Thread: Declared for the draft thread

Declared for the draft thread

Longhorn CB to leave Austin
    True junior cornerback Aaron Williams has decided to leave school a year early to enter the 2011 NFL Draft.

In separate statements, Williams and head coach Mack Brown made all of the obligatory respectful remarks about how much they will miss each other. It has also been revealed Williams received a first/second round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, which was expected given his 6-1, 195-pound frame and extensive starting experience.

Williams is not only similar to former 'Horns Cedric Griffin and Aaron Ross, both top 50 picks, but also to Colorado's Jimmy Smith, one of the top senior corners in this year's draft. Teams looking for taller corners who can handle large NFL receivers outside and support the run will take a hard look at Smith and Williams.

However, the difference between being a first and second round pick may have slipped through Williams' hands throughout the season. He was named second-team All-Big 12 after breaking up 12 passes this fall, but several of those PBUs were catchable passes. Another year in Austin with more consistent playmaking could have pushed his draft stock into the top 15 overall selections.

Now Williams will join NFL teams in waiting for other top junior corners like LSU's Patrick Peterson, Florida's Janoris Jenkins, Miami (Fl) Brandon Harris, and Virginia's Chase Minnifield, to see how he stacks up in this year's class.

--Contributed by NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Chad Reuter
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Re: Declared for the draft thread

Temple's Wilkerson on the Move
    Temple junior defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson told the Philly Sports Daily Report on New Year's Eve that he will enter the NFL draft.

The departure of Owls head coach Al Golden to Miami (Fla.) certainly had a part in Wilkerson's decision, but NFL scouts would have been interested in the versatile 6-5, 300-pound talent in any case. He ranked third on the team's defense with 70 tackles, which included 13 for loss, and 9.5 sacks.

Wilkerson's combination of size and athleticism are obvious to anyone watching the first-team All-MAC pick this season. His agility is impressive for his size, as is his hustle to close on ballcarriers in the backfield or track them down from behind (his 70 tackles are a high number for a defensive lineman). He also has the versatility to play as either a 3-4 DE or 4-3 three-technique tackle. Though still needing to get stronger and raw in his abiliity to get off blocks with his hands against better offensive lineman, NFL coaches can't wait to work with him.

Last spring, East Carolina junior tackle Linval Joseph brought a similar skill set to the draft a year early. The Giants selected him with the 46th overall selection. Other scouts may compare Wilkerson to former first-round pick Kentwan Balmer. Therefore, there's no reason to expect this young, promising talent to be available after the second round has closed.

--Contributed by NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Chad Reuter
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

(1/2/11): Pair of top RBs enter draft … Junior RBs Shane Vereen of California and UConn’s Jordan Todman both announced late last night that they will be skipping their senior seasons and entering the 2011 NFL draft. Vereen is considered to be a late first or early second prospect, while Todman is a later second day possibility.

Terp WR to go pro … Maryland junior WR Torrey Smith announced after the Terrapins' 51-20 Military Bowl victory over East Carolina that he would be entering the 2011 draft. The in the Military Bowl on Wednesday. The 6-1, 205-pound Smith, who reportedly runs in a sub-4.4 40, caught 67 passes for over 1,000 yards this season and is considered to be a second round prospect who could move up into the latter part of the opening round if he runs as expected at the combine.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Hall of Famer

Add Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA and Brandon Burton CB Utah to the list.

Here is a great resource that keeps track of all the declared players as they declare...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011 ... assmen.php
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Malcolm Floyd had a good game against Harris in their bowl game, but in Harris' defense Floyd is an absolute stud.

Miami Hurricanes’ Brandon Harris enters NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2011, 2:39 PM EST

University of Miami cornerback Brandon Harris is entering the 2011 NFL draft.

Harris, a three-year starter, said the NFL draft advisory board told him “some good things and what I wanted to hear,” although he wouldn’t say in which round he was told he should expect to be chosen.

“This decision is about what is best for me and my family at this point in my life,” Harris added. ”I am confident that I can achieve all my goals at the next level and I am ready to begin that pursuit.”

Harris was an All-ACC pick the last two seasons and is an athlete with first-round talent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nfl-draft/