Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben's return hasn't boosted Steelers as expected

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Big Ben's return hasn't boosted Steelers as expected

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Article is good as far as it goes, but it doesn't explain why the DEFENSE has played worse since Roethlisberger returned. Yes, it hurt some to lose Keisel and Smith, but it's more than just the loss of those two players. It's players and scheme and game-plan and play-calling....but I have to wonder if there also wasn't somewhat of a psychological letdown when Ben came back. When he was out, perhaps they raised their game up a notch or three, because they knew they had to in order to win. But with Superman back in the lineup, maybe the expectation was that he would carry the team, so they backed off.
    It didn't help that about that time, Dictator Goodell began his ridiculous assault on the Steeler's defensive aggressiveness.

In ANY event, I hope the Steelers DON'T treat their recent losses as Cowher suggests, as
    an "abberation." I hope they ask hard questions and look for answers and make changes to make this team better before the season slips away from them.
    I don't think the defensive problems are an aberation. They are more like a recurring trend against teams with good QBs and in some cases not so good QBs.

The #1 problem is that the pass rush is failing and we are exposing the defensive backs. That is why I cannot understand why we continue to rush 3. Makes no sense at all. This defense is totally dependent on the pass rush or it doesn't work. It never has worked without a dominant pass rush but LeBeau didn't blitz or at least rush 4 like a 4-3 defense. Real headscratcher.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

just seems odd that we drop 8 and guys are WIDE OPEN.

when other teams drop 8 on us... everyone is covered.... it would be nice to see a WR catch a pass 5 yards down field and make someone miss.

We don't have any shakers or movers in our passing game. It's speed and straight lines.

I like what Wallace is doing.... but he was popped something awful underneath, definitely needs to adjust if he wants to play out a full season.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

That is exactly what I've been saying all season!!!!

Arianus is a stubborn mule, and is so friggin repetitive it's comical...

It's so comical, he's the laughing stock of the defenseive coaches!!!

"It can't be this easy" said one, unnamed defensive coach....

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    just seems odd that we drop 8 and guys are WIDE OPEN.
    That's because our DB's give them a 7-yard cushion...almost like being in a prevent all the time. Also, we do little to disrupt routes or timing by smacking receivers within 5 yards of the LOS. So any QB that can pass with precision is going to always be able to find someone open on a short route. The only hope we have is for their receivers to get the dropsies, OR for our pass rush to force the QB into early or errant throws. IF we could bring some pressure, we might have some success. But we can't seem to be able to do that.

when other teams drop 8 on us... everyone is covered.... it would be nice to see a WR catch a pass 5 yards down field and make someone miss.

We don't have any shakers or movers in our passing game. It's speed and straight lines.
    Not sure our WR's are inferior in those respects to those of other teams (although I would like to see El benched and Sanders and Brown given more looks) . But vs. the teams we play, for the most part, their DB's don't give us the 7-yard cushion. If and when they DO loosen up coverage (as per late in the NE game), you will see that Ben has little trouble finding his receivers. I think if our offense was playing against our defense, Ben would pick the D apart.

I like what Wallace is doing.... but he was popped something awful underneath, definitely needs to adjust if he wants to play out a full season.
    Wallace is a star in the making. It would help to have more consistent play from our #3 WR spot (El).

Legend

User Info Menu

The title of this article is misleading and was written purely for sensationalistic purposes.

Pretending or alluding to Big Ben’s return as not boosting the team is disingenuous when he’s playing behind a line decimated by injuries (guys starting who wouldn’t catch a whiff of the field on other teams) and a defense missing one of their top 2 players at any position as well as another starting DE.

Ben isn’t responsible for Gay not being able to cover a rookie tight end or make tackles or BMac not really covering anyone ever.

When they face a quality QB; it’s unrealistic to expect Ben to win in a shoot out behind this line. The D has to find a way to slow teams down and not let them get back in a game if they have a nice lead.

This week we need to see the Steelers throttle the raiders. Continue to score. I don’t care if it gets oout of hand – continue to score and practice putting the ball in when it’s first and goal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I find it funny that Vic called Willie a guard. What season did Willie play guard for us again?

Legend

User Info Menu

Wilcots thinks the solution is to restore balance to the offense.
    When did they stop restoring balance to the offense? When they were down 23-3?

Idiots like Wilcots look at rushing attempts and think just because we run more that means we are running well.

Soloman also played for LeBeau, he won't bash him either.

"They've got to develop the offense and its flexibility and not be overanxious to be explosive at the expense of being ball-control," Wilcots said
    We run the ball on 70% of 1st downs. And this dimwit thinks we are being "overanxious" to be explosive?

Article is good as far as it goes, but it doesn't explain why the DEFENSE has played worse since Roethlisberger returned.
    Let's see: Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Vince Young, Joe Flacco.

vs.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy

I think list #2 has better QBs than list #1 does based on Brees and Brady alone.

The Steelers are at their best when they have an early lead and are able to pound the ball on the ground.
    Yeah, and how do they get that lead? By throwing the _)(*&)(* ball.

But now? We are too worried about running it.

70% runs on first down. That leaves a lot of second and predictable when you get a ton of 0-2 yard runs.

And how many times has Ben read blitz and gotten rid of it, only for his WR to let him down and not read the same coverage?

It's happened at least five times since he's been back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    70% runs on first down. That leaves a lot of second and predictable when you get a ton of 0-2 yard runs.
    Agree. With the personnel we have, we might find it much more effective to pass to set up the run. Clearly, it's not working so well for us the other way around.

Mendy looks to me to be a lot more of a home-run hitter than a grind it out, wear 'em down kind of back. We need to quit trying to make him Jerome Bettis. Get the opposing defense playing pass, and THEN turn him loose.

Legend

User Info Menu

They can't play pass as long as we continue to have Spaeth and Johnson on the field.

That's why I want three wide and Miller as the base offense. You don't know what's coming. It's the best formation in football IMO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wait, so our offense is still struggling, even with Ben back???

Who on earth would have seen that coming??