Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tough roster decision looming for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Tough roster decision looming for Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by williar
    I wouldn't cut anybody. I like this team just the way it is, of course, with a healthy Aaron Smith. Lebeau is a creative guy. We've got a ton of linebackers in need of more playing time. I would let LaMarr Woodley rotate some at defensive end. He could do it. He played some DE in the superbowl during the last drive when he forced the fumble on Warner. Rotate Worilds and Gibson in at DE too. These guys were all DE's in college. Isn't this what position flexibility is all about. I'm very serious. I think this could be an effect way to remedy the lack of depth on the line until Smith hopefully can return.
    There is a HUGE difference between playing DE in a 4-3 (which is what these guys did in college) and playing DE in a 3-4. There is a reason that we take 4-3 DE's and make them 3-4 OLB's and take 4-3 DT's and make them 3-4 DE's. Our 3-4 ends need to be in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. (with a +/- of 15 lbs. being an acceptable range) in order to be able to take on the double teams that our scheme requires. The only times Woodley, Worilds, or Gibson will be playing any DE for us will be in nickel and dime passing situations in a 4 man front where they can pin their ears back and rush the passer. None of those guys fit the description of what is required of a DE in our standard 3-4 set.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    By league rules, he is PS eligible.
    I saw one of the writers at the trib suggest the same thing. How can he still be PS eligible? He's been in the league for more than a few seasons. Doesn't that zap his eligibility? I'd have to imagine that he has been active for 9 games over that time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I'll say it first...Anthony Madison. He may be consider "one of the best..." But when you are a "one of" that means there are others who can do the job too. Madison offers nothing as a position player on the field when every other name mentioned does.

No way do I cut and risk losing young players like Hills, Gibson, Dwyer or Butler to keep Madison.
    Why Anthony Madison and not Battle? Battle similarly offers very little as a position player, and Madison is a better special teams player. Just look at the Steelers stats last year with Madison vs. without.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I'll say it first...Anthony Madison. He may be consider "one of the best..." But when you are a "one of" that means there are others who can do the job too. Madison offers nothing as a position player on the field when every other name mentioned does.

No way do I cut and risk losing young players like Hills, Gibson, Dwyer or Butler to keep Madison.
    Why Anthony Madison and not Battle? Battle similarly offers very little as a position player, and Madison is a better special teams player. Just look at the Steelers stats last year with Madison vs. without.
    Total amount of active games and never being on the PS. I think he is still eligible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Those teams did not have Will Allen, Arnez Battle, Sly Stevenson and jason Worilds. Big difference and you could lose Madison and still have a strong special teams roster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Those teams did not have Will Allen, Arnez Battle, Sly Stevenson and jason Worilds. Big difference and you could lose Madison and still have a strong special teams roster.
    Why not Battle? Do you see him as a superior special teams talent?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed, those guys are all an improvement over what we had last year. But how much does Battle offer in the receiving game? If he catches 5 passes, I'd be shocked.

Madison's special teams play is well regarded, and the coverage units have been very effective. Why mess with that to keep Battle?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Why not Battle? Do you see him as a superior special teams talent?

what does Arnaz Battle have so far this season, two special teams tackles? sounds like he's replaceable to me!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with Batch.
    No team would sign him, so he'll be around of something happens to Ben or Lefty.
    He's been rewarded for his services with extra weeks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cut ARE, he brings nothing to the table IMHO.
    8 receptions on the year..

I hope I have to eat my words, but I doubt it