Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Pouncey can't play, B.J. Raji may be Legursky’s nightmare

Legend

User Info Menu

If Pouncey can't play, B.J. Raji may be Legursky’s nightmare

Analyzing the Offensive Line: A Bravura Performance for the Steelers Tackles

Posted on January 27, 2011 by JJ

The Jets have one of the best defenses in the NFL, but there is something about Gang Green that seems to bring out the best in the Steelers offensive line.

The regular season game was probably the line’s best performance of the season. When it came to pass protection, the AFC Championship game was equally impressive. Rex Ryan’s defense really didn’t try to blitz much — the Jets rushed three players once and four defenders 17 times in 27 Steelers pass plays — and Pittsburgh’s tackles, backs and tight ends generally did a good job of figuring out where the disguised pressure was coming from.

By my count, the Jets only pressured Roethlisberger on eight of the 27 plays. And only one of those pressures came when New York sent five or more rushers. Even when Roethlisberger took off and ran for first downs, it was more because of the opportunity than being flushed from the pocket.

In the running game, the story wasn’t as simple as you may expect. Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 121 yards and the Steelers rushed for 166 as a team, but there still were plenty of problems in run blocking.

A lot of that can be blamed on predictability — in the second half Pittsburgh ran on 12 of 15 first and second-down plays (not counting the two botched snaps). New York knew the Steelers were trying to bleed the clock and brought everyone up to the line. As a result, Pittsburgh rushed for 23 yards on 11 designed running plays in the second half. A lot of the poor run blocking grades you see below came from that.

But even in the first half, Pittsburgh’s line was dominating as much as you may think. The tackles did an excellent job in the first half, especially Flozell Adams. Adams consistently sealed the inside edge or otherwise erased his man. Over on the other side, Jonathan Scott was as close to flawless as I’ve ever seen him. Scott gave up a sack, just like usual, but I had him blocking successfully on 34 of the first 35 plays. Most of Scott’s run blocks were on the backside as the Steelers ran predominantly to the right, but that’s a block that Scott has had plenty of trouble with in the past (remember the safety in the first Jets game).

The guards, Ramon Foster and Chris Kemoeatu, were hot and cold. They got some key blocks in the first half, but both struggled against defenses geared to stop the run in the second half.

If Maurkice Pouncey can’t go on Super Bowl Sunday, we got a sneak peek at the Doug Legursky experience. And to be frank, it wasn’t a pretty picture. Legursky shows good agility and he seems to have a very good knowledge of who he’s supposed to block. But he’s a poor matchup against a 3-4 defense as he seems to lack the functional strength to handle a strong nose tackle.

The best way to describe what happened to Legursky is he was “Mahan’d.” Maybe it wasn’t that bad, as I still wake up with nightmares of what Dewayne Robertson did to then-Steelers center Sean Mahan in the 2006 Steelers’ loss. But it sure wasn’t pretty.

Jets nose tackles generally either drove Legursky back a step or two (or more) or stalemated him in the hole. They then either flowed down the line toward the ball carrier (with Legursky still locked up but powerless to stop them) or they tossed him aside to either make the tackle or clog a hole. The Jets nose tackles always seemed to win the battle of hand position — they used their longer arms to grab Legursky before he could grab them.

Legursky seems to be a much better player when he plays in space; he has the quickness to get to the second level to block linebackers. Unfortunately for the Steelers, that won’t help him next week, as the Packers are a 3-4 team. If Pouncey can’t play, B.J. Raji would appear to be Legursky’s worst nightmare.

Enough talk, here’s a look at the numbers. I’ll go more in depth into the Super Bowl next week here and over at FanHouse.

