Thread: Report: NFL will have all officials on conference call

Report: NFL will have all officials on conference call

Report: NFL will have all officials on conference call

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... rence_call

The NFL wants to make sure it gets it right.

To that end, the league will have every official from every crew on a conference call on Friday to get what sounds like a pep talk from the leagie.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports the “rare, if not unprecedented” call will be held after a weekend of controversial calls, missed calls and blown reviews. It’s not uncommon for the league’s referees to be on a call, but this one will have every official.

The NFL admitted that referee Scott Green blew a touchdown for Minnesota’s Visanthe Shiancoe(notes) when the score was wiped out following an incorrect video replay. There was also the controversial call in Miami where Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) fumbled the ball into the end zone. That call changed the outcome of the game too.

What good can come from an in-season teleconference? We’re not sure. But it does send a message that the NFL is intent on having its games called as accurately as possible.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Report: NFL will have all officials on conference call

Isn't anyone on here savvy enough to hack this conversation? I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Isn't anyone on here savvy enough to hack this conversation? I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

The league stands behind it's referees and their level of competence ~ sort of.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    There was also the controversial call in Miami where Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) fumbled the ball into the end zone. That call changed the outcome of the game too.
    Wrong.

Had the call gone Miami's way, they would have taken the ball at the 20, gone three and out after three running plays followed by two Steeler timeouts and the two-minute warning.

Then after a Miami punt and an unnecessary ARE fair catch, the Steelers would have started at their own 33 with 1:40 left and one timeout in their pocket.

They would have driven to the Miami 25, and Skippy would have shanked a 42 yard field goal with 14 seconds left.

Sure the Steelers would have lost, but it would have been because Reed choked, not because Miami received the "correct" call in the end zone.

Maybe I'm dense, but what exactly did the officials do wrong in the Pittsburgh game?

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Maybe I'm dense, but what exactly did the officials do wrong in the Pittsburgh game?
    Signaled TD even though Ben had not crossed the plane.

After that they did it all right.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.

But I was in agreement with them even after I saw the first couple of replays. I kept saying it was a TD. Especially looking at the one from behind the official who signalled touchdown. It was only after the 3rd replay shown from the back of the end zone did I start throwing things.

So I thought the officials did a good job on the play. I do understand people didn't like the ruling but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. Same with the 'tuck' rule. I didn't like that call but it's in the books.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.

But I was in agreement with them even after I saw the first couple of replays. I kept saying it was a TD. Especially looking at the one from behind the official who signalled touchdown. It was only after the 3rd replay shown from the back of the end zone did I start throwing things.

So I thought the officials did a good job on the play. I do understand people didn't like the ruling but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. Same with the 'tuck' rule. I didn't like that call but it's in the books.
    Yea, total agreement . . . Officials are frequently wrong and get it right on replay, which is what happened here. If people don't like the rules, fine, but the officials did nothing wrong on that play. They got the initial call fixed and followed replay rules to a T.