Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so are you a believer yet?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: so are you a believer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Don't guage the OL as a whole at all through the first 4 games. If you want to break down individual efforts, that will be more productive. If you haven't watched the first two games and can see why I say this, than you are a Steelers fan who isn't really familiar with the game of football. Not said to insult anyone, just the facts. Anyone of us could be a DC for the opposing team and game plan against the Steelers while Ben is away. I consider the OL play very productive given the situation they are up against. The Steelers are facing defensive fronts that are +2 against the Steelers blocking schemes. We won't see that through the whole game when Ben is back there. BA will use the arm of BB to back them out of it.

Through 2 games:
    Appreciate Starks more.
    Kemo is a force on the move.
    Pouncey is a stud. Only one more test I need to see and that is Ngata.
    Essex is coming along. Happy with his run blocking but need to move his feet in pass pro.
    Adams is a dominant run blocker. Is coming along at RT in pass pro.

Steelers have quality depth on the OL. Yes, I am saying this even with the lack of production of the offense through the first two games. Rotating 3 OTs to keep them hydrated and still being able to have some success is unreal. Scott & Hills had their bad moments but I am very happy with what I saw. OTs need snaps in a game to learn tendancies and I was impressed with the limited work of Hills on the left side and when Scott jumped to the right in rotation. Scott isn't Starks but he is serviceable as a back-up on the left. Legursky also played well when Essex went down. That was a talented set of 8 DL the Steelers saw all day in rotation.

While we are talking about lineman, I want to jump to the other side of the ball. The 6 in rotation were highly productive. 2nd line had no drop off. They always should get their due. Don't look at the roster for McClendon's real measurements. I always wondered why they saw a 280 NT as a keeper. Here the kid is 6'4" 310 and strong. Held his own. Opened my eyes some after seeing him in game. Good value for a PS player.
    JPN--I always pay attention to what you say about the OL because you seem to have a better eye for that than the vast majority of this board. I also can't say I am as down on the OL as many seem to. I do think Essex is a problem but other than the frequent Kemo bonehead play I think the OL has done well and will just get better.

We saw yesterday why they are so high on McLendon. But the problem now is can they really try to get him back onto the PS or will he get grabbed by another team after yesterday's solid performance. That will be worth watching.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Don't guage the OL as a whole at all through the first 4 games. If you want to break down individual efforts, that will be more productive. If you haven't watched the first two games and can see why I say this, than you are a Steelers fan who isn't really familiar with the game of football. Not said to insult anyone, just the facts. Anyone of us could be a DC for the opposing team and game plan against the Steelers while Ben is away. I consider the OL play very productive given the situation they are up against. The Steelers are facing defensive fronts that are +2 against the Steelers blocking schemes. We won't see that through the whole game when Ben is back there. BA will use the arm of BB to back them out of it.

Through 2 games:
    Appreciate Starks more.
    Kemo is a force on the move.
    Pouncey is a stud. Only one more test I need to see and that is Ngata.
    Essex is coming along. Happy with his run blocking but need to move his feet in pass pro.
    Adams is a dominant run blocker. Is coming along at RT in pass pro.

Steelers have quality depth on the OL. Yes, I am saying this even with the lack of production of the offense through the first two games. Rotating 3 OTs to keep them hydrated and still being able to have some success is unreal. Scott & Hills had their bad moments but I am very happy with what I saw. OTs need snaps in a game to learn tendancies and I was impressed with the limited work of Hills on the left side and when Scott jumped to the right in rotation. Scott isn't Starks but he is serviceable as a back-up on the left. Legursky also played well when Essex went down. That was a talented set of 8 DL the Steelers saw all day in rotation.

While we are talking about lineman, I want to jump to the other side of the ball. The 6 in rotation were highly productive. 2nd line had no drop off. They always should get their due. Don't look at the roster for McClendon's real measurements. I always wondered why they saw a 280 NT as a keeper. Here the kid is 6'4" 310 and strong. Held his own. Opened my eyes some after seeing him in game. Good value for a PS player.
    JPN--I always pay attention to what you say about the OL because you seem to have a better eye for that than the vast majority of this board. I also can't say I am as down on the OL as many seem to. I do think Essex is a problem but other than the frequent Kemo bonehead play I think the OL has done well and will just get better.

We saw yesterday why they are so high on McLendon. But the problem now is can they really try to get him back onto the PS or will he get grabbed by another team after yesterday's solid performance. That will be worth watching.
    I just hope some fans realize that what is going on in the trenches is almost as if the defense had an ear in the huddle. Everyone can clearly see the percentage increase of the Steelers in any given situation to run the ball through the first 4 games.

It was nice to see what the coaches see yesterday with McClendon. We saw what they would see everyday in practice when he lined up against the Steelers starting OL. His is clearly #3 at NT but makes you optimistic about the depth now that there is some youth. The Titans OL is highly regarded and the ILBs ran free behind the 2nd line. I was impressed. Saying that, I agree with your point. Might be a little early but true 3-4 NT are hard to find. Some injuries on other teams could have them sniffin in the Steelers talent pool.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The ideal scenario is playing out ... we go 4-0 without Ben, but it's obvious that it's because of the D. Hence no controversy/strain decision-wise. Plus Ben comes back on a bye week - extra week of practice and we play the Browns. That gives Ben 3 weeks to acclimate before real competition. Plus, Ben will be fresh. This suspension is transforming into a blessing in disguise ... thanks to the D.