Run Good Play Total Play PCT

Pouncey 7 7 100%
    Miller 7 7 100%
    Spaeth 2 2 100%
    Mendenhall 1 1 100%
    Moore 1 1 100%
    Redman 3 3 100%
    Adams 25 27 92.6%
    Foster 25 27 92.6%
    Scott 24 27 88.9%
    Kemoeatu 23 27 85.2%
    Legursky 14 19 73.7%
    Johnson 0 0 0.0%
    Essex 0 0 0.0%

Pass Good Play Total Play PCT

Scott 30 33 90.9%
    Pouncey 7 8 87.5%
    Miller 23 30 76.7%
    Johnson 12 16 75.0%
    Adams 23 33 69.7%
    Spaeth 11 16 68.8%
    Foster 22 33 66.7%
    Kemoeatu 22 33 66.7%
    Legursky 13 28 46.4%
    Essex 0 1 0.0%
    Mendenhall 0 0 0.0%
    Moore 0 0 0.0%
    Redman 0 0 0.0%

Total Good Play Total Play PCT Pressure Sacks

Mendenhall 1 1 100%
    Moore 1 1 100%
    Redman 3 3 100%
    Pouncey 14 15 93.3%
    Scott 54 60 90.0% 1
    Miller 30 37 81.1%
    Adams 48 60 80.0% 2
    Foster 47 60 78.3% 1
    Kemoeatu 45 60 75.0% 2 0.5
    Johnson 12 16 75.0%
    Spaeth 13 18 72.2%
    Legursky 27 47 57.5% 1 0.5
    Essex 0 1 0.0%

[url="http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/analyzing-offensive-line-survive-advance-2/"]http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/01/a ... advance-2/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: If Pouncey can't play, B.J. Raji may be Legursky’s nightmare

This sucks. I am getting depressed again. I hope we don't get embarrassed in the SB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletfire1970
    This sucks. I am getting depressed again. I hope we don't get embarrassed in the SB.
    embarrassed by a GB team that put up 14 points on offense? Yeah right!

Don't believe the ESPN hype.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

This will be Arien's final exam ... can he game plan to the game at hand, or just put together a game plan brilliant in isolation, but unsuited for the opponent of the moment.

Come on BA ... pulling for you!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' O-line battling through adversity

JAN 27
    By James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- By the end of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game, the Steelers were attempting to punch a ticket to Super Bowl XLV with four offensive linemen who were backups at the beginning of the season.

Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, Jonathan Scott and Doug Legursky all entered training camp without much fanfare or high expectations. But as offensive linemen continued to go down at different points of the season, this foursome was key to leading Pittsburgh to a 24-19 victory over the New York Jets.

On Sunday, the backups joined starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, who stayed healthy virtually from start to finish and started in 17 of Pittsburgh's 18 games, including the postseason. This patchwork group will be key against the Green Bay Packers' tough defense, which ranked No. 5 in the NFL this season.

Matthew Emmons/US Presswire
    If Maurkice Pouncey is unable to play, Doug Legursky (64) will start at center for Pittsburgh.

Blocking Packers defenders such as Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji will not be an easy task. But despite various injuries, the Steelers feel they are up for the challenge.

"I have all the faith in the world in those guys," said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has always been supportive of his offensive line. "The last time we were in Tampa [for Super Bowl XLIII] we had a 'makeshift line' and guys filled in. The standard, as coach [Mike Tomlin] says, doesn’t change. Guys know that."

Pittsburgh's MASH unit has battled through injuries well this season. Here is a breakdown:
    The Steelers suffered their first big loss on the offensive line in the spring when starting right tackle Willie Colon went down with a season-ending Achilles injury while working out. That led to the team signing 13-year veteran Flozell Adams, who will be playing in his first Super Bowl in the home stadium of his former team: the Dallas Cowboys.

Pittsburgh starting left tackle Max Starks suffered a season-ending neck injury in Week 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals and was put on injured reserve. He was replaced by Scott at left tackle for the past nine games.

And the most recent injury was to Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who suffered a high ankle sprain on the opening drive against the Jets. Legursky did a solid job filling in for almost the entire game and helped pave the way for tailback Rashard Mendenhall to rush for 121 yards and a touchdown against New York. Pouncey’s status for the Super Bowl is in question, as players who suffer high ankle sprains typically sit out four to six weeks.

Legursky could play a key role for the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. Despite being a rookie, Pouncey is Pittsburgh's best offensive lineman. If he cannot play, it would be a big loss in the middle of the offensive line.

