Thread: question regarding Reggie Bush

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

question regarding Reggie Bush

I understand he got in trouble becasue he accepted luxurious gifts such as cars, jewelry and clothes, however, what if a spoiled rich athlete who has rich parents gets bought a fancy car, clothes and jewelry from their parents, do they get in trouble too or is that okay?? is it just because its an outside source that got the gifts for Bush and that is why he got in trouble??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: question regarding Reggie Bush

It seems it was just because he accepted gifts that "student athletes" aren't allowed to accept. This whole thing is a sick joke, IMO. They yanked the guys Heisman when he was indeed the best player in college ball. It's not like he was taking PED's or something that made him play better.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    It seems it was just because he accepted gifts that "student athletes" aren't allowed to accept. This whole thing is a sick joke, IMO. They yanked the guys Heisman when he was indeed the best player in college ball. It's not like he was taking PED's or something that made him play better.

Yea, I agree with you, and I am a stickler for rules too. These athletes make so much money for their colleges and are not allowed anything.
    I know that when I was in college I was only allowed 3 meals a day with my meal plan, what if an offensive lineman from USC had 4 meals a day at a cafeteria, are they done in college then, what Marc Sanchez had a bag of pretzels at reggie bushes apartment, did he accept a gift illegally???
    So if Peyton Manning was driving the campus of Tennessee with a brand new car that is okay but Bush was screwed because someone other than his family got him something

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609

Yea, I agree with you, and I am a stickler for rules too. These athletes make so much money for their colleges and are not allowed anything.
    I know that when I was in college I was only allowed 3 meals a day with my meal plan, what if an offensive lineman from USC had 4 meals a day at a cafeteria, are they done in college then, what Marc Sanchez had a bag of pretzels at reggie bushes apartment, did he accept a gift illegally???
    So if Peyton Manning was driving the campus of Tennessee with a brand new car that is okay but Bush was screwed because someone other than his family got him something

I think there is some level of common sense involved. Wow, never thought I'd say that about the NCAA... I must be getting old. I think the issue is WAY more of WHO is providing the "gifts" than what they are. Bush accepted gifts from a guy that stood to make money from him down the road. In essence it was a "down payment" for future services rendered. Thus negating his status as an amateur. The NCAA, as it is currently structured, will NEVER tolerate "payment" in ANY form... ESPECIALLY from someone who will profit from you in the future, or someone who is a "booster" of the college you attend. The NCAA will fight that tooth and nail every time. Whether you are Reggie Bush or a 3rd string quarterback from Wyoming State.

As far as the "they make money for the university but get nothing in return" argument. While I'll agree to an EXTENT.... have you priced a 4 year education at these colleges lately? If you put a dollar figure on that and count that as their "payment".. I'd say they are being handsomely rewarded.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless7
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609

I think there is some level of common sense involved. Wow, never thought I'd say that about the NCAA... I must be getting old. I think the issue is WAY more of WHO is providing the "gifts" than what they are. Bush accepted gifts from a guy that stood to make money from him down the road. In essence it was a "down payment" for future services rendered. Thus negating his status as an amateur. The NCAA, as it is currently structured, will NEVER tolerate "payment" in ANY form... ESPECIALLY from someone who will profit from you in the future, or someone who is a "booster" of the college you attend. The NCAA will fight that tooth and nail every time. Whether you are Reggie Bush or a 3rd string quarterback from Wyoming State.

As far as the "they make money for the university but get nothing in return" argument. While I'll agree to an EXTENT.... have you priced a 4 year education at these colleges lately? If you put a dollar figure on that and count that as their "payment".. I'd say they are being handsomely rewarded.

I agree, I am getting my fricking masters at Cal and it is 24,000 for one year...
    Athletes dont use college football for studies, the elite ones pass through it as a stepping stone to the NFL anyway..

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed on the lack of scholarly pursuits in college athletics, but you have to remember that some schools survive on the income from sports, particularly football.

It's not perfect, but it works.

If only we could fix the mess in DC first!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Agreed on the lack of scholarly pursuits in college athletics, but you have to remember that some schools survive on the income from sports, particularly football.

It's not perfect, but it works.

If only we could fix the mess in DC first!
    now there is something we can all agree on