Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Real Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

A Real Offense

Was watching the Packers-Giants game closely to see the formations and plays the Pack used in the red zone against the Giants. On almost all of their red zone scores, they used play action with 1 or 2 backs and PASSED out of those formations. Seems to me the Steelers do very little of this. Is it a case where the blocking is just to poor to execute correctly? It's just frustrating, the Steelers could do so much more with the players they have.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: A Real Offense

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Was watching the Packers-Giants game closely to see the formations and plays the Pack used in the red zone against the Giants. On almost all of their red zone scores, they used play action with 1 or 2 backs and PASSED out of those formations. Seems to me the Steelers do very little of this. Is it a case where the blocking is just to poor to execute correctly? It's just frustrating, the Steelers could do so much more with the players they have.

And that player you saw yesterday who was let go by the Steelers.

I am trying to not turn this into a BA sucks response. Not doing so well though.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Banned

User Info Menu

vs the Giants? Not impressed. LOL

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan

And that player you saw yesterday who was let go by the Steelers.

I am trying to not turn this into a BA sucks response. Not doing so well though.
    The Pack have won a ton of playoff games and SB's lately

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wouldn't using almost all play action in the red zone be predictable to some fans? Just sayin.

I don't get caught up into predictability. I believe every team functions with some level of predictability. I believe there are staple plays in every offense. It's really the nature of the game. I believe that because teams can only practice a certain number of plays and execute those plays well.

I do know Steelers pass off of play action. They also attempt to set up plays based off of passes or runs. I'll give an example, there were times they would come out in series and run the ball 2 or 3 times. Then they attempted to pass off of play action.

I believe they changed some things up vs the Jets. They ran more out of the shot gun formation more then I ever remember. The probably did that because some of the things the Jets did defensively and because of the Steelers tendency to pass a majority of time out of the formation. They had some success running the ball out of shot gun. Even though fans can't recognize short term or long term plans, they do have plans and change things up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why change anything we do in the redzone?
    You mean the 5 wideout sets arent cutting it for you?
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete
    Why change anything we do in the redzone?
    You mean the 5 wideout sets arent cutting it for you?
    IMO, the biggest issue in the red zone was/is execution.

Backup

User Info Menu

How did that offense look against Detroit when Rogers went out? I would love to see them call plays behind the Steelers OL. The Steelers are starting a LT that the Bills did not even want.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

We run too much on first down in the red zone. Thats the biggest weakness we have. When we don't gain much on first down? Its 2nd and pass.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are <> close. But a basic change in philosophy is needed.

1. Three wide base offense.

2. Field Turf.

Those two adjustments are what we need.