Legursky would have the tough assignment blocking Raji, who is becoming one of the NFL's fastest rising stars and is having a breakout run through the playoffs.

"He's a playmaker. You've seen that through the playoffs alone," Legursky said of Raji. “He's a big, old guy, stout there in the middle and we’re going to have our hands full."

If Legursky doesn't start, he will remain one of the first subs off the bench. As Pittsburgh's most versatile lineman, Legursky has the ability to play center, guard, tackle and has played tight end this season in goal-line situations.

Legursky's blue-collar work ethic earned him a spot with the Steelers. Already cut once by Pittsburgh, Legursky entered training camp as a long shot behind Pouncey, a first-round draft pick, and last year's starter, Justin Hartwig.

But Pouncey's rapid development made Hartwig expendable and he was released, while Pittsburgh preferred Legursky's ability to play various positions. The AFC North blog asked Legursky this week if someone told him a few months ago he could start in a Super Bowl, what would be his reaction?

"I would have said you were crazy," Legursky responded.

Legursky isn't the only versatile player. Both Essex and Foster have the capability of playing both guard and tackle positions. Pouncey, when healthy, is a Pro Bowl center but also is a very good guard, as well. There have been times this season, due to injury, where players have been shifted around during games and it's hard to keep up with who's playing where.

"Looking at this group, to see what they've done with the multitude of positions and guys' versatility, I think it's one of the deepest in the NFL," said Starks, who will watch his teammates from the sideline this year.

Offensive skill players such as Roethlisberger, Mendenhall and receivers Mike Wallace and Hines Ward will get most of the acclaim leading up to the game. But the play of a versatile and battle-tested offensive line helped get Pittsburgh this far, and the Steelers need another solid effort for this group in Arlington, Texas, to win an NFL-best seventh Super Bowl title.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/23980/page/espntexas/steelers-o-line-battling-through-adversity"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -adversity[/url]

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Legursky is gonna kick Raji's azz!!!! Let's go Doug!!!!!
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

KEEP THE FAITH PEOPLE!!

We were a #6 seed on the road in '06 and have been lamenting
    our O line for YEARS...do not give up hope...ever!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Pull your head out of your "azz"... you're like one of these soccer moms, who "roots" for a team but has no idea about what is actually going on on the field. Something extremely creative has to be done, for Legursky to survive. If you expect Raji NOT to forklift Legursky into Ben's lap everytime they are man up, you are a moron.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Pull your head out of your "azz"... you're like one of these soccer moms, who "roots" for a team but has no idea about what is actually going on on the field. Something extremely creative has to be done, for Legursky to survive. If you expect Raji NOT to forklift Legursky into Ben's lap everytime they are man up, you are a moron.
    Aw, c'mon, man. You could have made your point without being an insulting d*ck
    about it...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Legend

User Info Menu

Essex is line's Mr. Versatile

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Thursday January 27, 2011

PITTSBURGH — Trai Essex is the poster child for what Steelers’ coach Mike Tomlin calls “position flexibility.”

“I’m the backup everything on the O-line,” Essex said.

Essex has started 25 games during his six-year career with the Steelers. He started four games at left tackle in 2004 in place of Marvel Smith. Last year, Essex started all 16 games at right guard, and he started five games there earlier this season.

Essex lost his starting job at right guard at midseason to Ramon Foster. But Essex still has been getting his share of snaps at both guard and tackle due to injuries on the offensive line.

And now that rookie center Maurkice Pouncey is doubtful for the Super Bowl with a high ankle sprain, Essex’s versatility is expanding.

With Pouncey doubtful, it’s looking more like Doug Legursky will start against the Packers at center. That means Essex is now also Legursky’s backup.

It also means if any of the five starters on the O-line are injured in the Super Bowl, Essex will be his replacement.

“I’ve taken some snaps at center the past few days, so I’ll be ready if I have to go in,” Essex said.

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/27/essex-is-lines-mr-versatile.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... atile.html[/url]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha