Quote Originally Posted by williar
I wouldn't cut anybody. I like this team just the way it is, of course, with a healthy Aaron Smith. Lebeau is a creative guy. We've got a ton of linebackers in need of more playing time. I would let LaMarr Woodley rotate some at defensive end. He could do it. He played some DE in the superbowl during the last drive when he forced the fumble on Warner. Rotate Worilds and Gibson in at DE too. These guys were all DE's in college. Isn't this what position flexibility is all about. I'm very serious. I think this could be an effect way to remedy the lack of depth on the line until Smith hopefully can return.
There is a HUGE difference between playing DE in a 4-3 (which is what these guys did in college) and playing DE in a 3-4. There is a reason that we take 4-3 DE's and make them 3-4 OLB's and take 4-3 DT's and make them 3-4 DE's. Our 3-4 ends need to be in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. (with a +/- of 15 lbs. being an acceptable range) in order to be able to take on the double teams that our scheme requires. The only times Woodley, Worilds, or Gibson will be playing any DE for us will be in nickel and dime passing situations in a 4 man front where they can pin their ears back and rush the passer. None of those guys fit the description of what is required of a DE in our standard 3-4 set.