not Jonesing for NFL football.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks TR. Class!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast
    I would have liked to have seen my Patriots face the Steelers in the playoffs this year, but it wasn't meant to be.
    TR

there's always next year...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, now Ben, Tom, and Peyton have all experienced a Super Bowl loss. It is an interesting fact that only these 3 franchises have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl over the past 8 consecutive seasons (and 9 of the last 10), while there has been a different NFC team each of the last 10 seasons (STL, TB, CAR. PHL, SEA, CHI, NYG, ARZ, NO, and GB).

We've never had a team host the Super Bowl in its own stadium (the closest was the Niners winning their 2nd Super Bowl in Stanford's stadium in nearby Palo Alto), so that rules out Indy from playing in the Super Bowl at Lucas Oil next year. So which of our teams will represent the AFC next year?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    so that rules out Indy from playing in the Super Bowl at Lucas Oil next year. So which of our teams will represent the AFC next year?
    No matter where the SB is held next year, I don't think Indy would be considered likely to be a representative. They only will go as far as Manning can take them, and based on some games I saw, he could have had another one or two more 3-4 INT games in addition to the ones he had during his bad stretch last year. And their D, even when fully healthy, isn't going to win many games for them. All teams have a certain amount of injuries, so unless they're phenomenally healthy on D next year, they will struggle at times. If there were another strong team in their division they might have trouble making the playoffs.

So I agree that it will likely come down to the Pats and Steelers next year. The Pats played a lot of rookies last year on both offense and defense, and there were still a number of holes on D. I think the D will play better next year. Probably the offense will not be as good (the 2010 Pats were #7 all-time in scoring). There will be lots of new players again next year, so it may take some time for the team to gel.

I see the Steelers being a little better on offense next year. Having Big Ben all year will help the O, and that's a very scary set of young WRs that's in place. Probably the defense will regress a little. Polamalu is not quite what he was a couple of years ago (don't get me wrong, he's still a force), and I don't know what the prognosis is for the D-line (but maybe someone here can take a shot of forecasting what that line might look like next year).

Two of the best coaches in the conference put these teams ahead of some others that have equal talent. That's another reason why I don't see Indy competing for the SB next year.

The Jets will be strong again, but they'll be a wild-card, as will the Ravens. The other teams in our divisions (Miami, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati) don't seem to me to be contender quality.

In the other divisions:

The Chargers got a career year out of Rivers, and didn't make the playoffs. And their coach doesn't seem to get the most out of them. KC had a nice year but played the easiest schedule in the league - they'll regress. Denver and Oakland - QB issues, coaching, thin roster. Oakland won't go 6-0 in the division again, which is the only reason they were a .500 team last year.

The non-Indy teams in the AFC south all have issues too. Maybe someone will emerge from that pack, but I'm not smart enough to know who that will be.

But there are surprise playoff teams every year, and often there's a worst-to-first team in each conference (like KC was last year). Cleveland might have been a good choice for that, but they got rid of Mangini. There's some nice talent on that team, but I don't know that a first-year coach will be able to get them over .500.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Backup

User Info Menu

Tip, that is a very nice post.

I see it coming down to the Pats and Steelers.

In the East I see the Jets taking a step back as that team is a time bomb waiting to go off. The Fins lack a QB and h ell, they tried to get rid of there coach only to be "stuck" with him as a second choice. The Bills are going to Canada

In the South it'll be the Colts again but I don't see them as any real threat to go to the SB. I can see the Jags hounding them. The Texans have been the "pick" to advance to the PO's for years and that has not happened and probably won't again this year.

In the West you have a cluster f uck. The Chargers will win the division but that's only because KC had a season which will not be repeated. The Raiders have another new head coach and Denver is a mess.

In the North you have a two team race once again. Either the Rats or Steelers will win the division with the other getting a WC. It will come down, again, to a Steelers/Rats game to advance to the AFCC game.

If I were making seeds today, I would probably go:

Pats
    Steelers
    Colts
    Chargers

As the division winners.

Jets
    Ravens

As the Wild Cards

Legend

User Info Menu

Classy Tip. No surprise there.

Can't predict next year, and I honestly feel that there won't be one anyway.

You have caused me to rethink my take on that team you cheer for. I promise that when Bellicheat and Marsha leave that I will quit calling them "the cheaters."

Until then.......
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]