Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can anyone discuss our O line play today?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Can anyone discuss our O line play today?

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    The running game looked better than the stats because Mendenhall took what was there and stuck his nose into the pile without doing the stupid spin move every time he got the ball. The spin move was becoming something I hated to see, once in a while is fine, but not every 2 out of 3 plays. I liked the way he ran today.

Pappy
    Yes, that spin move was grating on my nerves too. Now that you mention it, that may be why he looked so much stronger yesterday. Maybe his coach is telling him to can the spin move - it's not college anymore.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    The running game looked better than the stats because Mendenhall took what was there and stuck his nose into the pile without doing the stupid spin move every time he got the ball. The spin move was becoming something I hated to see, once in a while is fine, but not every 2 out of 3 plays. I liked the way he ran today.

Pappy
    Yes, that spin move was grating on my nerves too. Now that you mention it, that may be why he looked so much stronger yesterday. Maybe his coach is telling him to can the spin move - it's not college anymore.
    we placed bets on how many spins Mend would have before games.

Nothing wrong with spinning but damn... there we times Mend tried to spin on 3 guys when he was going out of bounds. just run out of bounds LOL
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan

Pappy
    we placed bets on how many spins Mend would have before games.

Nothing wrong with spinning but damn... there we times Mend tried to spin on 3 guys when he was going out of bounds. just run out of bounds LOL
    One week early in the season a friend of mine and I played the drinking game based on Mendy. Every time he did the spin move we had to do a shot. I remember Mendy doing 3 spin moves on one play. I don't remember much after that. I haven't been that drunk since we played the same game based on when Hines smiles a few years ago.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pappy
    If you have recorded the games, it has been several weeks that Mendenhall has not used the spin move. I haven't gone to the trouble of trying to pinpoint the exact game he stopped. But I do think he received a mandate from the coaching staff that they did not want him to do it.

I actually didn't mind it because there were times that a well executed spin can be quite elusive and gain an opening and some extra yards, but since he seemed to use it so often, perhaps it had become a crutch that they wanted to take away.

I think he has so much ability that he should have a higher YPC. He sometimes doesn't hit the hole as aggressively as he could at times. Other times yes. I think he is adjusting his style, still, to running without using a spin move, and I hope he can be a bigger factor in the post-season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

To go back to the original part of this thread, before the personal insults reigned down and we got drunk on Mendy spin moves. I too thought for th epast three games, our O-line was workign very well. Ben was getting plenty of time to pass when needed, Mendy was getting some big holes to run through every so often, it really has looked like a totally different line. Now, whether that is a result of the play calling or them gelling, i don't know for sure, but there is a noticible difference.

Legend

User Info Menu

Playoff newcomers excited

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
    Posted Jan 3, 2011

You can’t blame Jonathan Scott for still having a smile on his face on Monday, the day after the Steelers won the AFC North. After all, since coming into the NFL in 2006 not only has Scott not been in the playoffs, he has never even been on a winning team.

Scott, who signed a one-year deal with the Steelers this offseason, was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 2006 and spent two seasons there, going 3-13 and 7-9. He signed with the Buffalo Bills late in 2008 and they finished 7-9 and in 2009 the Bills were 6-10.

“It’s an amazing feeling being able to look at the whole spectrum of the league and see there are only 12 teams left. That is it and we are one of them,” said Scott. “Now we are at a point where we have to go out there and continue to do what we are doing and strive to be the best.”

He credits the attitude among Steelers players with being the driving force in them making the post-season and putting them in position to make a Super Bowl run.

“I like that everyone knows they are going to win,” said Scott. “That attitude shows when you are out on the field with everyone. It’s expected. It gives you a great deal of confidence knowing we are going to come out with a victory, the next guy is going to give his all. It’s always refreshing to know someone is battling for you and fighting to get a ‘W’ for you.
    “This team has a lot of resilience, a lot of fight mentally and physically. As you can see it’s carried all of the way into January.”

Scott, who was sporting his AFC North Champs t-shirt, said he never experienced an attitude like the one in the Steelers locker room since he has been in the NFL and it reminds him of the way things were at the University of Texas.

“I am having glimpses of what it was like when we won a National Championship when I was back in school,” said Scott. “This is a feeling I remember and a feeling I love to have. We have to keep it rolling.”

Linebacker Stephenson Sylvester is fortunate to experience the playoffs as a rookie, and after growing up watching games he is looking forward to being on the other side of it.

“Being a fan in the years before, in college and high school, and watching the NFL so much and now you are a part of the playoffs, is great,” said Sylvester.

Many of the veterans have been sharing advice with the younger players, letting them know what to expect this time of year.

“Things intensify in December and January,” said Sylvester. “The coaches and veterans tell us about it, that the play is different, the energy, games are closer. You have to go out each game and know every play can have an effect on the game.”

The dates won’t be known until spring, but the Steelers do know who they will be playing in 2011. The following are the team’s opponents for next season:

Home: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks.

Away: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers.

[url="http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-57c2e4326c9e"]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-57c2e4326c9e[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha