Thread: Jordan Staal to miss the start of the season

Legend

User Info Menu

Jordan Staal to miss the start of the season

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5579636[/url]

Jordan Staal out another 5-6 weeks
    Associated Press
    Updated: September 16, 2010, 12:57 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Penguins forward Jordan Staal needs five to six weeks to recover from the latest procedure performed on his infected right foot and will miss the start of the NHL season.

A tendon on the top of Staal's foot was sliced when Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban stepped on it April 30 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series.

Staal had surgery and returned to play in less than a week.

After the Penguins were eliminated in the series, Staal had two additional procedures to remove infected tissue in the foot. Staal also required treatment with antibiotics.

The 22-year-old Staal has never missed a regular-season game to injury in four NHL seasons, but has done little skating this summer because of the injury. A finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league's top defensive forward, he wore a walking boot and was on crutches during the NHL awards dinner June 23.

"Jordan developed a post-op infection in his foot, and it required several procedures to ensure that all infected tissues were removed," Penguins physician Charles Burke said in a statement released by the team.

"Jordan was bothered by a localized recurrent infection in the tissue area near the tendon repair. This has required treatment with both antibiotics and several repeat debridements [clean-outs] to remove infected tissue. We are confident the situation has been resolved."

The Penguins open training camp Friday and begin the season Oct. 7 at home against Philadelphia. If Staal returns in five weeks, he could play as early as Oct. 21 at Nashville.

"The most important thing now is that the infection has been addressed and Jordan is on the road to recovery," Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. "While we know he is disappointed that he will miss the start of the season, he will now be able to make a full recovery and get back on the ice early in the season."

Staal had 21 goals and 28 assists last season and led the Penguins with a plus-19 rating. He had a career high 29 goals as a rookie in 2006-07.

Staal usually centers the Penguins' third line, but is expected to move up to their No. 2 line this season, with Evgeni Malkin shifting from center to a wing to play alongside him.

The Penguins didn't have the salary-cap room to add an expensive forward after signing defensemen Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek, and putting Malkin and Staal together could give them another scoring line to complement Sidney Crosby's No. 1 line.

The Penguins did not re-sign forward Bill Guerin, so finding a linemate for Crosby -- a recurring theme -- will be a priority during camp.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Re: Jordan Staal to miss the start of the season

That's a bad break, but Staal is a warrior he'll be back as soon as humanly possible I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to watching him centering the 2nd line with Geno on a wing this coming season.

I'm almost as excited for this coming Pen's season as I always am for Steelers season to start.... Almost.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless7
    That's a bad break, but Staal is a warrior he'll be back as soon as humanly possible I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to watching him centering the 2nd line with Geno on a wing this coming season.

I'm almost as excited for this coming Pen's season as I always am for Steelers season to start.... Almost.
    When they are all healthy, I'd prefer to see Malkin on Crosby's wing instead of Staal's wing.

Put two of the best hockey players in the world together on the top line with Kunitz to occupy space in front of the net to screen the goalie and tip in shots.

Then you can keep the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line intact (moving it up from 3rd to 2nd line, though).

For a 3rd line, you could get a bunch of energy out of Dupuis-Talbot-Comrie.

For a 4th line, you'd have plenty of grit with Asham-Adams-Rupp.

With Staal out of the picture at the start of the season, perhaps we will see something like this out of the gate:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
    Talbot-Malkin-Kennedy
    Cooke-Comrie-Rupp
    Asham-Adams-Godard

If someone like Eric Tangradi makes the team coming out of camp, you could insert him on the 3rd line in place of Rupp, moving Rupp down to the 4th line to take Godard's spot.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless7

When they are all healthy, I'd prefer to see Malkin on Crosby's wing instead of Staal's wing.

Put two of the best hockey players in the world together on the top line with Kunitz to occupy space in front of the net to screen the goalie and tip in shots.

Then you can keep the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line intact (moving it up from 3rd to 2nd line, though).

For a 3rd line, you could get a bunch of energy out of Dupuis-Talbot-Comrie.

For a 4th line, you'd have plenty of grit with Asham-Adams-Rupp.

With Staal out of the picture at the start of the season, perhaps we will see something like this out of the gate:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
    Talbot-Malkin-Kennedy
    Cooke-Comrie-Rupp
    Asham-Adams-Godard

If someone like Eric Tangradi makes the team coming out of camp, you could insert him on the 3rd line in place of Rupp, moving Rupp down to the 4th line to take Godard's spot.

I would respectfully disagree about the top line anyhow. I think because you do DO have two of the best players in the world you almost HAVE to break them up so the other team has to "pick their poison" so to speak. If Geno was a wing on Sid's line they'd see the other teams Top defensive forward lines, plus the top defensive pairings each and every shift. I'd much rather make a team try to counter TWO deadly lines rather than one.

Also I like your line groupings but I think they are going to AT LEAST "kick the tires" on Comrie being a top 6 winger in camp. I like Cooke as much as you do, and I've been a BIG TK fan in the past, but I was disappointed in his play last year, especially in the playoffs. I think this will be a pivotal year for him to take a step up with guys like Tangradi, Letestu, and Chris Conner being ready, or nearly ready for the Big Club.

Just a guess but maybe the lines look like this when Staal comes back:

Comrie-Crosby-Dupuis
    Kunitz-Staal-Malkin
    Cooke - Talbot - Asham/ Kennedy
    Rupp - Adams - Kennedy/ Asham

Goddard..... Tangradi

?

The question for me is with Jordan out do you keep Geno at a wing for 3 weeks with Talbot centering the 2nd line, or do you keep him at 2nd line center and have him center Comrie and maybe.... Kennedy?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Heard today that Geno was a winger on line two with Tangradi and Comrie centering it. Perhaps that's the way they will go with Staal out?