Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF James Harrison gets suspended, who takes his place?

IF James Harrison gets suspended, who takes his place?

IF James Harrison gets suspended by the NFL, who takes his place?

does Lawrence Timmons move outside and Larry Foote or Keyaron Fox play inside? does it really make sense to move Timmons who is playing so well on the inside? but if we don't, we would be forced to start one of our rookie LBs on the outside and we all know how the Steelers don't like to do that...

Re: IF James Harrison gets suspended, who takes his place?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

does Lawrence Timmons move outside and Larry Foote or Keyaron Fox play inside? does it really make sense to move Timmons who is playing so well on the inside? but if we don't, we would be forced to start one of our rookie LBs on the outside and we all know how the Steelers don't like to do that...
    Moving Timmons was the original plan, and adding Foote or Fox probably keeps the best 4 linebackers on the field, but I'm not sure that I'd like the move, since it would change two positions, rather than one.

Miami is a run heavy team that also depends a lot on Bess, a slot WR. I'd like to keep Timmons where he is, rather than have him locked up tangling with Jake Long all day. On the other hand, I'm not sure that an assignment against Jake Long is the ideal way for Worilds to make his first NFL start.

the NFL has announced that they will allow 2 players to suit up to take his place, just to be fair
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    the NFL has announced that they will allow 2 players to suit up to take his place, just to be fair
    Will the opposing o-linemen be allowed to hold both of them every play without any flags?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Will the opposing o-linemen be allowed to hold both of them every play without any flags?
    One for each hand.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

Moving Timmons was the original plan, and adding Foote or Fox probably keeps the best 4 linebackers on the field, but I'm not sure that I'd like the move, since it would change two positions, rather than one.

Miami is a run heavy team that also depends a lot on Bess, a slot WR. I'd like to keep Timmons where he is, rather than have him locked up tangling with Jake Long all day. On the other hand, I'm not sure that an assignment against Jake Long is the ideal way for Worilds to make his first NFL start.
    I think you are correct. That was the initial plan but Timmons play in the middle might make moving him outside counter productive. Instead of mixing it all up I think they start Worilds in place of Harrison. Activate Gibson gameday and after the coin toss, give a big to Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I think you are correct. That was the initial plan but Timmons play in the middle might make moving him outside counter productive. Instead of mixing it all up I think they start Worilds in place of Harrison. Activate Gibson gameday and after the coin toss, give a big to Roger.
    I like this plan, because it doesn't make two positions weaker to cover one problem. The to Goodell made me ROTFLMAO.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pro Bowler

The rule was put in to place today. They aren't going to suspend him. He may get fined but he won't be suspended. I saw no problem with either hit but this is exactly the kind of thing the media goes nuts over so they'll be talking about this all week. I still can't believe that put the rule in at all. It's pretty sad.

Updated: October 19, 2010, 2:47 PM ET

Tomlin defends James Harrison's hit

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favors the NFL's stricter enforcement of helmet hits. But he still insists linebacker James Harrison's violent hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi was within the rules.

The NFL is reviewing whether Harrison's concussion-causing hit on Massaquoi warrants a fine or suspension. The league said Tuesday it will immediately begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits, particularly those involving helmets.

Harrison sidelined Browns receivers Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs with concussions on separate hits about seven minutes apart in the second quarter of the Steelers' 28-10 victory Sunday. Harrison lowered his head and slammed helmet-first into the left side of Cribbs' helmet, but the NFL deemed the hit legal because Cribbs was a runner.

Despite the Steelers' reputation for being one of the league's most physical and intimidating teams, Tomlin said Tuesday he favors whatever the NFL deems necessary to make the game safer.

"I'm all for player safety. I think it is the proper initiative that the NFL has," he said. "I think we need to safeguard the men that play this game to the best of our abilities and make it as safe as we can. I'm a proponent of player safety and whatever rule or rule adjustments we need to make to make it safer."

One way to eliminate some of the helmet hits, he said, is to further emphasize a lowering of the strike zone -- the area where players are tackled.

"Helmet-to-helmet contact is going to occur from time to time in football," Tomlin said. "Things happen fast, these are big, moving people. I think the issue is here that we coach a lowering of the target, to reduce the number of those opportunities and to talk about flagrant or egregious approaches."

Tomlin didn't speculate whether Harrison might be fined or suspended. He stood by his postgame comments Sunday, when he said that neither hit was worthy of punishment.

Still, Tomlin said he supports whatever punitive action the league takes against any player it deems as violating the stricter rules.

"I am a proponent of levying whatever kind of punishment the NFL office deems necessary for those that are repeat offenders or those that are flagrant, and those that are egregious hits," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5703636

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98
    The rule was put in to place today. They aren't going to suspend him. He may get fined but he won't be suspended. I saw no problem with either hit but this is exactly the kind of thing the media goes nuts over so they'll be talking about this all week. I still can't believe that put the rule in at all. It's pretty sad.
    That's good news. Like I said, the hit on Cribbs shouldn't and wouldn't even be an issue if he wasn't knocked out. The other, by rule, should have been a penalty. I'm old school, so after I saw he walked off the field...I was ok with it. I would have even been ok if he got flagged...Still gets the point across. But that hit, if anything, by rule should be a fine and NO suspension.