Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin expects fans to welcome back Roethlisberger

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin expects fans to welcome back Roethlisberger

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Coach Mike Tomlin said he doesn't know how well Ben Roethlisberger will play Sunday after a lengthy layoff.

Tomlin did make one prediction regarding the Steelers quarterback and how fans at Heinz Field will react to his return from a four-game suspension.

"I expect him to get a warm reception," Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference, "I really do."

Roethlisberger will play in his first regular-season game since last January when the Steelers host the Browns ar 1 p.m.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger has practiced well since returning to the Steelers last week. But, Tomlin added, that doesn't necessarily translate into Roethlisberger playing well against the Browns.

In other news Steelers news:

• Tomlin said he hasn't decided whether Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich will serve as the Steelers' No. 2 quarterback.

• Also undecided, Tomlin said, in who will return kickoffs and punts Sunday.

Tomlin said rookie Emmanuel Sanders is a candidate to do both. The third-round draft pick has not dressed since the Steelers' season opener as fellow rookie Antonio Browns has gotten the active roster spot that he and Sanders have been battling for on a weekly basis.

• Tomlin said nose tackle Chris Hoke is expected to play after missing the Steelers' last game with a sprained knee.

Right guard Trai Essex is questionable, Tomlin said, as he was only able to participate in individual drills yesterday.

[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_703950.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin expects fans to welcome back Roethlisberger

I'll be there Sunday, with my Roethisberger jersey on, cheering for our quarterback and team, like crazy.....Here we go Ben! Here we go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

I will be proudly wearing my #7 jersey to work on Friday...been savin' it for this week!

Legend

User Info Menu

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_703950.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 03950.html[/url]

Rust and fan reaction are two things Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not fretting about when it comes to his starting quarterback.

Ben Roethlisberger makes his much-anticipated season debut Sunday against the Browns at Heinz Field. It will be the seventh-year veteran's first regular-season game since last January — and his initial one since boorish off-the-field behavior jeopardized his Steelers career and led to a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Roethlisberger was roundly cheered by Steelers fans during training camp and the preseason, and Tomlin said he expects the franchise quarterback to get a "warm reception" Sunday.

"I really think that's the nature of Steeler Nation," Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "I know we're excited about having him back. I know he's excited about getting back with his teammates and performing for our fans in Heinz Field."

Tomlin said he doesn't anticipate Roethlisberger having trouble finding his groove in his first game back despite all of the practice time that he missed.

Roethlisberger was not allowed to work out with the Steelers during his suspension. He trained with a personal quarterbacks coach, George Whitfield Jr., as many as four days a week in September.

Whitfield has said the two talked about Roethlisberger playing within himself and the Steelers' offense when he is back under center.

"I think he'll warm up to the competition and move on and be him," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger. "Competing is what he does. Playing football is what he does. I'm sure he'll get back on that bike and ride it pretty quickly."

Roethlisberger resumed working out with the Steelers on Oct. 5, and the team's bye gave him four extra practices with his teammates in advance of the game against the Browns.

"He's had a good week of practice, but it's just that. Good practice puts you in position to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves in stadiums on Sundays," Tomlin said. "He's no different from anybody else from that standpoint. I'm sure there will be some anxiety, some excitement, some nervousness that comes with playing after an extended period of time off. I'm sure he'll kind of quickly get through that as he warms up and gets the competitive juices flowing."

Roethlisberger is expected to give a lift to a passing game that ranks last in the NFL as well as provide an emotional jolt to the teammates who won three of four games in his absence.

"When he has an opportunity to compete, you feel him in the room or in the stadium," Tomlin said. "That's one of the interesting attributes about him as a player and a person. When faced with adversity, when given an opportunity to compete, man he does, and I think guys feed off of that."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know about the rest of you but I am soooooooo excited about us getting Ben back ... and therein lies the problem. I think it is going to be almost impossible for Ben to live up to the expectations I/we have for his return.

He is going to have to throw for 3 or 4 TDs and over 300 hundred yards and we are going to say "see, we told you how good our offense was going to be with Ben". The problem with this is I don't want Ben to have the opportunity to put up those types of stats. I want Mendy to run for 120-140 with 1 or 2 TDs and Ben to throw for 200 hundred yards and 1 or 2 TDs on about 23 attempts.

Now the question is will the Steeler fans be satisfied if Ben only throws for a little over 200 yards and 1 TD but we win 24-10?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If Steelers fans are consistent they will cheer Ben just like they cheered Hometown Hero and the QB America was rooting for, Charlie Batch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    If Steelers fans are consistent they will cheer Ben just like they cheered Hometown Hero and the QB America was rooting for, Charlie Batch.
    Why do I have a feeling you will be booing Goodell the whole game?

I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Why do I have a feeling you will be booing Goodell the whole game?

I don't boo Goodell when I watch the Steelers. I just hope someone realizes how bad he is for the game and they remove him from his position before he ruins it.

Nothing but a common jock sniffer who's living his life through these players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is no question in my mind that Steeler fans will be cheering for Ben. Like I said before I just hope he can live up to the fans expectations.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know what to expect when his name is announced and he comes out of the tunnel.
    I imagine he'll get a great reception from the fans as he trots out onto the field.

I'm sure they'll be cheering when he throws a TD pass.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]