Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason Worilds is not a bust!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Jason Worilds is not a bust!

DERP.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    seems like Worilds only has the one speed pass rush but he's young and can learn other moves. nevertheless, Miami's OT Vernon Carey had a hard time handling Worilds' speed.

this draft class could turn out to be the Pittsburgh Steelers team for the next decade: Worilds, Pouncey, Sanders, Gibson, Sylvester, Brown, Butler and Dwyer are looking damn good.

our future is so bright we gotta wear shades...

I agree about the draft class. I think it was our best in a long while. I love Sylvestor and Brown as late steals. Sylvestor could eventually be a starter and Brown will be a fantastic slot receiver.

I do disagree that Carey had trouble with Worilds. I thought Carey generally neutralized him. Worilds made that last play because Henne left the pocket. It was a great play, but he didn't really beat Carey. I know this comment will open me to more attacks from those who think that my honest assessment is automatically a bust declaration. But, it isn't. Carey is a very good RT. And, I think Worilds will eventually expand his game so he can vary his moves and add some more power. He definitely has good potential and has really made a few smashes on special teams. Plus, his name is really cool.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it will be interesting to see what happens if Woodley is out next week...does Worilds start in his place or does Timmons move outside and Foote goes inside?
    Yes it will.
    From the outside looking in, I would go with the Timmons to OLB option you described. But as you said, if they give Worilds the shot, it will show how much they like the kid and how well he's showing in practices.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    DERP.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

it will be interesting to see what happens if Woodley is out next week...does Worilds start in his place or does Timmons move outside and Foote goes inside?

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a little bit of both. When Foote was in we saw some of the crossing blitz with Farrior, for some reason I haven't seen them use that much when Timmons is in. (no idea why) I think Timmons can play either spot and if he gets reps on the outside he'll get to the passer.

Worilds has great speed so I'd like to see him get some significant playing time as well. I don't know how we do it, but it never seems to fail that we always have great linebackers waiting in the wings waiting to get their shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jason Worilds Shows Speed In First Significant Action

Posted on October 28, 2010 by JJ

D!ck LeBeau’s been known as a defensive genius for years now. Last Sunday, he also turned into a scrounger.

With defensive end Brett Keisel already sidelined before the game, and after outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley and defensive end Aaron Smith went down with injuries, LeBeau was left with a difficult challenge. How do you keep a four-man defensive line rotation (with only two healthy defensive ends) fresh on a humid Miami day?

LeBeau had to turn to rookie outside linebacker Jason Worilds. He may not be ready to step in and replace Woodley, but on Sunday, Worilds saw his first significant action as a pro.

Worilds isn’t ready to replace Woodley, obviously. Pittsburgh didn’t even try. When Woodley left the field with a strained hamstring roughly five minutes into the second quarter, inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons slid outside (with Larry Foote moving into Timmons spot) for the next play. That was what Pittsburgh did every time they lined up in a 3-4 formation the rest of the game. Worilds was a hand-on-the-ground defensive end at Virginia Tech, so he’s not comfortable yet making the drops into pass coverage that are required for an outside linebacker. But it goes beyond that. What we saw on Sunday was that he’s not really ready to contribute in run defense either.

That didn’t mean Worilds didn’t have a role to play. Timmons is too valuable in his nickel linebacker spot to slide into Woodley’s defensive end spot in the nickel defense. Timmons roams the field, occasionally blitzing, but also playing coverage. So whenever the Steelers went to the nickel, Worilds replaced Woodley at left defensive end.

And that meant that he got to play a lot once Smith left early in the third quarter. With only four healthy defensive linemen, LeBeau was forced to play the nickel as his primary defense. In the nickel, he only had to put two defensive linemen on the field (and nose tackles and defensive ends both play defensive tackle in the Steelers’ nickel), so he could work a defensive line rotation that gave players a rest.

That doesn’t mean that Worilds entry didn’t force LeBeau to simplify things in the nickel as well. Normally the Steelers rely on confusion to generate a lot of pressure in their nickel package — offenses don’t know if the defensive ends are rushing or dropping into coverage with a linebacker coming instead. Since James Harrison and Woodley are comfortable in coverage, the Steelers can create confusion without creating holes in coverage.

When Worilds came in, all that went out the window. If the Steelers wanted to rush a linebacker, they had the choice of either rushing five (which LeBeau doesn’t want to do too often in passing situations) or dropping Harrison into coverage. They did drop Worilds into coverage once. He wasn’t involved in defending the pass.

But Worilds was drafted for his pass-rushing ability. And in that role, he actually did OK. Worilds doesn’t really have many pass-rush moves yet — he relies on his quickness to beat linemen on a speed rush. But he is quick enough to make that work at times.

The Dolphins passed on 18 of the 25 plays where Worilds was in the game. He rushed the passer on 17 of those plays. On 12 of those 17 rushes, he fired upfield on a speed rush. On four of those 12 plays, he managed to generate a hit on the quarterback or pressured him. He was a step away from getting to the quarterback on a fifth play. Admittedly, one of those four pressures came because he got up after right tackle Vernon Carey had laid on top of him and hustled to get back in the play, but on the other four Worilds beat his man to the outside.

Considering that Carey had to know that Worilds’ favorite move was to loop outside, Worilds’ ability to beat him to the outside is a solid sign that he has the speed to cause problems. When he looped inside, he had more problems; he didn’t generate any push when he bull-rushed or looped inside.

There were other problems, too. Since Worilds is only really comfortable firing upfield, he also opened up serious holes when the Dolphins ran the ball. Thankfully, Miami never seemed to take advantage of it, but with Worilds looping outside, Miami could have driven trucks through the holes in the right side of their line.

Worilds has a quick first step. He tried a spin move once, which didn’t really work, but it is a good sign that he’s working on developing some counters to his main move. Before he can get on the field consistently, he’ll need to develop something that can take advantage of tackles overcommitting to beating his speed rush.

All in all, though, it was a solid effort for a first game.

[url="http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/jason-worilds-shows-speed-significant-action/#more-2574"]http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/j ... #more-2574[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha