Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tough roster decision looming for Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tough roster decision looming for Steelers

Why isn't Batch name mentioned? They can promote him to coach or something.

Backup

User Info Menu

Battle or ARE!!!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    Why isn't Batch name mentioned? They can promote him to coach or something.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cut Batch. I doubt anyone will sign him. He'll probably still be available if we need him down the stretch. I really think we need to protect our excellent draft class.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll say it first...Anthony Madison. He may be consider "one of the best..." But when you are a "one of" that means there are others who can do the job too. Madison offers nothing as a position player on the field when every other name mentioned does.

No way do I cut and risk losing young players like Hills, Gibson, Dwyer or Butler to keep Madison.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I'll say it first...Anthony Madison. He may be consider "one of the best..." But when you are a "one of" that means there are others who can do the job too. Madison offers nothing as a position player on the field when every other name mentioned does.

No way do I cut and risk losing young players like Hills, Gibson, Dwyer or Butler to keep Madison.

I agree with your logic, but our special teams are better with Madison. There is some empirical evidence to back that up. It would be hard for this staff to cut him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cutting Batch or Lefty would be the easy choice if it was short term. Neither would have to pass through the waiver system and by "hand shake & nod" they would be retained.

The problem here is this, more than likely, will be for 8 weeks or more. Even with Keisel healthy, they need another. Interesting thing is if Battle, Madison, or a LB go down...No shuffle would have to be made. Don't forget, they have another roster decision in two weeks with Chris Scott. Although his will be easier because they can put him on IR if so desired or release/sign to PS.

I honestly don't think Gibson, Dwyer, or Butler clear waivers. There are teams looking for those positions. Battle makes the most sense between the lines but not financially. Steelers are on the hook for his contract & his signing bonus. However, he makes some sense since there is a body behind him. Brown would be active gameday and although Battle is a solid ST player I think the team is better with both Sanders & Brown active. Madison's numbers are more appealing but I would grade Madison out as the better ST player. I have been watching the 2 since they are ST roster spots and add very little position value.

Which brings me to my choice. Hills came to my mind too while I thought about this. He showed improvement this year but I believe he has many factors working against him. He is in the last year of his deal. There is no CBA in place and a threat of a lockout, but even if there was...I'm not sure he would be a priority. By league rules, he is PS eligible. McClendon coming up will open a spot. Hills doesn't have much position flexibilty. Essex & J Scott gives them swing tackles. Adams injury doesn't look long term and Essex is healthy enough to dress. Even if Adams doesn't play Sunday, Foster & Essex could dress. And the biggest reason, the Steelers are carrying 54 on the roster and number #54 is practicing full. They have 2 weeks remaining (I believe) to carry #54 and he is an OL. C Scott's roster exemption gives the Steelers more time and flexibilty.

If I'm making this call, I'm releasing Tony Hills, promoting McClendon from the PS. If Hills clears waivers, I sign him to the PS. When a decision has to be make on C Scott, things might change and the decision could be obvious. But for now, I'm using the system.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Cutting Batch or Lefty would be the easy choice if it was short term. Neither would have to pass through the waiver system and by "hand shake & nod" they would be retained.

The problem here is this, more than likely, will be for 8 weeks or more. Even with Keisel healthy, they need another. Interesting thing is if Battle, Madison, or a LB go down...No shuffle would have to be made. Don't forget, they have another roster decision in two weeks with Chris Scott. Although his will be easier because they can put him on IR if so desired or release/sign to PS.

I honestly don't think Gibson, Dwyer, or Butler clear waivers. There are teams looking for those positions. Battle makes the most sense between the lines but not financially. Steelers are on the hook for his contract & his signing bonus. However, he makes some sense since there is a body behind him. Brown would be active gameday and although Battle is a solid ST player I think the team is better with both Sanders & Brown active. Madison's numbers are more appealing but I would grade Madison out as the better ST player. I have been watching the 2 since they are ST roster spots and add very little position value.

Which brings me to my choice. Hills came to my mind too while I thought about this. He showed improvement this year but I believe he has many factors working against him. He is in the last year of his deal. There is no CBA in place and a threat of a lockout, but even if there was...I'm not sure he would be a priority. By league rules, he is PS eligible. McClendon coming up will open a spot. Hills doesn't have much position flexibilty. Essex & J Scott gives them swing tackles. Adams injury doesn't look long term and Essex is healthy enough to dress. Even if Adams doesn't play Sunday, Foster & Essex could dress. And the biggest reason, the Steelers are carrying 54 on the roster and number #54 is practicing full. They have 2 weeks remaining (I believe) to carry #54 and he is an OL. C Scott's roster exemption gives the Steelers more time and flexibilty.

If I'm making this call, I'm releasing Tony Hills, promoting McClendon from the PS. If Hills clears waivers, I sign him to the PS. When a decision has to be make on C Scott, things might change and the decision could be obvious. But for now, I'm using the system.
    You are hired!

Nice job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

Great analysis and I'd have no problem with cutting Hills and trying to get him on the PS. I'd still be totally OK with cutting Madison though.

No way I even consider for a second Dwyer, Gibson or Butler.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

First choice is Batch. He isn't going anywhere if he is cut, who else would want him when you have guys like Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, and Josh McCown playing in the UFL. As much as we love CB here, he has not played much in many years and he was never that great to start with. He has no value outside of Pittsburgh, and only because he knows our offense so well.