Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have film on Jonathan Scott's big bad error?

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone have film on Jonathan Scott's big bad error?

The one where first Kugs chewed him out, then Tomlin, then he threw his helmet, then apparently came back with a big heart and tried to make it right (props to Chadman for noticing that last bit)? I know a play got blown up, with a jailbreak up the middle, but I wanted to see how it happened.

The only tape I could find on youtube using this search term: " jonathan scott error against the panthers " is here, where he flubs the 3rd ostinato in the 2nd movement:

[youtube:2n81sp6r]/v/DDd6rYKYoB0?fs=1[/youtube:2n81sp6r]

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone have film on Jonathan Scott's big bad error?

I don't have the film, but Mike Mayock on NFL.com broke it down with the telestrator. Apparently he blew two assignments on the very first drive. I think it was even the same play both times if I recall.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I was Essex I would be pissed. Guy gets benched twice in two games, throws his helmet like a little child, Essex fills in pretty nicely, then Scott is back in there the next series.

I was watching Scott when he went back in and he flat out sucks. I am tired of these huge fat bohemoths that can't move at all.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

It has got to be clear to everyone by now. Outside of Pouncey the Steelers OL is filled with "plodders" and dozers. It has to be the main reason why we see very few screen passes to a running back. Those guys on the line just cannot move quick enough to the point of attack. It is also why we struggle mightily with agile quick rushers.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    It has got to be clear to everyone by now. Outside of Pouncey the Steelers OL is filled with "plodders" and dozers. It has to be the main reason why we see very few screen passes to a running back. Those guys on the line just cannot move quick enough to the point of attack. It is also why we struggle mightily with agile quick rushers.
    This is one of the more frustrating things to me about the Steeler's offense, improper use of personnel.

Why they ask these guys to work outside their skillset is beyond me. Our linemen are BIG, STRONG, & PHYSICAL, yet the Steeler's scheme requires them to constantly move laterally for blocks. These guys need need to come off the ball moving forward, not pulling, & not trapping. Other than Pouncey who is right around 300, Flo, Foster, Kemo, & Starks are all 330-340. They should be put into a scheme that allows them to be road-graders.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Backup

User Info Menu

This is one of the more frustrating things to me about the Steeler's offense, improper use of personnel.

Why they ask these guys to work outside their skillset is beyond me. Our linemen are BIG, STRONG, & PHYSICAL, yet the Steeler's scheme requires them to constantly move laterally for blocks. These guys need need to come off the ball moving forward, not pulling, & not trapping. Other than Pouncey who is right around 300, Flo, Foster, Kemo, & Starks are all 330-340. They should be put into a scheme that allows them to be road-graders.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am tired of these huge fat bohemoths that can't move at all.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize

Pete
    I'd really like to agree with you on this. Unfortunately, these guys (as big as they are) keep showing that they are pretty poor with run blocking in general. They get almost no push off the line. Look at how we struggle on short yardage, no surge at all. For some reason, as big and slow as they are, they are actually doing better with pass blocking than run blocking. I can't understand it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know people want to talk about how we went to and won our last S.B. with a sub-par offensive line in the past but, these guys today are much worse in my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize

Pete
    I'd really like to agree with you on this. Unfortunately, these guys (as big as they are) keep showing that they are pretty poor with run blocking in general. They get almost no push off the line. Look at how we struggle on short yardage, no surge at all. For some reason, as big and slow as they are, they are actually doing better with pass blocking than run blocking. I can't understand it.
    To suggest that out coaches don't use players to their skill set suggests they don't know what they are doing. I believe our coaches know what they are doing. They evaluate these players and know more about their strengths and weaknesses then any of us.

I am pretty certain they do several things well. They have a problem executing plays or doing those things well consistently. Sometimes those issues boil down to mental errors or flat out getting beat in a one on one match ups. The mental errors are probably easier to correct. Getting beat in the physical aspect probably boils down to talent.

All things considered, I think the Oline has done fairly well with a cast of mostly backups.